Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #113
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
I don't think I've missed the point at all... my point remains, if there is significant "improvements" to the interior of the car, using "better" materials, there is a trade off... At some point the cost of using better will have to increase the price of the car, and consequently consumers will have to pay more... The question is how much more will the "masses" be willing to pay for a better interior in a chevy? I don't know that answer, but I do know that a company can out-price a product so that people will opt not to buy it.... The ZR-1 sales factor in simply because the improvements made on that car impact how many will be sold... even if its not a high volume seller... Will the market that Chevy targeted as being willing to buy a ZR-1 which is a chevy that costs 100k? Last I checked, they are not selling as well as some had hoped..... those were the points I was attempting to convey...
Don't you think Chevy has already made significant improvements to the interior and the engines from previous generations? Is the car affordable today? Should they now stop improving the engines so that costs don't increase?

Did Ford recently make improvements to the Mustang's interior and engines? Is that car affordable today?

Cars don't have to be stagnate to remain affordable. Chevy is FINALLY realizing that interiors are very important to buyers. I think the 2010 Camaro is a nice step forward from previous generations but it went too far in the retro/gimimicky direction at the expense of options, quality or perception of quality.

I APPLAUD them for using a car like an Audi as their new measure of reference instead of say - Ford. This doesn't mean that they intend to blatantly copy Audi look, materials and price in the Camaro. Obviously there is a price point for the Camaro that they have to stay within. But it tells me that instead of trading small back and forth jabs with direct domestic competitors, they decided to look at one of the best in the best in the business to get an idea of what signifies quality in an interior.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #114
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
It sells fine just the way it is, it's going to sell better once all the options like convertible, Z28, HUD, LCD w/Nav & reverse camera, other interior improvements, etc... come out.
Fixed that for you !
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #115
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Again, missing the point. So many of you don't look outside of American cars and then wonder why people don't want American cars - you need to open your mind.

It's not "if people want a Honda, then buy a Honda". It's "people see the quality of material and fit and finish in a $17,000 Civic and then expect to see that same level in any car costing $25,000 or more, reguardless of performance and handling"

With today's technology and available materials it is not expensive to design a better interior than what is currently in the Camaro. It is not. It has been proven by other car makers all over the world.
I think you've missed the point... those who want Hondas are buying them.... Are you suggesting that the people who are buying Hondas would look at a Camaro IF the interior was on par with Honda or Audi? I don't think so... as for my mind being open, it is.... I don't share your view, it doesn't mean my mind is closed, it means, I don't share your view...

If people choose to buy imports vs american, it does not mean that American cars are lacking as much as it may mean that they prefer imports for any number of reasons... I am okay with that.....
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #116
Stormyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Don't you think Chevy has already made significant improvements to the interior and the engines from previous generations? Is the car affordable today? Should they now stop improving the engines so that costs don't increase?

Did Ford recently make improvements to the Mustang's interior and engines? Is that car affordable today?

Cars don't have to be stagnate to remain affordable. Chevy is FINALLY realizing that interiors are very important to buyers. I think the 2010 Camaro is a nice step forward from previous generations but it went too far in the retro/gimimicky direction at the expense of options, quality or perception of quality.

I APPLAUD them for using a car like an Audi as their new measure of reference instead of say - Ford. This doesn't mean that they intend to blatantly copy Audi look, materials and price in the Camaro. Obviously there is a price point for the Camaro that they have to stay within. But it tells me that instead of trading small back and forth jabs with direct domestic competitors, they decided to look at one of the best in the best in the business to get an idea of what signifies quality in an interior.
Improvements will always be made, please understand I am not disagreeing with that point... however my point is that improvements whatever they may be, engine, interior, exterior, etc will cost... If the increase is major, then those who were looking at purchasing the car will not be able to. If Chevy is aiming at selling the car to a particular market segment, but that segment cannot afford the new and improved, then the company will lose sales... that is my point....
Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #117
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
You had me till you said the 1st-4th gen's were junk.

+1
The 1st -4th gen were not junk, they were on par with others in thier prospective eras. And if they were junk then why did we go back to thier styling.

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
2KWIK4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #118
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
As long as i live i never cease to be amazed. GM announces they're improving the Camaro and people get mad. Amazing.
Nope, GM said they are changing the Camaro. Whether it will be an improvement will depend on the consumers.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #119
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Sure it outsells the Mustang and Challenger...... what I am talking about is the V6 Camaro being a true head-to-head competitor to the Accord V6 coupe and Altima V6 coupe.
I knew you wanted to turn this car into a sedan... Buick's are going to do that better.

Quote:
The problem with most of you who don't see the big picture is you are sticking with GM as an "American" ideal - get with the program. GM is in competition with everyone, all over the world, and the more people realize that your opinions will change. You cannot keep comparing the Camaro to only Ford and Chrysler offerings. It must be compared to Honda, Nissan, BMW, Hyundai, Audi - in other words, all of those companies offer something in the Camaro's price range and performance range which can pull a customer away.
Huge mistake. Trying to emulate other car manufacturers is what got them in trouble. They can't make BMW's, Audi's, Toyota's and Nissan's better than those respective companies do, and nobody would respect GM cars if they tried to.

All they have to do is make what people like. People really, really, really like the Camaro. If GM screws it up by turning it into just another bland foreign car, it won't sell.

Quote:
Time will tell. Remember - they aren't competing against just Ford and Chrysler anymore.
Since they're beating the competition (yes, all competition), I don't see what your point is.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #120
Gnarlygianni

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
I really wish we had the air conditioned seats !
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #121
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Nobody said they're making the Camaro like an Audi or a BMW in any other area than quality.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #122
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Huge mistake. Trying to emulate other car manufacturers is what got them in trouble. They can't make BMW's, Audi's, Toyota's and Nissan's better than those respective companies do, and nobody would respect GM cars if they tried to.

NO!

It's not trying to make a BMW, it's trying to get the materials, fit, and finish of a BMW..... OF COURSE I WANT AMERICAN STYLE AND PERFORMANCE! BUT NOT AMERICAN CHEAP HARD PLASTIC AND LACK OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

All these years they WERE trying to make their cars more European or Japanese, but they were focusing on the wrong things. People want their American cars to be American - that means powerful and stylish.

But what they DON'T want, and have now proven over the last 10+ years of not buying American cars, is the hard plastic, the panel gaps, and the lack of attention to detail that honestly was absent of every American car from about 1965 until the 2008 redesigned Cadillac CTS came out.

The problem is, going back to the 1970s comparable Japanese and German interiors had much better quality of materials and fit and finish than equally priced American counterparts. I do not mean the design, I mean the quality of the materials.

The "junk" I refered to in the 1st-4th gen Camaros was a reference to the quality of the plastics in the interiors. Not the look. Not the performance.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #123
Stormyone

Quote:

NO!

It's not trying to make a BMW, it's trying to get the materials, fit, and finish of a BMW..... OF COURSE I WANT AMERICAN STYLE AND PERFORMANCE! BUT NOT AMERICAN CHEAP HARD PLASTIC AND LACK OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

All these years they WERE trying to make their cars more European or Japanese, but they were focusing on the wrong things. People want their American cars to be American - that means powerful and stylish.

But what they DON'T want, and have now proven over the last 10+ years of not buying American cars, is the hard plastic, the panel gaps, and the lack of attention to detail that honestly was absent of every American car from about 1965 until the 2008 redesigned Cadillac CTS came out.

The problem is, going back to the 1970s comparable Japanese and German interiors had much better quality of materials and fit and finish than equally priced American counterparts. I do not mean the design, I mean the quality of the materials.

The "junk" I refered to in the 1st-4th gen Camaros was a reference to the quality of the plastics in the interiors. Not the look. Not the performance.
you've exaggerated to make a tenuous point.... last I checked, people were buying American cars over the last decade... they may have complained about them, but they did buy them..... likewise the attention to detail was more obvious in some cars than with others...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #124
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
I personally like the interior. Having said that, I'm waiting to see what the Z28 has to offer. (performance wise)
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #125
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:

NO!

The 2010 Camaro has a very good interior, as far as fit and finish goes. It's style is distinctive and generally well received (the only negatives I heard about were from people who obviously don't like muscle cars to begin with). In short, it's not one of the older models you have a problem with, so I really don't know why you keep bringing that up. It doesn't fit this car.

The 2010 Camaro is a very good car, outside and inside. GM has to be very careful that they don't screw it up by "improving" it into something that sucks.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #126
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
The 2010 Camaro has a very good interior, as far as fit and finish goes. It's style is distinctive and generally well received (the only negatives I heard about were from people who obviously don't like muscle cars to begin with). In short, it's not one of the older models you have a problem with, so I really don't know why you keep bringing that up. It doesn't fit this car.

The 2010 Camaro is a very good car, outside and inside. GM has to be very careful that they don't screw it up by "improving" it into something that sucks.
Seriously, is it too much to ask for modern levels of refinement in a muscle car in the year 2010?

If it is then once the purists who are buying this car strictly on their childhood dreams or living their mid-life crisis as Camaro enthusiasts dry up, the car will not appeal to the general public as much.

I would place a good bet that around 75% of 2010 Camaro owners would have bought one if it had cardboard for the interior. For sure 100% of the first 20,000 built went to die-hard enthusiasts with no reguard for modern refinement. Or else they would not have spent $3-7k over sticker for them as most did.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote