Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #43
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I'm pretty sure he still has to pay tax on the purchase of the car at market value.
Still, he practically stole this car. To be a fly on the wall when he found out he won...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #44
Havanaalex

Drives: SSRS 2010 Camaro
Its called a 'penny auction" but you don't actually bid with penny's its most likely a dollar for every "penny" bid you receive but none the less his sill got a steal

Quikbids.com is another sight like this for electronics
Havanaalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #45
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
If I bought a Camaro for $5.28 I know I would be a lot more excited!! But congrats to the winner.

Ok, were did I put my change from the snack machine today? Going to get a second car

ED
Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #46
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
BOOO to these types of auctions and websites. there was no guarantee he would ever win this car from the moment he started wasting bids and dollars on the process to potentially own it.

i foolishly tried swoopo.com (the same type of process, now has been shut down) once and bought the minimum bids. it was such a joke and severely wastes your time. some auctions for even the stupidest items (a $20 gift certificate to lowe's) go on and on for days at a time. you can't sit around all the time and watch, and for an item like a camaro, you could potentially spends weeks and thousands of dollars placing bids all while hoping the guy you're competing with gets up and takes a bathroom break and doesn't get back in time to rebid.

it's a terrible process. you bid, someone else bids. just when you think that person gets tired of bidding (and they might), someone else jumps in and starts bidding. you can jump in 6 weeks after the item has been listed and never have spent a penny on a bid and start the bidding process. or you could have been the idiot that started bidding on the first day. no one knows how long the bidding will go on and no one knows how many people will see the item and decide to join in on the bidding.

$5 a camaro? freakin' ha! this is seriously the same odds as winning the lottery, only a ticket here costs a shitload more than $2. i would consider his result lucky, as with most people on those types of sites. but be warned, try it and i guarantee it will eat your soul before you win anything!
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #47
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
BOOO to these types of auctions and websites. there was no guarantee he would ever win this car from the moment he started wasting bids and dollars on the process to potentially own it.

i foolishly tried swoopo.com (the same type of process, now has been shut down) once and bought the minimum bids. it was such a joke and severely wastes your time. some auctions for even the stupidest items (a $20 gift certificate to lowe's) go on and on for days at a time. you can't sit around all the time and watch, and for an item like a camaro, you could potentially spends weeks and thousands of dollars placing bids all while hoping the guy you're competing with gets up and takes a bathroom break and doesn't get back in time to rebid.

it's a terrible process. you bid, someone else bids. just when you think that person gets tired of bidding (and they might), someone else jumps in and starts bidding. you can jump in 6 weeks after the item has been listed and never have spent a penny on a bid and start the bidding process. or you could have been the idiot that started bidding on the first day. no one knows how long the bidding will go on and no one knows how many people will see the item and decide to join in on the bidding.

$5 a camaro? freakin' ha! this is seriously the same odds as winning the lottery, only a ticket here costs a shitload more than $2. i would consider his result lucky, as with most people on those types of sites. but be warned, try it and i guarantee it will eat your soul before you win anything!
I can vouch for this. Tried one of their trial packages. Huge waste of time. How anyone wins anything on these sites I'll never know.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #48
Wilder
Synergy Green <3

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Thats amazing. He may just be the luckiest guy in the world.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4383&pictureid=93296
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #49
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
I can vouch for this. Tried one of their trial packages. Huge waste of time. How anyone wins anything on these sites I'll never know.
By being up at all hours of the night. I'm sure when he finally won it was at 4am when everyone else finally gave up or ran out of money for more bids.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #50
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
You guys are picking this auction apart, but it's very clear that the auction was very quick. I would say an hour or two at most and when They start an auction for a car it's usually a very big thing, but this site is brand new and They do not have a lot of customers, so this was their way of jumping into the market and getting a shitload of visitors.

I just visited their site and it appears this stunt got them so much traffic it took the site down, they should have been better prepared, what a waste of advertising.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #51
Paul Huizenga

Drives: 1991 Syclone, 2000 Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Paul Huizenga Send a message via Skype™ to Paul Huizenga
We covered how these sites work back when they first announced this particular one. It's basically a lottery with no transparency...

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/too-good-t...-less-than-1k/
Paul Huizenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #52
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Think of this another way. Purposely let this dude win the car. Let's say it costs 35k to make that happen. Now EVERY mental patient will believe that they too can do this. The company just spent 35k on very clever advertising. This is a fraction of what normal advertisements cost and this one will be a hell of a lot more effective. Greed is a powerful motivator.
This
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #53
jojohn33

Drives: tt
Well its cheaper then paying to advertise the site on tv and more effective also(as you can see). The thing about most of these auctions sites is that in the agreement it admits to being a scam. They can place bids their self to up the price, extend auction time when they feel like it, and cancel a auction anytime for no reason. It's worse then gambling sites and the only reason its allowed to be run while gambling sites can not from the USA right now is that the sites have not made enough money yet for the government to rob the creators of these sites. Once the money is there the government will step in and create a law like they did with internet gambling and then clean out all bank accounts and arrest and shut down all sites they can the day after. Land of the free. So if you have money into a site like this I would stay aware of current laws or risk loosing some money
jojohn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #54
HaVoKZ06
I love my GM cars!!

Drives: 2011 Vette Z06, 2011 Camaro SS2/RS
hahah I'm sure he could not afford the sales tax to even take the car..LOL they never tell you that stuff until you win something... Then you get hosed
HaVoKZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #55
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoKZ06 View Post
hahah I'm sure he could not afford the sales tax to even take the car..LOL they never tell you that stuff until you win something... Then you get hosed
I would suspect that at 6-7%, he can afford the 30-40 cents sales tax. He only paid $5 and change, he didnt 'win it'.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #56
Lawdog1911
ZL1 Dreamin

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 2SS (RIP)
This guy at work got a Ipad 2 for $5 from Scoreit.com. You have to buy some bid cards, so there is no telling how many bid cards he had to buy before he won one.
Lawdog1911 is offline   Reply With Quote