Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Foam Gun question

Never used a foam Gun but bought one and am going to use it this weekend .So not sure if I have this right . You foam the car , rinse it off then you wash it with mitt/2 bucket etc ?
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
I rinse the car down with a strong jet of water, foam the car, let it set for around 5 minutes, rinse the car, foam again, then wash with 2BM. I can do all of this with just 1 canister of the foam gun.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Foaming then rinsing and foaming again is overkill and wasteful to the enviroment in my opinion. I personally foam an area, then wash that area. Foam another area, wash that area, etc...until the car is completely washed. In my experience if you foam the entire car, by the time you get around to the other side the foam has mostly gone away and is not serving its purpose, which is an extra layer of lubrication.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
Foaming then rinsing and foaming again is overkill and wasteful to the enviroment in my opinion. I personally foam an area, then wash that area. Foam another area, wash that area, etc...until the car is completely washed. In my experience if you foam the entire car, by the time you get around to the other side the foam has mostly gone away and is not serving its purpose, which is an extra layer of lubrication.
I completely disagree, but that's what is great about this forum. We are free to agree to disagree. The point of a foam gun is to lift the dirt particles off of the paint and let them slide off. If you don't rinse after you foam the first time, then the dirt particles are still very much still on the paint. I foam a second time to add lubricity. I can get around my whole car before the foam disappears. So idk what to tell you there. As to the statement about being wasteful to the environment, all of the soaps that I use are phosporus free and will not in any way harm the environment or my health. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
The way that I use my foam gun is that I:

-Rinse the car down
-Apply foam with foam gun
-Let foam stand for about 5 minutes
-Proceed with 2-bucket wash
-???
-Profit!

And, if you've never used a foam gun, here's my foam gun in action :

Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
The way that I use my foam gun is that I:

-Rinse the car down
-Apply foam with foam gun
-Let foam stand for about 5 minutes
-Proceed with 2-bucket wash
-???
-Profit!

And, if you've never used a foam gun, here's my foam gun in action :

You use a ton of soap. lol. Great video though.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
camaro2ssblack

I find it very hard to believe ph neutral soaps like Adams are lifting dirt particles from the finish just by sitting there. Its nice to think so, but in reality your just adding lubrication unless you add something to the wash, such as all purpose cleaner.
As far as the environment sir, I was referring to the several extra gallons of water you are using each time you do that extra rinse...
All that being said, both methods will produce great results...and yes, that is what is great about forums.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You guys are way over thinking this, lol. I'd be shocked if you gain anything by foaming twice. Rinse it good, foam, let it dwell to loosen any remaining crud, and proceed to wash. All you're doing with foam is adding a little more lubricity.

Not even Adam's soap contains little fairies that scrub the paint while it dwells, although some people here would probably believe it if they put it on the label...hmm April Fools 2013?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
camaro2ssblack

^^^Exactly
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Whoever said that I was talking about Adam's. Optimum Car soap will cause brown foam to fall off of your car. Trust me. This stuff has some awesome cleaners in it, but is still PH neutral and environmental friendly. Same with Chemical Guys no touch and Zep no touch foam.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Whoever said that I was talking about Adam's. Optimum Car soap will cause brown foam to fall off of your car. Trust me. This stuff has some awesome cleaners in it, but is still PH neutral and environmental friendly.
I know YOU weren't talking about Adam's haha. But, just my opinion is one foam and you're good to go. Hell, you can foam it up in five minute increments all day and then wash it at 6pm if you want to, your prerogative.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I just washed my wife's new Jeep the other night and have been using a foam gun with Adams soap for years. I've come to the conclusion that foam guns are just a way to sell more soap. I would need to see some solid proof that it really makes a difference. I believe I'm going to stop using my foam gun all together. Besides,I've washed thousands of times over the years without using one with just as good results.

Just my two cents.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I just washed my wife's new Jeep the other night and have been using a foam gun with Adams soap for years. I've come to the conclusion that foam guns are just a way to sell more soap. I would need to see some solid proof that it really makes a difference. I believe I'm going to stop using my foam gun all together. Besides,I've washed thousands of times over the years without using one with just as good results.

Just my two cents.
They aren't necessary at all. It just makes washing more of an enjoyment for me and makes me look more professional for when I start to have customers.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
They aren't necessary at all. It just makes washing more of an enjoyment for me and makes me look more professional for when I start to have customers.
I guess if you do it for a living it might be okay ,but then again how many times are your customers there while your doing a detail? I have a friend that details for a living and his customers only see the end result. He doesn't want them to see how he performs his magic. You know trade secrets.

By the way, he doesn't use a foam gun. He makes fun of me for using one. I'm starting to agree with him.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote