Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
There IS a key lock under the passenger door handle.... you need to take a 3/4" bit, and drill though the handle's bodywork, then use a slidehammer to withdraw the lock mechanism.

(I'm kidding.... I'm still laughing my ass off at the YouTuber who posted that the iPhone 7 has a headphone jack hidden within, and who demonstrates how to access it with a drill... comedy gold... and many chumps have actually tried it, after seeing the video. I think that's the same guy who suggested a downloadable an app that would make your phone waterproof, and who showed that microwaving the thing also added features. The fact that some people (apparently) have taken his advice as fact, and tried for themselves, is proof that Darwinism is alive and well, maybe even gaining steam!)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I know the new Impala is like you're describing... there is a key cylinder in the driver handle that is covered. I had to pop it off to re-program a 3rd key.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i use my key lock at least once a week when i go to the beach.have to leave the electric fob at home,they arent waterproof.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
If you're looking to cover the key slot on the drivers door check out a Smooth Lock cover http://www.smoothlock.com/ Put it on mine after first painting it with a small tube of GM matching color paint I got from dealer.

Real good to know how to remove the cover end If I ever have to remove the Smooth Lock cover to get to the key slot I can remove the cover end first, then pry off smooth lock cover without worring about scratching the cover end
I will have to check these out when I get home. For some reason I can not see pictures of it on their site here at work. Thank you.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
coolcamaroZ28
Camaro Addict

Drives: 2010SS/1995 Z28/2005 CTSV/2007 TBSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Is this what you are talking about? The one on the right is for the passenger side and the right is for the driver's side. These are for Camaro's that have the key hole exposed on the driver's side. As mentioned there is no key lock on the passenger side of the car. I got these from Rodger's Chevrolet. Wanted to cover the "key slot" on the drivers side, however found out that the key slot was not flush and the passenger side cover would not clip on.
To answer your question on how to remove cover: Pull handle out as to open door. Locate a tab on the cover between handle end and cover place the tip of your key or flat head screw driver push tab in and pop the cover off.
I too got a passenger side end cap with the hopes it would be a direct fit, but with some careful dremeling, I was pleased with the result...

OP, when I saw your post, I thought someone may have modded your car if you bought it used and this was what you were talking about...
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #20
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
There IS a key lock under the passenger door handle.... you need to take a 3/4" bit, and drill though the handle's bodywork, then use a slidehammer to withdraw the lock mechanism.

(I'm kidding.... I'm still laughing my ass off at the YouTuber who posted that the iPhone 7 has a headphone jack hidden within, and who demonstrates how to access it with a drill... comedy gold... and many chumps have actually tried it, after seeing the video. I think that's the same guy who suggested a downloadable an app that would make your phone waterproof, and who showed that microwaving the thing also added features. The fact that some people (apparently) have taken his advice as fact, and tried for themselves, is proof that Darwinism is alive and well, maybe even gaining steam!)

Can I use a wood bit?
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #21
Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcamaroZ28 View Post
I too got a passenger side end cap with the hopes it would be a direct fit, but with some careful dremeling, I was pleased with the result...

OP, when I saw your post, I thought someone may have modded your car if you bought it used and this was what you were talking about...
Very nicely done. That is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I will be taking the covers down from the site here, as I had them up for sell. Thank you for the picture

Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #22
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:

Great Job Could you please explain what has to be dremeled based on the pics of the end caps. Thanks !
Attached Images

camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #23
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
Quote:

Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
One of the features I miss the most about my Grand Cherokee SRT what's the keyless system. I never had to remove the fob from my pocket. I simply had to touch the door handle to unlock the car and push the start button. To lock the car I just push a little button on the exterior door handle or on the rear hatch. Simply touch a button on the hatch to open. Never had to worry about scratches from keys or carrying keys in my pocket. I know my car only cost $35,000 brand new and that's a long way off from the $72,000 sticker price on the Grand Cherokee SRT. But I'm kind of surprised this Camaro doesn't have that
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #25
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I think I want to do this, too. So a passenger side "cap" will fit with help...interesting. Are these caps prepainted from the factory? and is there a part number that I missed somewhere?

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
I think I want to do this, too. So a passenger side "cap" will fit with help...interesting. Are these caps prepainted from the factory? and is there a part number that I missed somewhere?
When I ordered the ones I have I had to have Rodgers paint them for me and it was a perfact match. I am not sure how he did that with a dremel and hope he replies back. I looked at how far the key cylinder comes out and I is flush with the front of the cover. So to make room for the cylinder one would have to come very close to cutting through the cover. I hope what he said was not just "locker room" talk.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #27
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Can I use a wood bit?

Unfortunately, no... those bits made of wood (especially pine or ash) do not last long, and even the oak and maple ones are only good for about... well, they aren't good. These are ONLY for drilling through room- temperature cheese, peanut butter, or piles of Cocoa Puffs.

Next question?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #28
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
When I ordered the ones I have I had to have Rodgers paint them for me and it was a perfact match. I am not sure how he did that with a dremel and hope he replies back. I looked at how far the key cylinder comes out and I is flush with the front of the cover. So to make room for the cylinder one would have to come very close to cutting through the cover. I hope what he said was not just "locker room" talk.
I hope he replies too. Based on a pic I found of the lock removed (pic 1) and comparing it to the back of the cover (pic 2) it looks like maybe just the X portion of the back of the cover needs to be removed along with about half of the pizza slice portion on the left side of the X to create a full circle opening to get the cover to go over the lock. Appears that if anything else is trimmed it will effect how the cover attaches to the lock?
Attached Images

Last edited by camguynj; 10-15-2016 at 06:45 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote