Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
shelbyGT500

Drives: 07 shelby GT-500
new members opinion on chevy

I am a newbie here although am a enthusiast to many ford svt boards.

I am a car enthusiast through and through . The worst you will find.

Over the last week i have read many post on here and figured id give my opinion in summary form to some of them i have read and agrred and disagreed.

I am the proud owner of 3 SVT vehicles including 2 lightnings and 1 Shelby GT-500.I love all muscle cars as long as they are american brand.No offense to the ricers since that what was available to them growing up in recent years, but i dont care for the cars.I do however respect the ricers for having the love of cars and without the younger generation, automobile aftermarket companies would go bankrupt.the only reason i dont have a chevy right now is because they dropped the ball on performance cars and trucks.

I will be buying a new camaro when they are released.It will be a top of the line model which ever chevy chooses and will be white .Thats is all i know right now since options are not even close to release yet.

I think chevy has really not done ANYTHING for their enthusiast since the 454ss in their truck department which sickens me because thay have stuck ss badges on everything that doesnt deserve it but CHOSE not to build a truck to compete with the Lightnings of 5 year production.Us truck enthisiast would have been happy with a shotbed 2wd ls2 with ss badges.Instead we got nothingThey lost alot of $$ and respect on that one.

Nothing against the last camaro but truthfully I have not liked the style of it since the 80s.HP or not, its still a rattlebox with anything over 30k miles although it does perform well, Just not a great car imho.The same goes for the 94 up mustang.I HATED those cars worse.too bubbly .At least chevy kept the heritage of t-tops alive and it was a much better design than the 80s and 70s.I would definatley take a 94-02 camaro over a 94-04 mustang any day.

I obviously like the new mustang.
I like the new challenger and will buy one too .
I love the new camaro and think chevy did a great job with its retro styling.Other than the 80s iroc (proball cause i grew up with the cars) 69 is the best year to copy!

I feel this is the ABSOLUTE LAST muscle car era so enjoy them now and take care of them because they enviromental changes that are coming will scare you.Thats why I will be buying 1 of each.(DODGE,FORD, CHEVY)I feel these cars will be so recognizable for 50 years and i see a duplication of the 70s coming real soon.Not to gas shortage but unfortunatley a PERMANENT issue with enviroment not gas supply.

If you really care about gas mileage, DONT BUY a camaro.Or at least buy a 6cyl.Muscle cars are exactly that ,and the people I hear on here complaing about gas mileage should be shot.Its people like you who screw it up for the rest of us who just want a muscle car for its true intentions.
You dont like it, buy a cobalt! or a honda!People like you are the reason there are ss badges on everything from the trailblazer to the malibu. The Trailblazer and the cobalt is probally the only vehicles which deserve the name.Im not even crazy about the sport utility but it kinda replaces the typhoon so im cool with that.

Although i think the headlights would look awesome with hideaways, probally not going to make it.

Targa top would be AWESOME!!

Center console has to stay

I would like to see navigation and all the luxuries of modern cars with the muscle car look and power.

I think they should be badged accordingly. CAMARO, Z28, SS in that order

Just like you all, i cant wait for the new camaro.I think its about time chevy starts making cars for the enthusiast instead of bean counters. Its the enthusiast who are the most brand loyal after all.Now all they need is an ss silverado.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Welcome! You have some very good points there. I, too, wish to have seen a truck to compete w/ the Lightning and the Dodge's SRT truck. Sure, chevy came out w/ an SS truck, but it wansn't even close to being worthy of the SS nameplate. I would love to see a rendition of the old Typhoon or Cylcone. Those were some quick "trucks". Again, welcome to the site and I hope you findm a lot of info here for your new Camaro.

Hey, how is my 4th Gen SS a rattlebox?!!??!! I ran my last one up to 60K before it got totalled and I had NO problems. Did you own a 4th Gen that fell apart?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
shelbyGT500

I certainly did not intend on disrespecting anybody with that comment.I just had a friend with a brand new ws6 and i wasnt overly impressed with the road noise thats all.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
shelbyGT500

Oh yea here is my honest opinion of the shelby gt500.

The car is INCEDIBLY fast.To the point of you CANNOT drive it in traffic unless you are just cruising.As SOON as you hit the throttle, you are right on the brakes HARD.

The car has best brakes ive ever had or witnessed.

terrible wheel hop. 1st gear is usless.Its either hopping or spinning and most of the time its doing both.

6th gear is useless unless you take the governer off.Even for crusising at 80mph, you really dont need 6th unless your cruisong at 120-130 which is actually reallly really comfy in this car.

The car does 85 mph in 2nd gear,and 130-135 in 4th.It gets up to 155 in the same amount of time a normal car gets to 75-80.Yes i have done it Its incredibly fast and is best used on a highway.Its the smoothest car i have ever driven at 150mph.Not a whisper of outside noise.strait and tight grip on the road.No floating nothing.I can easily see 175-180 in this car.Its definatley got the power and gear to go that fast.You gould litterally go in and out of traffic at 120mph and feel more than comfotable.(No i have not done this but you could)

decent headroom (forget the back seat unless they are 8yr olds).

Definatley needs louder sound from exhaust.A stock 89 gt was louder

Shifting is not exactly superb but id pretty good.Kind of hard to shift into the right gear.(too many gears) I really like 5 speeds myself.

rides like a luxury car until you steer hard when its grips incredible and firm..Its the best overall sports car ride i have ever driven although its got its negative factors also.

