Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
GM certified car paint issue...opinions?

I bought my SS 3 weeks ago or so and just now noticed that the driver's side fender was repainted at some point in time with the wrong black. From what I understand there are at least two shades of black that were used on the 2010s. It took me until now to notice as I was more focused on the 5-6 dents I need PDRed.

The car is GM CERTIFIED and came with a 1 year, 12,000 mile limited bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything but mods, car was picked up with 15,000 miles and still has that amount.

Question is, do you guys think I can get this fender repainted under the bumper to bumper warranty or am I making a trip to my paint shop?

They did repaint trunks for the spoiler bolt issue way back...

Passenger side for comparison

Last edited by DarkneSS; 07-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Is it noticeably different? What body panels are you comparing?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Is it noticeably different? What body panels are you comparing?
In the sun its quite obvious, compared to the hood, driver door, and even the front bumper. Its a much darker shade of black. I'll have to take some pics.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Strange i was under the impression the warranty went from owner to owner if it was GM Certified. I'd get a car fax on your cars VIN and if the repaint wasn't listed i'd say get them to paint it correctly under warranty and if they try nixing your opinion i believe failure to list damage when you sell a vehivcle thats GM certified would cause some jobs to roll down a hill.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I bought my SS 3 weeks ago or so and just now noticed that the driver's side fender was repainted at some point in time with the wrong black. From what I understand there are at least two shades of black that were used on the 2010s. It took me until now to notice as I was more focused on the 5-6 dents I need PDRed.

The car is GM CERTIFIED and came with a 1 year, 12,000 mile limited bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything but mods, car was picked up with 15,000 miles and still has that amount.

Question is, do you guys think I can get this fender repainted under the bumper to bumper warranty or am I making a trip to my paint shop?

They did repaint trunks for the spoiler bolt issue way back...

Hello DarkneSS,

I may be able to provide some helpful information for your situation. Please private message me your VIN and current mileage. I will see if I have information on a repaint in the car's history & also see if I can verify if the paint used is different.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Mine 2010 black looks the same, I think its just the body angle in the sun making it look different. At some angles the black almost looks dark gray and others deep black. Sometimes when looking at my car the front fender appears much blacker than the door.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Strange i was under the impression the warranty went from owner to owner if it was GM Certified. I'd get a car fax on your cars VIN and if the repaint wasn't listed i'd say get them to paint it correctly under warranty and if they try nixing your opinion i believe failure to list damage when you sell a vehivcle thats GM certified would cause some jobs to roll down a hill.
Since its a 2010 it may already be through the factory 36 month B To B warranty, thus the certified 12 month 12K mile would be in effect.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Since its a 2010 it may already be through the factory 36 month B To B warranty, thus the certified 12 month 12K mile would be in effect.

Ahh i gotcha good to know.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You will find that on these cars due to the angles of body parts. But, if it was painted, it should have been disclosed at time of purchase. Do some digging.....might get it fixed warranty or not. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Well the power train is intact as thats 5 years/100,000 miles but the 3 year 36,000 is up because its been 3 years despite the car only having 15,000 miles. I definitely need to check the car fax I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello DarkneSS,

I may be able to provide some helpful information for your situation. Please private message me your VIN and current mileage. I will see if I have information on a repaint in the car's history & also see if I can verify if the paint used is different.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Going to try you guys out and take you up on this offer. Sending a private message now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whemming View Post
Mine 2010 black looks the same, I think its just the body angle in the sun making it look different. At some angles the black almost looks dark gray and others deep black. Sometimes when looking at my car the front fender appears much blacker than the door.
This SS has that same grayer black that my V6 had, they were built at roughly the same time in 2010. This panel is a deep dark black that does not match the other fender, or any other panel on the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You will find that on these cars due to the angles of body parts. But, if it was painted, it should have been disclosed at time of purchase. Do some digging.....might get it fixed warranty or not. Good luck.
I figure its worth the effort to save some cash, and considering the car has a bumper to bumper warranty I'm not asking for anything crazy here. In fact its quite reasonable.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Updated first post with pics
Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
SILVER BULLET RS

Drives: 2012 Black Synergy Camaro SS
I think your looking at it way too closely bro. A lot of times paint on plastic is gonna look different than paint on metal, that's just the nature of the paint. My silver ice metallic looks a little different on the bumpers and hood compared to the fenders, nothing that serious.
SILVER BULLET RS is offline   Reply With Quote