Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Tire swap article from Z28 to 1LE

It would have been more interesting if they had run it around a road course for comparison also.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._make_the_car/
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
It would have been more interesting if they had run it around a road course for comparison also.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._make_the_car/

Nice find...They really need some time on a road course with both cars...

Here is my swap from 1LE to Z/28 wheels...I had Bridgestone at first but moved to a Hankook RS3...Not sure how I feel about the RS3 yet, but will be at Gingerman Raceway again Friday to try them out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369676

Matt
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Wow, the 1LE stops quicker than the Z/28 with it's tires!? I would not have guessed this from a car with those massive brakes. And only 35 pounds less eh? Hmm...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Wow, the 1LE stops quicker than the Z/28 with it's tires!? I would not have guessed this from a car with those massive brakes. And only 35 pounds less eh? Hmm...
I noticed this as well.

I'm guessing the reason for this is the amount of heat in the brakes. I'm sure the Carbon Ceramics, when cold, will not stop as well as they do when they are warmed up. I'm sure for this brake test they did not get the brakes good and hot on both cars before testing them. And since the steel rotors with 1LE pads are designed as a compromise street/track pad they likely have more bite cold than the carbon ceramics do. With the extra grip of the Trofeo tires on the 1LE then the brakes can stop the car faster.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
The 1LE is great bang for the buck.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
LEO1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/1LE Victory Red
Very informative article.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I noticed this as well.

I'm guessing the reason for this is the amount of heat in the brakes. I'm sure the Carbon Ceramics, when cold, will not stop as well as they do when they are warmed up. I'm sure for this brake test they did not get the brakes good and hot on both cars before testing them. And since the steel rotors with 1LE pads are designed as a compromise street/track pad they likely have more bite cold than the carbon ceramics do. With the extra grip of the Trofeo tires on the 1LE then the brakes can stop the car faster.
I don't think that's the reason. Motortrend is pretty good on not skipping such steps, and they repeat the tests 10+ times anyway.

On the surface they used, 1LE's softer suspension or less engine weight might have fared better. Who knows? One would need to analyze all the data.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Wasn't it claimed that the z28 can pull -1.5g in decel? I sure as hell know the the 1le can't. Even With CTSV brakes I'm only hitting -1g and getting into the ABS a little. Although, my stops are from 100>40. 60>0 quite possibly is different.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Wasn't it claimed that the z28 can pull -1.5g in decel? I sure as hell know the the 1le can't. Even With CTSV brakes I'm only hitting -1g and getting into the ABS a little. Although, my stops are from 100>40. 60>0 quite possibly is different.
What tires do you use, though? Sticky tires, in my experience, can increase the threshold for ABS by a huge margin.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Nice find...They really need some time on a road course with both cars...

Here is my swap from 1LE to Z/28 wheels...I had Bridgestone at first but moved to a Hankook RS3...Not sure how I feel about the RS3 yet, but will be at Gingerman Raceway again Friday to try them out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369676

Matt
I wish we could convince you to try Trofeo Rs, Cup 2 tires, and the like, or even R888s from a budget standpoint.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Gentlemen, you must remember that single-distance braking tests are not a test of brakes, but a test of tires and suspension (suspension as far as using all 4 tires as effectively as possible).

There isn't a vehicle manufactured today that cannot activate its anti-lock braking system if you stand on the pedal. In other words, EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE ON THE ROAD already has more braking power than it can use. Larger rotors do not provide shorter stopping distances, they provide greater surface area with which to dissipate heat. The big difference between great brakes and okay brakes is all about repeated performance. An Escalade's brakes are more than powerful enough to lock up all four corners, but put it on a track and it will overheat those brakes in no time.

So, it should be ENTIRELY expected that the 1LE will stop shorter with the Z28s wheels and tires because those wheels and tires offer more grip. End of story. Now, put Z28 wheels and tires on BOTH vehicles, and run those vehicles at full speed on the track, and the 1LE will cook its brakes and the Z28 won't. That is the difference. That is what you pay the money for.

Suspension also plays a meaningful role in braking, as too much dive at the front and/or lift at the back will put too much of the overall braking responsibility on only 2 tires (the fronts). Porsche 911s always do phenomenally in 60-0 and 70-0 braking tests despite having relatively skinny front tires (I think a 911S only runs a 245 width front tire) because the rear-engine setup helps keep more weight over the rear wheels while braking. This allows the rear tires to help stop the car moreso than the rear tires on almost any other car on the road today.

It always kills me when a car magazine or journalist is impressed with a car's stopping prowess and praises the brakes. Brakes are what stop you repeatedly, tires are what stop you once.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Gentlemen, you must remember that single-distance braking tests are not a test of brakes, but a test of tires and suspension (suspension as far as using all 4 tires as effectively as possible).

There isn't a vehicle manufactured today that cannot activate its anti-lock braking system if you stand on the pedal. In other words, EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE ON THE ROAD already has more braking power than it can use. Larger rotors do not provide shorter stopping distances, they provide greater surface area with which to dissipate heat. The big difference between great brakes and okay brakes is all about repeated performance. An Escalade's brakes are more than powerful enough to lock up all four corners, but put it on a track and it will overheat those brakes in no time.

So, it should be ENTIRELY expected that the 1LE will stop shorter with the Z28s wheels and tires because those wheels and tires offer more grip. End of story. Now, put Z28 wheels and tires on BOTH vehicles, and run those vehicles at full speed on the track, and the 1LE will cook its brakes and the Z28 won't. That is the difference. That is what you pay the money for.

Suspension also plays a meaningful role in braking, as too much dive at the front and/or lift at the back will put too much of the overall braking responsibility on only 2 tires (the fronts). Porsche 911s always do phenomenally in 60-0 and 70-0 braking tests despite having relatively skinny front tires (I think a 911S only runs a 245 width front tire) because the rear-engine setup helps keep more weight over the rear wheels while braking. This allows the rear tires to help stop the car moreso than the rear tires on almost any other car on the road today.

It always kills me when a car magazine or journalist is impressed with a car's stopping prowess and praises the brakes. Brakes are what stop you repeatedly, tires are what stop you once.
So the confusion is not that 1LE stops better with those wheels, but rather 1LE with the Z/28 wheels stops even better than Z/28 with its own wheels. As you mentioned, that takes a very good suspension set-up besides anything else, and one would think DSSV dampers on the Z/28s are better tuned/matched to the chassis than any other suspension in Camaro family.

I still think lighter engine (and engine equipment up front) might have something to do with it..
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Anyone with a Z/28 want to drive my 1LE around a road course with their Z/28 wheels & tires?
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The 1LE is great bang for the buck.
No doubt. And at roughly half the price too.