I paid $18k over sticker a for a total of $61k and have been asked if i would again.YES YES YES Truthfully if this car was priced same as a loaded c6 (not ZO6) which is around $60k, I think its a steal.Ford tried to do the right thing by making the stickers low 40s but we all had to pay more.No its not a corvette but it is a shelby.I would have rather the MSRP be higher than get raped like i did.

Matter of fact, if chevy wasnt going to make a camaro and doge a challenger, i would buy another to mod heavily and keep one original.Instead i will buy 1 of each and be broke

Any questions just ask.As you can see, its not my daughter,ill tell you the truth, its only a car.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyGT500 View Post
I certainly did not intend on disrespecting anybody with that comment.I just had a friend with a brand new ws6 and i wasnt overly impressed with the road noise thats all.
I was only playin. I understood as a whole from your post that you respect everyones rides. It's all good.

Road noise wasn't too bad...until I put the loudmouth exhaust in the old Z28. Then, yeah....it was just that...loud. I took out the seats, center console, and carpet leaving bare metal floorboards all the way to the back hatch and installed something similar to Dynamat (only a lot less expensive). It helped out quite a bit w/ the noise, but added a little to the weight.

Sounds like your Shelby is truly a work of art. I love the old 93 Cobras (body style was gorgeous) and these new stangs are really nice. Be careful on the roads, my friend. We'd like to have you around for a while. Does the Shelby have independant or live axle? I ask because of the wheelhop in 1st. I'm hoping that even though the Camaro will have an independant rear suspension, GM will be able to figure out how to eliminate the wheel hop entirely.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Oh yea here is my honest opinion of the shelby gt500.

The car is INCEDIBLY fast.To the point of you CANNOT drive it in traffic unless you are just cruising.As SOON as you hit the throttle, you are right on the brakes HARD.
How is driving this car in traffic any different then a Corvette Z06?
I had the chance to spend a day or so in a nice black C6 Z06 during the fall of 2005. Beside being the most powerful vehicle I've piloted, the Z06 can be very tame as a daily driver.

I can see being on the brakes hard immediately if you give it too much throttle to start with
Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I was only playin. I understood as a whole from your post that you respect everyones rides. It's all good.

Road noise wasn't too bad...until I put the loudmouth exhaust in the old Z28. Then, yeah....it was just that...loud. I took out the seats, center console, and carpet leaving bare metal floorboards all the way to the back hatch and installed something similar to Dynamat (only a lot less expensive). It helped out quite a bit w/ the noise, but added a little to the weight.

Sounds like your Shelby is truly a work of art. I love the old 93 Cobras (body style was gorgeous) and these new stangs are really nice. Be careful on the roads, my friend. We'd like to have you around for a while. Does the Shelby have independant or live axle? I ask because of the wheelhop in 1st. I'm hoping that even though the Camaro will have an independant rear suspension, GM will be able to figure out how to eliminate the wheel hop entirely.
Live.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
shelbyGT500

This car absolutley can be driven on the street like a stock gt Until you hit the throttle, you would never know the difference..Its just hard to keep out of it with all that power there..But yes this car can be very civilized.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Welcome to the site. Post a pic. of your Shelby sometime.

I've seen a few Shelbys in the neighborhood. Not bad.

Our local Ford dealer was alloted two. My sister inquired, was called to be told she was given the opportunity to order the 2nd to her specs., and told $25K over sticker. To which my reply was...:middlefinger:

As for your friends WS6, its quite possible his "didn't enjoy a good life." I know of ALOT of F-bodys, over 30K, that look and ride like new.

Thanks for joining the site. IMO, having the occassional Ford, Mopar, etc., around makes for a more enjoyable and better rounded site.

Here's to the new Camaro's arrival, along with the Challenger. I'm looking forward to seeing the return of the rivalry between the 'Big Three'.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
WILHELM

Drives: N/A
Quote:
I think they should be badged accordingly. CAMARO, Z28, SS in that order.
Plus one my foo.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Quote:
No offense to the ricers
Why?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
Yeah its cool to bash ricers.Just respect the american muscle...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomash View Post
Why?
Because they are car enthusiast too and I’d rather have them next to me at a stoplight as opposed to another Camry or Prius driver.

There are always those who take customizing too far, more so ricers than others, just look at SEMA. There will be plenty who mod up there Camaros to “Rice” levels with wings, crazy paint jobs and over done stripes and bodykits. While I will laugh at them it’s at least someone who cares about cars.

Question on the GT500. I imagine it’s insanely fast in a straight line but would think there would be a fair amount of push due to the weight. One of the advantages the Corvette has is it has a very powerful engine but isn’t toting around an extra 900lbs. Not to mention having an IRS.

I guess I’m not the target for that much power as I’d prefer 250hp and 2000lbs than 500hp and 4000lbs. Now of course 300hp and 2000lbs would be great but once you get past that 7-8lbs per hp there just doesn’t seem any real place you can exercise that.

Drove a 135 this past weekend, realistically it probably makes 325hp (only rated at 300) and 300 lb feet of torque and weighs about 3300-3400lbs. It felt hugely fast, I can only imagine what GT500 or vette must feel like. I think it will be hard for me to preserve my license in a 400hp SS.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Welcome to the site yeh man no need to hate on the 6 cyl camaro . Some people can't afford the. V8 I know I'm going to enjoy my 6cyl. Btw, I saw my first challenger on my way to las vegas

Closed Thread