Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Carriccp

Drives: Sold
Creaking Noise (Rear Deck?)

I have a creaking noise in the rear of my Camaro that drives me absolutely INSANE. The noise wasn't there when I purchased the car, but since has developed and I can't figure out what it is. It only happens when I go across uneven ground at low speeds. I thought it was the rear deck rattling, so I placed foam between the back glass and the rear deck...no luck. Replaced the suspension...no luck (stock struts/springs to SS struts/Pfadt springs).

I have noticed that when I sit in the back seat and move the car up and down, I can get the car to make the creak noise. If I fold down the back seat, I can not get the car to make the creak noise. That to me indicates it's in the upper portion of the back seat, or something attached to the seat.

Anyone else experience this? Hate hearing my $30K car making this noise like it's falling apart.
Carriccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I've noticed a slight creak in the rear deck area when I first start moving from a stop. I usually only hear it the first 'start' of the day though.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Bo Tie 1

Drives: 11 Camaro SS,05 Vette Z51,76 Camaro
I had a cracking, light popping sound that I could have swore was coming from the back area. Turned out it was coming from the drivers seat. I used to have the seat all the way back, just moved it up a touch and noise stopped
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriccp View Post
I have a creaking noise in the rear of my Camaro that drives me absolutely INSANE. The noise wasn't there when I purchased the car, but since has developed and I can't figure out what it is. It only happens when I go across uneven ground at low speeds. I thought it was the rear deck rattling, so I placed foam between the back glass and the rear deck...no luck. Replaced the suspension...no luck (stock struts/springs to SS struts/Pfadt springs).

I have noticed that when I sit in the back seat and move the car up and down, I can get the car to make the creak noise. If I fold down the back seat, I can not get the car to make the creak noise. That to me indicates it's in the upper portion of the back seat, or something attached to the seat.

Anyone else experience this? Hate hearing my $30K car making this noise like it's falling apart.
I have the same noise... After searching I found that its the plastic around the back seat latch that moves around. The lack is not tight enough against the back seat. I've try to add those under chair plastic caption on the plastic around the latch without results...I'm trying to add space between the touching surface or to tight them up together. If I find a part to stick it in there I will let you know...please do the same too.
Good luck.
Mike

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Carriccp

Drives: Sold
I actually figured this out yesterday after I made my post. Mikamaro is dead on. I wrapped some electrical tape around metal latch portion that the back seat latches to to tighten it up and the sound went away. Now to find something a little prettier.
Carriccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Yes, electrical tape..that should do this morning!! Yes good idea. thanks

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote