Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
2010 Stang vs Camaro (seems unbiased)

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...muscle/?wheels
Quote:
The young, muscular man had stopped to check out the 2010 Mustang GT test car, painted Sunset Gold and optioned with the panorama glass roof. It was still about three months before the 2010 would be on sale and few had been seen on streets, but much has been written about it in magazines.

I introduced myself and volunteered some observations about the 2010 model, comparing it with the new Camaro. A logical association, I thought, because both cars will go on sale at about the same time this spring. April 17 marks the Mustang's debut in 1964.

Among my bullet points:

Mustang has a solid rear axle. The Camaro has an independent, multilink rear suspension.

Mustang has a five-speed manual or a five-speed automatic transmission. The Camaro has a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic with sport mode and steering wheel paddle shifters.

The Mustang V-6 has 210 horsepower. The Camaro V-6 will have 300-plus, or about the same as or more than the Mustang GT V-8.

I didn't intend for my words to come off as “Nyah, nyah, nyah,” but they may have.

“You're an auto writer?” said the young man in loud tones. “You are the DEVIL!”

Then he caught a breath, jammed a full clip in the chamber and pulled the trigger on a barrage that went something like: “You go ahead and tach up that Camaro to 4,500 rpm and when you dump the clutch and splatter the rear end all over the blacktop, don't come crying to me.”

His words didn't stumble or stray, each one a shiny hollow-point bullet aimed at the heart.

But I winged him on the horsepower.

“That's why mine has a supercharger,” he said, and our conversation was over.

The 2010 Mustang looks like a complete redesign, but it is a significant “freshening” of exterior design and interior improvements.

By making such cost-effective changes to the 2010 Mustang, Ford also will hold the line on pricing. While the entry-level Camaro starts at about $23,000, a comparable Mustang will start at $21,845. The Mustang GT (V-8) starts at $28,845. The GT Premium test car was almost $40,000 with nearly all available options.

The Premium package, $3,000 and available for V-6 or V-8, adds such extras as Sirius satellite radio, ambient lighting (foot wells, door sills and more), satin aluminum instrument panel trim, upgraded interior trim and Shaker 500 audio system. If this Mustang is your dream car, you will want this package.

Performance

The V-6 is a fit package with 210 hp and 240 foot-pounds of torque. Four wheel disc brakes – 11.8-inch at the rear – are very capable. But ABS is optional on both models.

Horsepower for the GT is up by five, but curb weight is also up a few pounds, so it's probably a wash in feel of acceleration force.

The 315-horsepower at 5,750 rpm isn't as important as the 325 foot-pounds of torque at 4,500 rpm. Put your foot down and this pony car pulls at the reins. It wants to run.

The five-speed automatic transmission works smoothly enough, but it doesn't offer a manual-shift mode or steering wheel shift buttons. I use this shift function, but not everyone does.

Ford was still sweating the fuel-economy numbers at the end of January, but it expects the Mustang V-6 to beat the Challenger V-6, which is rated 17/25. The Camaro V-6 was hoping to be certified for 27 mpg highway.

Solid rear what?

The improved ride quality between an '09 and the 2010 Mustang is instantly noted in a test drive.

But, OK, if you are going to drag-race your Mustang, you may not want an independent rear suspension. An independent rear end costs more and weighs more, but if you drive your Mustang the way most people do, the IRS can be smoother riding. The Mustang's solid rear axle still gives an occasional clunk over bumps, but there is a minimum of head toss over speed bumps or when pulling into driveways.

The 33.4-foot turning circle of the V-6 is a proud accomplishment, and the GT is no Bigfoot at 37.7 feet. The Honda S2000 roadster is almost 26 inches shorter, but it has a turning circle of 35.4 feet.

Inside, there is noticeable refinement in good-looking dashboard plastic and other soft-touch materials. Assembly and alignment of panels and trim pieces are accurate to within fractions of millimeters, Ford says.

The dashboard design still has some influence from the 1960s. Lighted gauges are a modern adaptation, but the half arc of the 140-mph speedometer is packed with hash marks for speeds. It's a guess to find 25 mph.

Ford's Sync system for voice-activated phone and audio controls continues to get easier to use.

The ride height is comfortable for old guys and the cabin has less wind noise at speed than before. But it's still not quiet – there's plenty of good sound to be heard from the V-8 and the ring of the pipes.

Sightlines are good over the “powerdome” hood and over the shoulder, aided by little corner windows.

The panoramic glass roof, $1,995, is unique – and not available on Camaro. The tinted, reflective glass keeps the cabin cooler on hot days than a steel roof; air-conditioning energy is 20 percent more efficient. A manually operated roller blind controls the amount of light in the cabin, and a layer of sound-absorbent vinyl is sandwiched in the special glass to trim noise, vibration and harshness.

The roof is a pricey option and one that has to be seen to be appreciated – or rejected.

For everything Mustang isn't, it does the important things very well. It is comfortable, easy to live with and it gets the blood pumping. Ford has tended to this enduring piece of history and continues to make it better.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Where is the camaro side of it, if it unbiased? Is there more, because I am not seeing the comparing. All I seen was a few numbers thrown and a write up about the mustang.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I enjoyed reading that, why can't all reviews be like this

^ and to answer Silver Streak question- They actually drove and tested both mustangs and they did not have a Camaro, what would be the point of comparing- I hate bench racing

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Eh. Maybe it's a stretch to call it a comparison, but I thought it interesting that an article that is showcasing the new Mustang starts out with the comparison to the Camaro.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

All about the Heritage

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Eh. Maybe it's a stretch to call it a comparison, but I thought it interesting that an article that is showcasing the new Mustang starts out with the comparison to the Camaro.
I see your point! I just seen the Camaro in person for the 1st time today, and I can tell you this, I could never write anything unbiased comparing it with anything now lol.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
I'm going to start coming here for my Mustang updates. I thought this was a Camaro forum? Why is there a daily Mustang thread under every topic? For a supposedly "inferior" car,you guys waste alot of time fretting over it.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
I'm going to start coming here for my Mustang updates. I thought this was a Camaro forum? Why is there a daily Mustang thread under every topic? For a supposedly "inferior" car,you guys waste alot of time fretting over it.

Because they are scared of the 2010 Mustang ... Let me rephrase

... They are cautious, the Camaro fans

Quote:
Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
MerF
Go Rays!

Quote:
I get Google alerts for anything on the internet that shows up about the Camaro.

I get a mustang forum every day on at least one of the alerts.

Quote:
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Sun-tzu
Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC)
Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
TheCavalry
Here it comes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, '02 Lancer OZ
MerF just put the pwnage on lol

Ordered IBM 1SS 20" Polished Wheels

You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy? - Jason Kavanagh
TheCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
This is a Mustang fluff piece where the writer is hoping after reading how much better the Camaro is in all specs that you forget about that point by the end of the article since there is no mention of the Camaro at the end.. This is to me a Mustang apologists thread trying to convince himself and the reader why the Mustang is still a great buy..
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Know your enemy and know yourself and need not fear the result of a thousand battles.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Its good to know revfiews on other cars. Im happy to hear the Mustang has gotten a bit better, but damm, i still know my Camaro is 10 times better.
ANyways the only thing im sweating now, is the speculated 4.0 DI v6 that the chally is supposed to be getting ina year. ( I think it was a 4.0)
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
it just blows my mind that any one would buy a v8 mustang when the v6 camaro only has 11 less hp!!!! and the v8 camaro has 110hp on the gt.
jakemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote