Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
for those that have rented from Avis

how did you rent? did you just rent the camaro online? did you rent something else and upgrade to the camaro once there?

i rented the camaro online a while back and was just wondering if it was cheaper to go that route, or to rent something else and upgrade to the camaro when picking up the rental.

i fear that if i did that, there might not be any and feel that if i rent the camaro online, they basically will have one on hold for me for my reservation.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
LEX2CAMARO

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS-YELLOW OR BLACK?
I rented one to drive to COMIC-CON in San Diego few weeks back.

I took pix but too lazy to post them.... I was calling my local Airport, Ontario Los Angeles CA for few weeks back and I was told that the only Camaro available was at LAX (50 miles from me)

I not a fanatic so did not want to drive back and forth for the car. A day before COMIC-CON i called Ontario Airport and they said that do have Camaros for rent but i literary have to come NOW and drive off

I called the morning of the trip and went to the airport. The ONLY car they had was a Silver 1LT/RS with 6 miles on it!! I sooooo wanted the SS but no go...Well i rented the RS and drove 100 miles to COMIC-CON and then from San Diego to Santa Monica (met my wife and my 3 1/2 yr old son who fell in love with the car and literally cried when I had to return it) and then back Inland. I put close to 300 miles in 1 day....

The looks and comments i got, i thought i was driving a Lambo (my dream car) It was awsome. The car was great! And I had a BALL driving it.

The AVIS ppl tried to pull my chain on the rental my jacking up the rental price but by the time i go the airport I "negotiated" with SAM'S CLUB discounts and slick talk to 150 + tax/fees for 1 day (it may not be the best but they had initially quoted me $200 + tax/fees

Honestly it was kinda weird that it all worked out....I did not reserve it but sort kinda showed up an hour after talking to someone over the phone at the airport....The AVIS Camaro had a flat so they ended up giving the one from budget....same car...
LEX2CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

cool!! i rented one a while back to check it out and be able to drive it etc..got the SS. victory red. it was sweet! so sweet that i've got another opportunity to rent a car and figured, why not the camaro again? lol. i'm about 5 minutes from LAX so that's where i'll pick it up.

just want to get a good deal on it. i thought i remembered someone on here saying they rented something else and upgraded to the camaro once there and got a better deal on it than when they looked online. just want to confirm and see if it's worth it, discount wise.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Wink

I rented one in Chicago a few weeks ago. I just walked up and asked for one. I paid $108 for the day (unlimited miles included). It was awesome!!!

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
LEX2CAMARO

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS-YELLOW OR BLACK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
I rented one in Chicago a few weeks ago. I just walked up and asked for one. I paid $108 for the day (unlimited miles included). It was awesome!!!

Thats almost what i did...did you get the SS for $108? Did that included $50 + of taxes and fees....??

BTW, here some pix of the Silver RS i rented....sorry for the pix quality...its from my Iphone 3GS cam...

LEX2CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
I just walked up and asked to rent one. They had 2, a red and a black, so I chose the black since its closest to my CGM. It was a 2SS with sunroof.
$108 is cheap! Mine cost me a little over $200 for a day, after taxes and such, unlimited mileage.
Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea load up on insurance if you do.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

I'm looking at about $200-210/day after taxes and fees...add I think $30/day, I forget, for that insurance. That's unlimited mileage, 2SS, and I just bring it back full when I return it.

With gas prices now, it might be cheaper to buy a tank from them and return it with whatever fuel is in it when I'm done. Last I saw their rate was $2.89/gal. Premium is quite a bit more than that.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea but they would probably just put cheap swill in it. If your gonna pay that much put some super if it's an SS.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
I rented this last week from Orlando airport. $138/day

Reserved it on line about a month in advance.

I checked with my Insurance Co. You should not have to buy their insurance, its a rip off. Don't just load up.

My liability covered me for any damages up to my limit which was $40K. So if I totalled the car I was covered, but if I caused an accident involving another car it could have gone above. For the week I bumped the limit to $100K, then returned it to normal after the rental, cost me like $0.06 a day. WAY better than what Avis wanted.

DISCLAIMER: Recommend you check with your insurance.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Yea but they would probably just put cheap swill in it. If your gonna pay that much put some super if it's an SS.
it's already full when you get it, at least it was last time I rented. so I think they just charge you what their rate is multiplied by the gas tank size. Which I wish I did last time cause it was cheaper than actual prices at the pump. Oh well.

Thanks for the info on the insurance, I'll look into it.