Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #57
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSS View Post
Well in Texas, we are also required to have 2 plates but we also have to have a plate registration sticker the same size as the annual inspection sticker on the front windshield. The sticker shows month and year it expires and the officers use it to see if your registered.

I hate those front plates too and since they can see the sticker on the windshield I have written several letters to our elected officials to try and rid Texas of those darn things. Hope it works!!
I hate stickers in my windshield even more than front plates. Thankfully, SC has none.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #58
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Get one of those plastic mirror vanity plates and a chrome chain license plate frame! Go redneck!
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #59
rauhaus camaro
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS with LS3
I also live out here in So. California. I frequent Cars & Coffee in Irvine every Saturday morning and have spoken to several law enforcement guys who go there to see the cars displayed and others who just keep order. They told me that it is a "discretionary" enforcement issue with most cops. They all have said that it depends largely on the attitude of the driver. If you are going to be a jerk, then they will let you have it and probably cite you for no front plate. From personal experience, I had a '95 Supra years back with a Stillen front end without plates and got pulled over by an OC Sheriff once. He asked me about the missing plate and I just told him that I had custom plates on order (which I did) and he passed on giving me a ticket. I have never had plates on the front, and I have never been hassled. I guess if you are drving recklessly or speeding, or just being a smart ass then you have more exposure. It is an easy fix however.
rauhaus camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #60
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
Thanx for all the tips and suggestions!

Im leaning to a license plate that can either be removed easily or the manual plate that can be put up and down for shows.

can u suggest a website i can purchase one?

for ex. i saw this one http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1672

any thoughts?
SlyJester7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #61
WyleCoyote

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJester7 View Post
Thanx for all the tips and suggestions!

Im leaning to a license plate that can either be removed easily or the manual plate that can be put up and down for shows.

can u suggest a website i can purchase one?

for ex. i saw this one http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1672

any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach dude View Post
Nice...! where can we get these?
Two sites I know of carry these.
www.rpidesigns.com and www.swiftmotorsports.com
WyleCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #62
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post

Ok, that's one solution...I could let the car get stolen too, and after paying the deductible the replacement car wouldn't have the plate holder when I get it. Maybe I could have it torched too

How about anyone who isn't so overtly insane?
Are you saying I am insane??
I was joking...and I was just telling you what happened to my wife, she didn't do it on purpose.. i really didn't think you would take that seriously...
without replacing the bumper cover I think you are always going to see evidence of the holes that were there, If you could get that fixed correctly (plasticweld of the area and complete repaint) you are probably going to spend just as much as to get it replaced and painted.

But if you don't mind a couple pimples on your front bumper the plug Idea may suit you just as well...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-03-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #63
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I went with a no drill option from McT Custom Designs. Quality is great. Install was fairly simple. No holes anywhere and I can take it off any time I want or need to. Here's a picture:

Name:  Camaro 018 sm.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  267.6 KB
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #64
eb_SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SSRS SGM
I tried to contact McT a couple of times, does anyone know if they are still selling these brackets?

thanks,
-EB
Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #65
DrJohn

Drives: 2010 1LT
I got one from McT about 3 or 4 months ago.

Doug McTaggart
******@sympatico.com

The pics attached are crappy pics from my cell but they show you how they work. The tape on the car in one pic is so when the bracket kept slipping down while I was installing it didn't scratch the fascia or my GFX splitter.

Keep in mind that these were initially designed for the SS and I have a 1LT.

There was a minor bolt alignment issue with mine but I have been in touch with him recently and he has made Plate Mount v2.0

I used it when I went on a trip to California and it served it's purpose and came off after I got home. Drove thru the orchard area in northern CA in the spring time when the bees had been turned loose. I almost had to use wire brush to get the bees off of it. Luckily I had the clear bra to protect the car.

I don't know about other states, but in Oregon no front plate is what they call a secondary offense. eg: If they stop you for speeding they can ticket you for no front plate but they won't stop you just because of the plate (or lack of).

I bought my Camaro on 7/11/2009 and have been driving without a front plate and so far so good. It's my daily driver so it's out on the streets alot.
Attached Images

DrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #66
Roddd 1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
I live in Cali but I also have a house in Arizona and I am going to register my car for the Arizona house because Arizona doesn't require front license plates so I get lucky there!
You might want to make sure your driver's license matches the state on your license plate. That's also a violation.
Roddd 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #67
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
I think that if cars have to have 2 plates then so should motorcycles lol. They have an even smaller plate and only need one and they can be dressed from head to toe to hide thier identity and even easily hide thier vehicle.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #68
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVFAN View Post
I got a warning ticket from my "neighbor" a state trooper that lives in my small town (nice guy, hunh... real neighborly!) anyway I refuse to attach mine to the front bumper... I have mine on my dash, "attached" to the glass with two clear suction cups that I bought at Walmart. Yes, RUBY goes to Walmart! In Texas the law reads: License Plates must be "at" the front & "at" the rear of the vehicle. No other details..... so, there you have it... If I get ticketed for it, I feel certain I can beat it. It is visible from the front for a great distance & it is readable. It really doesn't inhibit my view either... I can't see over the hood anyway!
Unfortunately that's all going to change now that the TX Court of Appeals said it has to be on the front of the car.

I don't have a front plate and won't have a front plate. If I get a ticket I'll just pay it and move on.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #69
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
yep, front of the car...Wife got one yesterday!!!!!

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #70
Mcameron

Drives: 2000 LS2 Saturn
Hey drjohn I live in tualatin and so I was wondering if you drive without your front plate?
I would assume at least someone would try and pull you over for it.
Mcameron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license plate