Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Hennessy Challenger runs 11.9...

Does this make anyone wonder if the camaro from Lingenfelter will be in the...10's?...I sure hope so.

BTW, props to the guys at Hennessy Performance for getting that beefy Chally to run 11's
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
I would be very optimistic if I were you. I say this on the basis of the history of the two companies. If I were you I would look at the stats from both over the last 5-10yrs and look at the difference for year to year. You will be very impressed.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
I am not at all 'impressed' or 'proud' of the companies that take a normal car and make it a monster like alot of people.

to me, its just like the kid with the VW beetle throwing down 10's.

At the end of the day, its not real. its not a real camaro. its a project camaro. im not saying stock is the way to go, but stock for stock holds more water with me than 'who puts more money into the car'
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
I am not at all 'impressed' or 'proud' of the companies that take a normal car and make it a monster like alot of people.

At the end of the day, its not real. its not a real camaro. its a project camaro. im not saying stock is the way to go, but stock for stock holds more water with me than 'who puts more money into the car'
i agree. alot use the "my car has this or that so its better then yours" arguement. But as i have stated before anyone can spend money to make a car better then others but then that car ceases to be THAT car and becomes a modded car.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
hennessy blows...nuff said.

100k better get me into 9s.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
hennessy blows...nuff said.

100k better get me into 9s.
Agreed +10000

To the owner of that Challenger, did he mention how long it took Hennessey on the project, whether he had to pay extra fees, if it was completed within schedule, or whether the car was temporarily parted out for other projects?

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Agreed +10000

To the owner of that Challenger, did he mention how long it took Hennessey on the project, whether he had to pay extra fees, if it was completed within schedule, or whether the car was temporarily parted out for other projects?
To my knowledge, that car is being used for the Hennessy Tuner School that just opened this summer. I think it's just one of their cars. My friend went down there for a tour of the school and said they had a few Challys.

And let me say, i'm not about to spend 100k on any twin turbo setup or whatever they did, or whatever Lingenfelter will offer. I'm just gonna stick with bolt-ons till I pay her off. Then Eaton twin screw...
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454lsxss View Post
To my knowledge, that car is being used for the Hennessy Tuner School that just opened this summer. I think it's just one of their cars. My friend went down there for a tour of the school and said they had a few Challys.

And let me say, i'm not about to spend 100k on any twin turbo setup or whatever they did, or whatever Lingenfelter will offer. I'm just gonna stick with bolt-ons till I pay her off. Then Eaton twin screw...
LOL it isnt sold, it is on ebay for like 99k. It is a single turbo system with lightweight wheels.

I laugh at this guy when he answers to peoples questions on the challenger forum saying things like , "yea we have 6 1000 hp challengers under our belt"

yea which they probably stole parts from other cars to finish one.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #9
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I'd stay away from Hennessey.
Lingenfelter cars are mild enough to be daily drivers.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I'd stay away from Hennessey.
Lingenfelter cars are mild enough to be daily drivers.
the drink isnt too bad

Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
I would be very optimistic if I were you. I say this on the basis of the history of the two companies. If I were you I would look at the stats from both over the last 5-10yrs and look at the difference for year to year. You will be very impressed.
I have to say I'm not as impressed with either company. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like these guys are both tools from the articles i have read. They can both get 1000 hp but you can't do anything with it, and if you did you could do maybe one or 2 runs in it then it goes boom! Hennessy generally tries to run slicks or some "trick" that "technically" is OK, and Lingenfelter never finishes the run. His car breaks on like the second run or the 3rd. Then they both throw a fit and say "you have to let me run again on a different day after I fix my car" or "see his run doesn't count"

Sorry for the rant...I just have a hard time with these guys. I would rather see a nice modified, reliable car with a reasonable hp number.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post

Automakers do it all the time. Good off-hand example is the 427 Camaro in 69. The car was so radical it was un-streetable. They were basically a magic trick. Did that make it wrong to build them? Some of these custom car shops have very close ties to automakers.
And the kid with the 10 sec. beetle is in his 40's. (Sometimes he acts like a kid but he's fun to be around.)
Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #13
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I am aghast that anyone speaks ill of John LIngenfelter's program. The amazing things he's done to Corvettes over the years is just awesome.

Not all Lingenfelter cars are 900 rwhp deathtraps, plenty of people got just the right mods done by his garage to make their Vettes unique and a bit peppier in some way or another.

Plus the fact that the dude died RACING at a dragstrip....yeah this was the dude's passion through and through, no doubt about it.

Now I have read/heard some things since his death that make me wonder if the company has a future, but we'll just have to see.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Like I said maybe the guy was a real nice guy, and I am just getting the article bias.

Does anybody know if Callaway is still doing anything, or if he is just focused on his own car?
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote