Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Steering wheel alignment off

So I really love this car and maybe it's making me extra picky. I've noticed that the steering wheel alignment is a little off - the distance from my left shoulder is farther than my right. The wheel is not perpendicular to the centerline of the car. I thought it might just be in my head, perhaps the alignment of the gauges. An experiment was in order. I strung twine from both sides of the car, with both ends the exact same distance from the weatherstrip at the far front of the door (approx 7-1/14"). Just as I thought, the left side has a 1/2" gap where the right side is flush with the string.

Maybe it's supposed to be this way. The engineers may have been thinking of giving more room to the left arm as many may drive single-hand with it. Has anyone here noticed the same thing, and is this normal? Never noticed it with other vehicles...
Attached Images

Dynabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Maybe your string is off.

Or stop driving with your knee pushing it up.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Dynabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Maybe your string is off.

Or stop driving with your knee pushing it up.
Lol I quadruple checked tho - btw, not to hijack my own thread, but nice seats! Once the stars align, I'll be contacting you for some goodies
Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
Lol I quadruple checked tho - btw, not to hijack my own thread, but nice seats! Once the stars align, I'll be contacting you for some goodies
Thanks...No worries, take your time. You could also get a new steering wheel from us and then have your local dealership install it straight..
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
haha i was about to say maybe your arm is longer than the other lol but then i saw the pic kinda odd

do you feel any wobble when turning lock to lock
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Dynabyte

Nope, there's no wobble lock to lock. The wheel is perpendicular to the column. The column itself is shifted a little to the left it appears. Up/down & in/out telescoping work fine. There's no left/right movement either with the wheel locked or when adjusting. It's as though the other end of the steering column is hooked up in the wrong spot (too far to the right). Anyone else notice it?

Last edited by Dynabyte; 07-27-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Nothing an adjustment on the front end alignment machine won't take care of. Take it to your dealer. It's a quick fix.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
coolman

Wow! I thought I was picky. Are you a machincest or something. I once had a machincest tell me he could see with his bare eye down to .001 th of an inch.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
^^ machinist
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Dynabyte

Lol, nope, not a machinist but I am an engineer. If it was a small amount I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the right hand side of the wheel is 1/2" closer to me than the left side. I'll have the dealer check it out and see if there's an adjustment on the other end of the assembly when I bring it in.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
Lol, nope, not a machinist but I am an engineer. If it was a small amount I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the right hand side of the wheel is 1/2" closer to me than the left side. I'll have the dealer check it out and see if there's an adjustment on the other end of the assembly when I bring it in.

Not that this will make you feel any better, but, mine is the exact same way. It feels like the entire steering wheel is slanted to your left when driving. Hasn't bugged me enought to say or do anything about it, but, since I saw this I thought I would let you know I think it might be the way all camaro's are built.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Here's something that I was thinking about...

When you rotate the wheel 1/4 turn, half turn, 3/4 turn, and full turn, is it still off?
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Dynabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Here's something that I was thinking about...

When you rotate the wheel 1/4 turn, half turn, 3/4 turn, and full turn, is it still off?
Yes it is - the wheel is perpendicular to the column. The column is mis-aligned to the centerline of the car.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Dynabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Not that this will make you feel any better, but, mine is the exact same way. It feels like the entire steering wheel is slanted to your left when driving. Hasn't bugged me enought to say or do anything about it, but, since I saw this I thought I would let you know I think it might be the way all camaro's are built.
Thanks for the confirmation I had a feeling that it might be just the way it is.