Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Arrow Can the ZL1 Suspension be adjusted?

I got my 14 ZL1 on 9/16, I have to say it is super quick. and it has an addiction to octane that is unquencable. I do not know much to anything technical about the magnetic ride system, other then it is super sensitive and you feel everything in the road including a beetle trying to cross it. The sensitivity is a nice but not always needed imo, and infact I really cannot distiguish much of a difference between tour and sport mode. So Can the suspension be tuned more without a hassle?. I would like to make tour alittle more softer like tour should be, and less like race day all the time. I truely enjoy race option, but sometimes I dont want to feel every bump in the road. anyone know?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
if you cant feel the difference between mode 5 sport and touring then you need a new butt dyno. the difference is night and day. take a small stretch of road that has a few dips and cruise it in mode 5 sport then do it in regular mode. you will feel the difference then. mode 5 sport is very distinct
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
if you cant feel the difference between mode 5 sport and touring then you need a new butt dyno. the difference is night and day. take a small stretch of road that has a few dips and cruise it in mode 5 sport then do it in regular mode. you will feel the difference then. mode 5 sport is very distinct
Two problems here, one he was asking about tour and sport modes not PTM, which, two he doesn't have with a convertible.

I have not heard of this being a possibility(retuning the mag ride), but I don't know.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I can't really tell much difference in modes, either. Then again, not expecting a Town Car ride. I believe you'll have a hard time altering one mode without affecting the other, though. I can tell you that the ride in either mode is night and day better than my SS ever thought about being.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Well I gotta say, Great Observation!!. I really should have made the fact that my car is a Convertible, so that PTM would not have been a consideration, however it did not slow you down DVKidd. I apprecate all feed back, and why GM didnt put the PTM in the Convertible is beyond words. The car can kill you with or without it just as easily, drive with a brain and live. Well hopefully someone out there knows something technical about the suspension.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
I don't notice much difference between tour and sport. PTM5 is track so there are 3 suspension settings if you have the PTM's.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Look underneath at the front springs. Your yellow spacers are probably still in there. If so remove them. Tour and Sport mode are (should be) easily discernible.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
Look underneath at the front springs. Your yellow spacers are probably still in there. If so remove them. Tour and Sport mode are (should be) easily discernible.

The suspension itself is not adjustable, but as Snackbar64 says, look at the front springs, you should be able to look at them from the wheelwell and look for yellow spring spacers that the dealer may have left installed by accident.

The spacers are needed when transporting the car to increase the front ground clearance when loading the car onto the car haulers, but are supposed to be removed before delivery. If the spacers are still installed, they will cause the front suspension to be very stiff resulting in the harsh ride you described.

The spacers can be removed once to raise the front of the car enough to take the load off the front springs. If you have a floor jack, you can remove them yourself, or take it to the dealer and have them remove the spacers.

It's not unusual for dealers to forget to remove them. They are supposed to be removed and handed to the owner or at least put in the glovebox so they are available if you ever need to have your car hauled on a trailer.

At the same time, look under the front of your car, in front of each front wheel. The dealer should have also installed little air dams at the same time they prep the car.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

The suspension itself is not adjustable, but as Snackbar64 says, look at the front springs, you should be able to look at them from the wheelwell and look for yellow spring spacers that the dealer may have left installed by accident.

The spacers are needed when transporting the car to increase the front ground clearance when loading the car onto the car haulers, but are supposed to be removed before delivery. If the spacers are still installed, they will cause the front suspension to be very stiff resulting in the harsh ride you described.

The spacers can be removed once to raise the front of the car enough to take the load off the front springs. If you have a floor jack, you can remove them yourself, or take it to the dealer and have them remove the spacers.

It's not unusual for dealers to forget to remove them. They are supposed to be removed and handed to the owner or at least put in the glovebox so they are available if you ever need to have your car hauled on a trailer.

At the same time, look under the front of your car, in front of each front wheel. The dealer should have also installed little air dams at the same time they prep the car.

Suspension is adjustable.....

Attached Images

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
affox83
System Test Engineer

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1011
Well, I think the suspension is about perfect for a car of this type for the intended usage. No softer in tour, and I could go a little stiffer in sport to be honest, but anyway...

The short answer is from what I understand of the suspension if you could reprogram the control module/s for the individual dampers then you could modify the current being supplied to control the default (at rest) damping. I doubt this is possible, i.e. proprietary tech? And, yes, I know GM doesn't manufacture these...and if I'm way off here ignore everything I just said.
affox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
there is no ptm in the vert ? what the fuc%%% So what does that mean for the vert as far as driving it,in rain etc..i have track timing etc/so now i guess i need some info
Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Change springs. I put Eibachs. The are progressive like our stock ones, but the soft side is softer than the soft side of our stock ones. Helped with absorbing small bumps. Made the ride more compliant on normal roads. Supposed to be a performance increase, but I doubt it, and since i don't race, I don't mind.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Am I the only one who notices a difference between Tour and Sport modes on normal roads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
[QUOTE=SamHouseIII;7055372]Suspension is adjustable.....

/QUOTE]

You are entirely correct. What I should have said is the compliance of the shock absorbers (stiffness) is not user adjustable.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote