Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Thumbs up New OnStar iPhone app coming soon - Remote Start, Door lock/unlock all included

As featured on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

VIDEO:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors will distribute OnStar smartphone applications later this year that will allow Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac owners to do things like lock their car doors or start the engine from miles away.

The OnStar mobile application will also let users get information about their vehicles, such its fuel level, available driving range, oil level, tire pressure and other diagnostic information. It will be available on Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) iPhone as well as on some Android handsets.

"This technology empowers drivers to make decisions about their travels well before they enter the vehicle, meaning their full attention can stay where it needs to be - on the road ahead," said Chris Preuss, president of GM's OnStar subsidiary, said in an announcement.

GM gave the example of someone at the airport who is plagued by doubts about whether he remembered to lock the car. Or someone attending a baseball game on a hot day who wants to start her car so that it will be cooled by the time she's ready to leave.

Currently, even in vehicles equipped with remote start, the owner must be at least within sight of the vehicle to start the car. (Vehicles equipped with OnStar can also be unlocked remotely, but the owner has to call an OnStar operator and request it.)

Other OnStar phone features, some specifically tailored to each car brand, will be announced in the next few months as marketing for the technology begins, GM said.

The phone application will also include a button that will automatically dial an OnStar operator for anything that can't be done by the mobile app, such as requesting emergency assistance.

As it currently exists, OnStar is available on nearly all Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac cars. The service allows drivers to connect with a live OnStar operator by simply pressing a blue button inside the car. It also automatically summons help in the event of a crash, and sends regular emails with vehicle diagnostic information.

OnStar currently offers its services free for one year on most GM models, and then at subscription price of about $20 to $30 a month, depending on the level of service.

The mobile application will be included in the OnStar subscription price, which is not expected to change, an OnStar spokesman said.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/22/auto..._app/index.htm

GM PRESS RELEASE:
Quote:
OnStar Expands Mobile App Technology Availability
Soon Available for 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC vehicles

2010-07-22

Detroit – Owners of most new 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC vehicles will soon be able to control key vehicle functions from their smart phones, thanks to the power of OnStar.

Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC are leveraging OnStar technology to develop the most robust mobile applications on the market for new vehicle owners. Each of the brand-specific apps will allow owners to activate all of the functions available on a traditional vehicle key fob – remote start, horn and lights and door lock/unlock – securely from their smartphones. This means drivers will no longer have to be within a requisite distance, or even have their keys with them, to control these functions on their vehicles.

"Giving our customers control of their vehicles with smart phone application technology is a key advantage of OnStar's in-vehicle connectivity," said Chris Preuss, OnStar president. "This technology empowers drivers to make decisions about their travels well before they enter the vehicle, meaning their full attention can stay where it needs to be – on the road ahead."

For example, say someone is racing to catch a flight and realizes at the gate that he forgot to lock his vehicle. OnStar's mobile app technology allows him to log into his Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick or GMC app, enter his custom PIN and send a remote lock signal to his vehicle, giving him the peace of mind to go on with his trip knowing his vehicle is secure.

Or, for example, a family attending a baseball game on a hot summer day could remotely start their vehicle as they are leaving the ballpark, so the vehicle is cooled to a comfortable temperature by they reach it.

In addition, the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC apps will leverage OnStar's unique connection to the vehicle to provide key diagnostic information, including fuel tank level and range, remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure and lifetime average miles per gallon . The diagnostic information is current as of the last vehicle start, giving OnStar subscribers an up-to-date health report of their vehicle anytime they need it.

Important vehicle information, such as current odometer reading, vehicle VIN and OnStar account number also will be readily accessible within the apps upon secure login. And should OnStar subscribers need assistance with something that the mobile apps don't provide, they can one-touch dial to specially trained advisors, who are available to assist customers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The OnStar mobile app services will be available to millions of drivers of the vast majority of vehicles in the 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC portfolios, including the just-launched Chevrolet Cruze and Cadillac CTS Coupe, and are currently functional on the iPhone and Android systems. The Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC mobile applications will offer a variety of other features tailored specifically for each brand's customers that will be revealed in totality when the brands begin bringing their apps to market in the months ahead.

"We're working aggressively to bring the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC applications to market as soon as possible," says Joel Ewanick, vice president, GM Marketing. "Because we know that each brand's customers have different tastes, wants and needs, the apps will be very specifically tailored to offer them the services they value most, leveraging these innovative OnStar features as a compelling mutual foundation."

OnStar and Chevrolet announced the auto industry's first working smartphone application for the Chevrolet Volt at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show. The Volt mobile application is a unique app that will be available to customers in tandem with the launch of the vehicle, as previously announced.
Name:  onstar1.jpg
Views: 9907
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  onstar2.jpg
Views: 9876
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  onstar3.jpg
Views: 9809
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  onstar4.jpg
Views: 9856
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  onstar5.jpg
Views: 9901
Size:  579.7 KB

Name:  onstar6.jpg
Views: 9757
Size:  644.6 KB

Name:  onstar7.jpg
Views: 9643
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  onstar8.jpg
Views: 9599
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  onstar9.jpg
Views: 13159
Size:  95.1 KB
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
VERY... . I'd like to see it come out for WinMo too. My phone is a Windows phone so I'd really like to see that, but then once my new contract ends, I'll be grabbing up a Droid phone unless WinMo7 makes it big.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Can't decide between the Iphone 4 and switching to Verizon to get the Driod X. I really love the Droids which I think are vastly better than the iPhone but I travel alot and the Droids are not world phones. The world phone issue alone is why I will probably stay with the iPhone. This might make me a bit happier to buy a new iPhone, really I wish my current iPhone was not so banged up and still worked properly so I could hang on to it until some Android world phones came out.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
Crackberry app please....
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
I like this and would love to have. Have iPhone 4 and has alot of reception problems and dropped calls even with a cover on it. Too bad..
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
larryt1026

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Onstar probably won't allow the remote start for manuals now will they...if so SUPER LAME
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
I'd just like to be able to start my car remotely - unfortunately as it's manual I'm not sure I'll get the option.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt1026 View Post
Onstar probably won't allow the remote start for manuals now will they...if so SUPER LAME
you just beat me to it - lol
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
SWEET! Can't wait for this app to come out. I live in Phoenix and going out to my car in the afternoon is a miserable experience with it's 115 degrees out. If I can start the car from inside the building so it's cool by the time I walk out that will be incredible!

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
jrcbandit

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Why does it say "some" Android handsets? Maybe it will only work on Android 2.1 +? I just hope it isn't another retarded Verizon exclusive ;p.
jrcbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
VTXrider

Oh, hadn't thought of the "won't work for manuals" aspect that sucks. That's the biggest thing for me. I don't really care about the A/C going since I park in a garage all day, but it would be nice if I could get the engine warmed up a bit before I get to the car.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
larryt1026

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Now that I think more about it, Onstar knows EVERYTHING about your car..wouldn't they be able to tell if your car is not parked in neutral? And if it happens to be the case, they just simply won't start your car. Maybe its just wishful thinking, but it sounds plausible. I'm just tired of walking out of work for lunch, and having to get into a sweltering sauna that is my car.
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
VTXrider

You would think they could know if the car was in gear, if the parking brake was set, ect. They should be able to make some parameters when remote start would work and when it would not.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
According to the press release It seems its going to be 2011 only. Is that true you think since The OnStar system hasn't really changed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/22/o...ral-motors-ve/
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote