Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #29
FI4T0MCAT

Drives: 1969 SS Camaro
rham48, good looking car.

MrIcky, I had to travel all the way to Texas to find a dealer that was not marking up the cars. Without the 21" wheel upgrade, my car would have been close to the 36k It just sucks everyone is marking these cars up.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #30
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Markups

A friend of mine that was going to sell me a Camaro through fleet sales at a local Chevy dealer told me to wait till the end of the year to avoid the markups. As long as the dealers are selling them before they are on the lot, you will pay top dollar. Non-SS models are still going for $10,000 over invoice here. Same thing happened with Challengers when they first came out. I also recommend going straight to fleet sales after running the gauntlet of salesmen, fleet will sell you the car for invoice or a couple hundred over invoice once the frenzy dies down. If you do this, DO NOT do any negotiations with a salesperson first. Don't even talk to them, just ask for fleet sales. Watch for dealerships that have a number of Camaros that sit on the lot for a week or two. Frankly, you may want to wait till Jan.

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #31
optical
The Pilot

Drives: 1993 Chevy C1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
Fleet Sales is the way to go!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #32
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
A 'toy' is the most 'fun' for your buck. Id go get a street bike, or a light easy mod car and go from there. It might sound abstract now, but if you dont really NEED a car and this is just for fun, you'll have the most fun with something like that.

If you are deadlocked on the car id go gxp, or used Mustang GT and put a blower on it with all the money you saved.
My old toy was my GTO. I want something that is new and modern. I really don't buy anything used. I like to know how something has been used. It is tempting though, there is an 06 mustang gt here for 18000.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #33
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
If you are looking, the pontiac dealer here has 5 or 6 of them. White, gunmetal gray, black, and that cool bright blue color.
Thanks man. Yeah, I was thinking the g8 gt would be the car I may buy and make my project, but the GXP is now an option after talking to a few dealers. I want the GXP. At the end of the day it may be a pontiac, but very few G8 GXP manuals were ever made. So I think it could be a collectors item. With deployment, and being gone, the car would be used very little. So Id say if you could afford a gxp, go for it man. Possible collectors car in the future.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #34
Scrappy Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
Thanks man. Yeah, I was thinking the g8 gt would be the car I may buy and make my project, but the GXP is now an option after talking to a few dealers. I want the GXP. At the end of the day it may be a pontiac, but very few G8 GXP manuals were ever made. So I think it could be a collectors item. With deployment, and being gone, the car would be used very little. So Id say if you could afford a gxp, go for it man. Possible collectors car in the future.
Cool. No GXP's here. They will be har dto find, especially in manual. SAw 1 on ebay though. You should get the bidder paddle out!!!

The G8 GT is a solid option, thats for sure. I am going to drive a challenger on friday. (RT 6 speed track pack)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #35
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Yeah. They are very hard to find. If I can't find a GXP, then I will settle for the G8 GT. I am hoping I find a black gxp with this kinda interior...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #36
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
My old toy was my GTO. I want something that is new and modern. I really don't buy anything used. I like to know how something has been used. It is tempting though, there is an 06 mustang gt here for 18000.
In that case I still retain your toy should be something of a relatively lesser price which allows you to modify your ride.

May I suggest - Camaro SS, upcoming GT 5.0L, or something like an STi/Evo. All of these offer great bang for your buck with a ton of aftermarket.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #37
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

BTW scooby, when you are getting ready to buy your car look for it on cars.com. I am usually pro www.autotrader.com, but yeah, they suck. I tried cars.com today and found so many more g8 gt's and g8 gxps. I even found the firehawk versions that they are selling. Pretty crazy. So definitely use cars.com.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #38
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I would throw the 370Z into consideration. I think the rev timer it has sounds really cool and if I was buying a toy rather than a Daily driver I would consider the Z over the camaro.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #39
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
I would throw the 370Z into consideration. I think the rev timer it has sounds really cool and if I was buying a toy rather than a Daily driver I would consider the Z over the camaro.
The Z is a great car, only problem is that the aftermarket for the Z isnt as great as you would imagine. You cant touch the car without blowing the warranty (unless you overpay for NISMO parts), and you'll see minor gains through bolts ons. The only thing that really works for the engines are generally Turbo kits running big boost... BUT at that point you have a poor man's 911 turbo
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #40
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
The 06 GT is not a bad deal..should be in good shape. If you want a toy, buy that stang, drop F/I, turbo or S/C..the choices for the mustang are huge, and drop a Fr3 suspension kit or similar (again huge choice) on it. Headers are optional as the factory flows quite well. Get a exhaust setup and your done. All in all, you can easily get a mid 11's 1/4 mile mustang for less than 30 grand.

As far as other cars, I am not up on what their aftermarket may cost, but a older evo, Wrx, can be fun cars as well. I just know Mustangs as far as the aftermarket and modding goes. My car is in my sig. Click link and you will see the garage.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #41
Scrappy Doo

It won't be a Z, evo, M, etc. Gotta stay GM ford or dodge. The used vehicle and building it up isn't a bad deal thats for sure. The camaros are cool, but msrp is still overpriced to me. (My truck that i got in february stickered at 46 and change, tlaked em down to 33,800) I amy wait a bit till i can get 1 more reasonably priced. The end of summer is coming and then its onto hunting and sleds. The plan is to acquire the toy in january or febuary, that way can do the mods before it thaws out here.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #42
Scrappy Doo

And a big thanks to everyine on throwing in their 2cents. Appreciate it.