Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #2129
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
I think John Boehner is including "Camaro switchbladegate" in his law suit.
So he'll be unsuccessfully trolling GM too?

heh...
Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #2130
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
Terrified today when I took my slightly dusty Camaro to the car wash. Might be paranoid but I swear they left 3 car lengths between my Camaro and the BMW in front of me. Other autos were only separated by one car length. Are the people at the car wash now afraid to drive my car because it still has the killer FOB? Should I tip more at the car wash because my Camaro is so dangerous to drive (Hazard pay)?
Don't let them wash your camaro! I made the mistake of taking her to a wash ONCE because my pressure washer broke and I didn't feel like fixing it on my day off... Curb rash and they denied it.

Plus, if they actually did get in an accident they might blame you for your fault key!
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #2131
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
I did 2,500 miles over the 4th of July weekend with the death key and survived.
how dare you try and steal all his thunder!!!!!

i know how you did it though, i bet you harnessed the power of grey skull.

oooooo or maybe you have the thunder cats in your trunk!!!! yup that must be it.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #2132
RipCityCoug

Drives: 2010 2SS, Black w/ Black Stripes
My two cents:

First off, if the breaking the key thing is the actual solution (I wasn't able to go through the entire thread looking for pictures so I'm not sure if there are others) then that's just stupid, lazy, and disappointing.

Here's where I think the problem lies though: the key is 90 degrees from how a typical car key goes in. On your average car key, the flat plane of the key and flat plane of the handle/grip/whatever are parallel. With a switchblade design, the key essentially has to be rotated by 90 degrees to fit. Now regardless of design, the flat plane of the key is inserted at the same angle regardless of vehicle (looking at the ones in my driveway), and this angle is essentially parallel to the ground. This means that the key on the Camaro is pointed with the wide part facing the driver. Again on your average vehicle, this would be facing up. When it is the turned 90 degrees to start the car, the flat part is down and gives a big surface to hit, while a typical key is straight up and down.

So by my understanding, it seems like they could have fixed this by just turning the ignition itself. I don't know if this is possible but it seems like it could happen.

Anyways, that just what I've realized this morning. Not sure if it's been discussed or not.
RipCityCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #2133
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityCoug View Post
My two cents:

First off, if the breaking the key thing is the actual solution (I wasn't able to go through the entire thread looking for pictures so I'm not sure if there are others) then that's just stupid, lazy, and disappointing.

Here's where I think the problem lies though: the key is 90 degrees from how a typical car key goes in. On your average car key, the flat plane of the key and flat plane of the handle/grip/whatever are parallel. With a switchblade design, the key essentially has to be rotated by 90 degrees to fit. Now regardless of design, the flat plane of the key is inserted at the same angle regardless of vehicle (looking at the ones in my driveway), and this angle is essentially parallel to the ground. This means that the key on the Camaro is pointed with the wide part facing the driver. Again on your average vehicle, this would be facing up. When it is the turned 90 degrees to start the car, the flat part is down and gives a big surface to hit, while a typical key is straight up and down.

So by my understanding, it seems like they could have fixed this by just turning the ignition itself. I don't know if this is possible but it seems like it could happen.

Anyways, that just what I've realized this morning. Not sure if it's been discussed or not.
Good point, that would be a good idea. But as usual it comes down to cost, they probably tried different solutions and found the current one the cheapest way to go.
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #2134
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
....they probably tried different solutions and found the current one the cheapest way to go.
I kind of doubt they did that. Given what the "fix" is, its more likely some engineer or designer at GM was taking a pee at a urinal and asked the guy cleaning the bathroom what his thoughts on the subject were. Then they went with his idea. Because it was simple and required no technical know how to come up with or execute.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #2135
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
Good point, that would be a good idea. But as usual it comes down to cost, they probably tried different solutions and found the current one the cheapest way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I kind of doubt they did that. Given what the "fix" is, its more likely some engineer or designer at GM was taking a pee at a urinal and asked the guy cleaning the bathroom what his thoughts on the subject were. Then they went with his idea. Because it was simple and required no technical know how to come up with or execute.
I think the other two posters are correct. They would have to redesign the steering column parts for the new position and that would mean money and down time for production. The separate key solution IS the most cost effective method.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #2136
Uncle_Diesel

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityCoug View Post

The day I got my car, I mentioned the stupidly bad angle of the key to the salesman. I've compared our "fob-o'-death" vs my dad's "safe" switchblade and the keys are identical (except his has the Buick badge instead of the Chevy).

The ONLY difference is the angle the key goes in at, when they first announced it I made the same comment, just rotate the lock cylinder 45* and no more problems but apparently, they decided to go even cheaper :(
Uncle_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #2137
davidb91

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin.N View Post
If I was getting a push button start I would take it in.
Yep!! That's what I'm saying
davidb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #2138
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Let's see if this thread gets to 3,000 before the letters start arriving.
Got my letter yesterday. But I had already been contacted by the dealership through e- mail and went and signed the waiver. If you don't sign the waiver or get the recall done you will continue to get notices and possibly phone calls about it. The best thing is just go sign the waiver and get it over with.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #2139
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I would love to sign a waiver, but the dealerships in the area are telling me they have no waivers for me to sign. I have been told that some Camaro's have the option to sign the waiver, but depending on the VIN, you may not have this option. I need to have some warranty work done (not related to the ignition) but they are saying that once they get my car, they would not release it until they have swapped the keys. No waiver option.

I called GM and they started by saying the recall was optional. Then they said that if I refused to have the recall performed, that they would not honor my warranty... Please help me make sense of this...

I have sent a PM to the Chevy Customer Svc user on this site as well. Waiting for a response there as well.
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #2140
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
I would love to sign a waiver, but the dealerships in the area are telling me they have no waivers for me to sign. I have been told that some Camaro's have the option to sign the waiver, but depending on the VIN, you may not have this option. I need to have some warranty work done (not related to the ignition) but they are saying that once they get my car, they would not release it until they have swapped the keys. No waiver option.

I called GM and they started by saying the recall was optional. Then they said that if I refused to have the recall performed, that they would not honor my warranty... Please help me make sense of this...

I have sent a PM to the Chevy Customer Svc user on this site as well. Waiting for a response there as well.
I'm interested in hearing what the follow up is on this.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #2141
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I received a letter yesterday. However, it was for my '07 HHR that I traded in 3 and half years ago, and they even acknowledged that. Still trying to understand why a letter for a car I no longer own, yet not one for the Camaro. BTW, took the Camaro in for service a couple of weeks ago and the key recall was not even mentioned.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #2142
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
I went in for warranty work on my drive train...rear end was creaking. There is a TSB for my year (2011). Dealer asked me if I wanted new key, before I could answer they said it was optional. The waiver was in the write up for the creaking noise...just initialed where they told me I was declining new key and signed for the warranty work (below). Then they went to work on the car. Picked her up 2 days later all good. Its all about finding a good dealer to work with. Hopefully your situation will be worked out for your favor...

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall