Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #43
Mcameron

Drives: 2000 LS2 Saturn
Plus the Camaro looks way cooler!
Mcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #44
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
hehe Nice, it's guys with wisdom like this that helps me put things in focus. I love my camaro more than any other car. I am personally just irritated by all the hype that mustangs are getting in the majority of car publications. Anybody that reads car and driver knows they obviously have a hard-on for fords and various other cars, and IMO they (among other publications) seem to portray the Camaro as some slow heavy, outdated beast, when it's the best car ever to me...savvy?
Go back and look at the covers or Car and Driver, or Hot Rod, or most any other domestic car magazine, from about 18 months ago to just under a year ago... Camaros were quite often the featured car... It's always going to be what's newest or hottest...

I for one appreciate the one-up-manship, as it breeds the competition and keeps our favorite manufacturers on the cutting edge.... If Ford had not one upped the Camaro, do you think GM would have been hard pressed to one up ford.... again... It's the back and forth competition that allows us to drive 400 plus HP cars that get 20+ mpg.

I Love it and I'm a gear head... all manufacturers have their pluses and minus's... I like some of the new Mustang offerings, and absolutely Love the Challenger, but I'm a diehard GM Person...

There is no need to hate the competition.... they keep our cars getting better and better...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #45
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I would put my 58K camaro up against any 58K mustang any time any where!
I'll be your huckleberry! Of course, I don't have $58K in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
hehe Nice, it's guys with wisdom like this that helps me put things in focus. I love my camaro more than any other car. I am personally just irritated by all the hype that mustangs are getting in the majority of car publications. Anybody that reads car and driver knows they obviously have a hard-on for fords and various other cars, and IMO they (among other publications) seem to portray the Camaro as some slow heavy, outdated beast, when it's the best car ever to me...savvy?
The Camaro will always play second-fiddle to the Mustang in the eyes of the general population. Like it or not, the Mustang took America by storm when it was introduced and is now an American pop-culture icon. That's certainly not to say it's a better car than the Camaro, that's up to the individual to decide, but the Camaro will always seen, by the average person, as an answer to the Mustang. The same is true for the new generation Camaro. It is seen, by the vast majority of people, as a response by GM to the S197 retro-Mustang, and the upcoming Z28 is just a response to the now five model-year old GT500.

Last edited by garagelogic; 11-16-2010 at 04:30 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #46
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
There is still that thing that goes by the name of ZR-1, that thing is ok i guess. lol
Mike-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #47
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
In a world where even Civics can run 8's and 9's speed doesn't matter anymore, its looks. Camaro wins hand over feet in this category, who cares about add on super chargers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I'll be your huckleberry! Of course, I don't have $58K in my car.

The Camaro will always play second-fiddle to the Mustang in the eyes of the general population. Like it or not, the Mustang took America by storm when it was introduced and is now an American pop-culture icon. That's certainly not to say it's a better car than the Camaro, that's up to the individual to decide, but the Camaro will always seen, by the average person, as an answer to the Mustang. The same is true for the new generation Camaro. It is seen, by the vast majority of people, as a response by GM to the S197 retro-Mustang, and the upcoming Z28 is just a response to the now five model-year old GT500.
Helo no! Maybe for YOUR generation! The younger generations, and the guys like myself in our twenties and up will always remember the Camaro as king over the Mustang.

And not to mention Camaro is know the favorite car of the general population! The sales figures show that! People go crazy when they see them, even in base model form. No one really cares about Mustangs anymore, there everywhere and played out.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #48
KnuckleBuster
A Virginia Drifter

Drives: Pick-um-up
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

I for one appreciate the one-up-manship, as it breeds the competition and keeps our favorite manufacturers on the cutting edge.... If Ford had not one upped the Camaro, do you think GM would have been hard pressed to one up ford.... again... It's the back and forth competition that allows us to drive 400 plus HP cars that get 20+ mpg.

There is no need to hate the competition.... they keep our cars getting better and better...
You hit it right on.
KnuckleBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #49
JakeFlick

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Black w/ Wh Rallys
A Shelby GT isn't competition for the Camaro anyway, it's for the Corvette. Mustang GT stock, will NOT take an SS. Read articles from Car & Diver and videos online. All proof, and stop reading Ford biased articles, like we're posted in the begining of this thread. I drive a 2LT, and I've smoked a few 2011 GTs, and been smoked by a few as well... but when you're running all out on a V-6 and stomping a V-8 (due to someone that can't drive worth a crap) it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside!!

"ROAD RAGE" ~circa 2010

Last edited by JakeFlick; 11-16-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Because it's my post, I can edit it!
JakeFlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #50
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
No worries here...
:5thgenvert:

midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #51
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Helo no! Maybe for YOUR generation! The younger generations, and the guys like myself in our twenties and up will always remember the Camaro as king over the Mustang.

And not to mention Camaro is know the favorite car of the general population! The sales figures show that! People go crazy when they see them, even in base model form. No one really cares about Mustangs anymore, there everywhere and played out.
You're missing the point. The Camaro will never be the American icon that the Mustang is. It doesn't matter what generation you belong to or how any particular person remembers the vehicles. The generation that grew up with the original 5.0 cars will always remember the the Mustang as the king over the GM f-bodies.

Again, I'm not trying to say that the Mustang is the better car, the faster car, the better looking car, etc. All I'm saying is that the Mustang achieved a place in American automotive history that the Camaro, no matter how well done, will never achieve. I consider the Corvette in the same category.

Like any car, the "new" will wear off the new Camaro as more and more of them are on the roads. That is just a fact of human nature. Something new will come along and replace it as the "gotta have it" vehicle. It, too, will become "played out". That should not diminish your pride in the car.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #52
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
You're missing the point. The Camaro will never be the American icon that the Mustang is. It doesn't matter what generation you belong to or how any particular person remembers the vehicles. The generation that grew up with the original 5.0 cars will always remember the the Mustang as the king over the GM f-bodies.

Again, I'm not trying to say that the Mustang is the better car, the faster car, the better looking car, etc. All I'm saying is that the Mustang achieved a place in American automotive history that the Camaro, no matter how well done, will never achieve. I consider the Corvette in the same category.
Interesting points... As much as I'd like to try to justify what I'm thinking - I can't, lol. I believe CAMARO is the hotter car now, however, I believe the Mustang has more legacy, unfortunately. I believe it still holds a sales record from it's initial release, and I doubt it's ever going to be surpassed, in that way.

I came of ago when CAMARO will kicking Mustang between the taillights, but I'll never disregard the car it's become. Maybe it's an issue to someone who's not a die hard CAMARO nut, like many of us here, but for me, I don't have to think twice so long as CAMARO is still around.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #53
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:

Like any car, the "new" will wear off the new Camaro as more and more of them are on the roads. That is just a fact of human nature. Something new will come along and replace it as the "gotta have it" vehicle. It, too, will become "played out". That should not diminish your pride in the car.
Oh man you couldn't be so far from the truth to be honest. I hope you are around in about thirty to forty years when you're proven wrong. This generation of Camaro will go down in history as a classic and possibly the dawn/reemergence of the muscle car in the modern world.

These cars are truly "next" generation vehicles in terms if looks. Most if not all cars that pull up next to one simply look primitive in design. These cars will mark the start of designs that will come very close to the type of cars we see in SCi-Fi movies and etc.

Additionally, these cars hold a strong place in the hearts of all young people. Every young guy wants one, every older person likes the looks, and more importantly all the young kids who see them in the Transformers Movies love them. Its those same kids who will grow up and write the history books for this time period. Additionally they will always remember how cool they were when they were growing up and will want to buy one to remember those times. That is what will make these cars classics and collectibles many years down the road.

The Camaro will also been seen as what saved sporty American cars from imports. The Mustang has been doing a garbage job at combating imports for the past eight years because there was no Camaro around. It took GM to get Ford back on track on creating a good sports car.

Now the Mustang and Camaro are basically the fastest out of the box new cars you can buy for the money. This title used to be held by imports. Myself included and others never would have dreamed giving up our imports for an American car. The Camaro changed all of that.

The Camaro is king now, the Mustang has stepped down. Automotive history, like I said, will view this time as a revival period.

And I don't see how you say it can never be an icon of America like the Mustang has, whether you want to believe it or not, the Camaro is now the icon for American Muscle.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #54
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
im here before the lock.
it snice for a ford i guess.
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #55
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Something y'all are forgetting the Mustang is the top of there High Performace Cars, whereas the Corvette is the top performer for the Chevy's. So to buy the top of the line ford performace you have to get the Shelby Cobra or Roush Mustang (I don't think they even make the GT 40 anymore) which will smoke a standard SS Camaro, but then don't stand a chance against a Corvette ZR1.

Now Chevy is not going to make the Camaro faster than the Corvette.
Just like Dodge is not going to build a Challenger faster than the Viper.
That would be like making the V6 Camaro Faster than an SS Camaro.

It isn't going to happen.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #56
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Everyone remembers tri-five chevies. No one remembers tri-five fords but like todays mustangs, they were everywhere. These days, there's nothing from ford that's remarkable. It's all very forgettable, including the mustang. If you think that by virtue of sheer numbers the mustang is iconic then you must be in awe of the Honda.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote