Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
LBJ

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LS. M6
why not like a v8

Why don't the v6 supercharger look like a v8..? (Whipple )
Is the engine not capable of that design or is it something to do with performance .sorry if it's a dumb question.
Mods..mrt v2. Cai intake v max throttle body. 20% windo tint & RX catch can Gianna 20in rims nitto 555 & afterburner tail lights RS halo head lights & gm heat extractor 4 pack gauges & panted heritage Grille & zl1rear sproler t5 splitter custom head rest
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
The V6 supercharger is a centrifugal type (looks like a turbo), not a positive displacement like a TVS or a Whipple. So far it seems like lack of demand and fitment issues are the killer.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
I think the second part of your answer is the real reason. I was told the main reason is the design of the intake manifold would make the roots style sit higher. I was told some engine mounts could lower it about an inch or so. But you would probably need a taller cowl hood to clear it. The only system for the v6 is the RX roots and I think maybe one meme bet here ran it and nobody has heard from him after. You maybe able to give RX a call and get yourself a kit but if you want it to be problem free, you'd have to re engineer most of it from RX with more quality parts and get it installed by a reputable shop and send it to the best company you can to tune it. Then it'll be problem free but it most certainly will be a hassle doing it right and pricey but it would be cool and unique. That's why most people who have money and want forced induction done right go with the simple off the shelf IPF centri supercharger or the IPS twin turbo set up.

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
I think the second part of your answer is the real reason. I was told the main reason is the design of the intake manifold would make the roots style sit higher. I was told some engine mounts could lower it about an inch or so. But you would probably need a taller cowl hood to clear it. The only system for the v6 is the RX roots and I think maybe one meme bet here ran it and nobody has heard from him after. You maybe able to give RX a call and get yourself a kit but if you want it to be problem free, you'd have to re engineer most of it from RX with more quality parts and get it installed by a reputable shop and send it to the best company you can to tune it. Then it'll be problem free but it most certainly will be a hassle doing it right and pricey but it would be cool and unique. That's why most people who have money and want forced induction done right go with the simple off the shelf IPF centri supercharger or the IPS twin turbo set up.
Well, beyond that the RX "Roots kit" used a 1320 blower... tiny blower being spun to hell generates a lot of heat and not much power. The biggest issue was the gigantic intercooler needed to cool the air charge, hence the fitment issues. If a supercharger between a 1320 and a 1900 existed, that would probably be the ideal size for our engine. It would need all custom parts to work, obviously, but would be more ideal... on paper.

But yes. Hassle and or convenience is the issue.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
LBJ

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LS. M6
Thanks guys ..I gest we learn something new every day
Mods..mrt v2. Cai intake v max throttle body. 20% windo tint & RX catch can Gianna 20in rims nitto 555 & afterburner tail lights RS halo head lights & gm heat extractor 4 pack gauges & panted heritage Grille & zl1rear sproler t5 splitter custom head rest
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
crc91

Well a 1900 blower could work then ? It wouldn't be spun to hell however I'm not sure about the size of a 1900. If a company could get a proper sized intercooler, blower, possibly lower the engine with differnt mounts or at worst case also include a cowl hood in the proce for around 7-8k I think they would most definitely sell. The low end torque gained from a roots or twin screw would help our v6s dramatically! The ipf centri is great and sice there is no positive displacement option that's what I will be going with. To fix the torque down low issue I'll just install lower gears. Most likely a 3.73 or 3.91 ring and pinion that will solve the torque issue and also will put me in higher rpms letting the centri kick in to the sweet spot sooner.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
and there is a centri unit for the SS that looks the same, makes killer power on the SS- check into ECS kits
Old 02-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
The latest pictures of the RX top mount billet intake will accept a 1900 also. Still clearance issues with the hood though.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
crc91

It's too bad ipf or someone reputable doesn't make a positive displacement option. But anyway aside from gears to help the centri out on the top end, how else can we further te gains of the ipf centri? Would a ported intake help much? I'm sure we can step down the pully a bit for a little more horsepower.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
I think I'm the only one that has done a pulley swap on the IPF kit. Currently running 13 psi and it is a lot better, more boost at peak torque.