Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
Question good car maint. shop in TX

Hey everyone......I was in the thread under general discussions that was talking about servicing your camaro and everyone was talking about doing all of the repairs/maintenance themselves. I love the camaro but know nothing about making repairs/oil changes to the car myself.

Can someone just tell me of a really good car maintenance shop in north Texas? (dallas, plano, frisco, etc.) Or do you guys think I should just get everything done at the chevy dealership?

I've had my fair share of poor maint. shop experiences and I would like to avoid them with the Camaro.

Everything is better in a Camaro.......puts a smile on my face everyday.....
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjulie83 View Post
Hey everyone......I was in the thread under general discussions that was talking about servicing your camaro and everyone was talking about doing all of the repairs/maintenance themselves. I love the camaro but know nothing about making repairs/oil changes to the car myself.

Can someone just tell me of a really good car maintenance shop in north Texas? (dallas, plano, frisco, etc.) Or do you guys think I should just get everything done at the chevy dealership?

I've had my fair share of poor maint. shop experiences and I would like to avoid them with the Camaro.
I have had good luck at Van Chevrolet but I don't care too much for their sales dept. On the other hand I know a few more places where not to take your car. One of them is JP's in Carrollton.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
While under warranty you want dealer of course. After that DIY as much as possible.

I'll work on anything short of the heads and having to pull the engine or tranny out.

Everything else can be done at home if you have tools and manuals.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Heh - buy an old carbed third gen. You'll learn fast. Thats what I did anyway.
- Xanthos

P.S. - In all seriousness, oil changes are a piece of cake, and air filters/spark plugs/plug wires are even easier. Have a gearhead friend (maybe even one of the camaro5 forum members in your area?) give you the run through one day, and you'll be home free from then on. Just make sure you have a good supply of wrenches and rags and a couple of drain pans to catch the old oil in. The hardest part will be changing the filter, but once you get the hang of taking them off and getting them on, its a piece of cake too. It'll save a lot in the long run.

Oh, and wear a shirt you don't mind getting dirty, take the drain plug out slowly your first time, and DON'T put your glasses by your feet! Most expensive oil change I've ever done.

As far as warranty goes, just keep records and you should be fine. Receipts for the oil/filters/plugs/wires, and possibly even dated pictures (do disposables put a date? I usually use a digital that puts a datestamp) of the odometer and the dipstick (so they can see the dark oil vs. the clean oil). You shouldn't have a problem with it unless you have a crooked dealer, and they'll try and cheat you out of the warranty anyway.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
etrigan

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black Camaro
Great thread! I've been wondering the same thing.

Let's say the Camaro is under warranty...which dealership has a good service department. Any good luck or bad luck stories?

VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9106795

1100, Preliminary order accepted:10/13/08
6000, Del. to me:5/20/09
etrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrigan View Post
Great thread! I've been wondering the same thing.

Let's say the Camaro is under warranty...which dealership has a good service department. Any good luck or bad luck stories?

I've heard that classic in grapevine has a very good service department but I don't have any personal experiences with them....just a good friend who used to work for the carmax service dept that liked classic alot. Classic is a little far for me but I guess if I don't hear of a better shop then i'll just make the drive over to classic.

I would like to think I could learn to do some maintenance on my own but ..... realistically, I barely know how to check the oil...let alone change it.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
etrigan

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black Camaro
Good to know!

As much as I hate to say it, I haven't changed oil in a car since my 72 La Mans that I had from 79-84. In fact, I haven't even checked the oil in my Honda that I'm driving now.

VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9106795

1100, Preliminary order accepted:10/13/08
6000, Del. to me:5/20/09
etrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
go to google and google it, im 16 and i learned by watching a few videos, now i do them often(500,000 mile ford truck) and on all the cars in my house.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Quote:
go to google and google it, im 16 and i learned by watching a few videos, now i do them often(500,000 mile ford truck) and on all the cars in my house.
I don't think I want to 'learn' on the camaro...i'm afraid i'll screw something up...I suppose I could learn on my buick.....

Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Hey Julie

I will be one of the first to put wrenches on our 2010 Camaro.Please feel free to call me anytime you need something done.

I live in Mckinney Texas and own and operate a GM Performance shop in lewisville texas.

My company is ADM PERFORMANCE.

Feel free to read a little about me on my website on the home page under:

Welcome to ADM Performance

ADM PERFORMANCE - YOUR LEADER IN HIGH PERFORMANCE TUNING AND PRODUCT DESIGN

Read more...

Andy
214-228-8782 anytime
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote