Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
edgar3

Drives: 2010 2SS
The Ugly truth about G2 System Caliper paint

Let's be clear this is my experience. Your experience may very.
I read dozens of reviews and looked at several dozen pictures. I did not read anything negative about the product.
All experiences claimed to be easy with great results.
I did see one brave reviewer claim "they came out ok, could have been better, but, it'll do for now."

The kit itself is indeed simple and easy to use. The instructions are simple.
The kit comes with a high quality brake cleaner to clean your calipers. After reading the many experiences, cleaning the calipers was the most time consuming (or should be) and the most important. It's easy. Just do it over and over to make sure it's super clean and degreased.

The G2 kit comes with an 8 oz. can with only 4 ounces inside. There is also a small bottle of reactor, when mixed into the paint, makes the combination "work".
The oversized can is a thoughtful inclusion. It allows you to add the reactor fluid and stir the paint and dip your brush without causing any kind of spillage or overflowing.
The kit also comes with a popsicle stick stirrer and a one inch foam brush.
No complaints so far.

The instructions state when painting some bubbles will appear at first and is normal. It's the paint and the reactor working.
However, inside the can there were dozens of little particle globules. Looked like the stick may have stirred it from the bottom of the can. These particles would stick to the brush and the caliper. They seemed to be removed by a few brush strokes. Doesn't seem to have been a big deal. I admit the whole time I was worried that the paint was old or somehow corrupt.

I never got a clear feeling as to how much of the caliper to paint. It may sound stupid, but, the very small amount of paint will make you wonder too. Never fear. I painted all for calipers in their entirety with 3 coats. There was enough left for at least one more coat, probably two.

At this point though everything seemed to be on point. I read that it was wise to paint on light coats, which I did. However, even after the third coat, there were spots on parts of the calipers where the paint was visibly thin and the darkness of the caliper came thru.

I followed the directions to the letter.

I checked this morning to find them exactly as I left them, except to a hardened handsome gloss. Unfortunately there were runs and drips. The spots where the bare metal showed thru were still very much visible. I guess these were spots that needed the 4th and 5th coats.

I reckon if I applied my Brembo decals and put the wheels back on they would look pretty good. I could also wait the 24 hour cure time and sand the drips a bit to even them out. Maybe a careful touch up with a high gloss spray paint in the thin areas will make them a bit m ore consistent.

The quality of my paint job would be more appropriate on and older model resto project or maybe my pickup.

On my 2010 Camaro, not so much.

The $45 price of the kit and the several hours of work is still a good deal.
However, if you're particular about your mods and demand a bit more of a professional look...or frequently show your car, this option may disappoint you.

I'll be saving my money to have them powder coated asap. My shop charges $360 to remove the calipers and powdercoat. Other shops will have you remove and replace the calipers for about $300.

There's a reason that every thread on this subject will include several instances of "if you can afford it, powder coating is the way to go"

I wonder how many of you had the same or similar experience?

XSPower Longtube + Catback "Engine to Tip" polished steel
VMAX ported Throttle Body
160 degree thermostat
Street Tune East Coast Supercharging
Cold Air Inductions
TRex Phantom Black Billet Grill. Upper and lower
Custom Badging
Lloyd Floors mats
splash guards
Underhood Engine bay done
AAC LED mailslot strip lights
Flowing Cheese Fondue waterfall in console
Various food items to dip into warm cheese
edgar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
I haven't used G2 but it could have something to do the temperature in NJ being to cold

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Never used this kit, but the runs are from too much product being applied at once, imo.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I used this on my solstice (summer time) and it worked great. no runs at all.. I assume it is the temp or you laid in on to thick.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I'm sure up close you'll be able to see the imperfections but it's looks pretty darn good from the pics you posted
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Ummm, you said you applied 3 coats but you neglected to mention drying time between coats. From your results, thinning spots, running, etc. it would appear from the look of things that you did not let the paint cure/dry between applications; which would have the same effect of adding one really heavy coat. Sorry if their directions did not tell you to let each coat cure, but it's common sense. Sanding and a couple of coats, allowing for drying between, should fix the problem.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LS
Send a message via Skype™ to The Shadoww
I used Dupi-Color (pretty much the same thing) And had no issues. I also only used like 1/3 of the can and it still looks good over 6 months later. I have heard about G2 being a great product, maybe your suspicions about the paint were correct.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post
Ummm, you said you applied 3 coats but you neglected to mention drying time between coats. From your results, thinning spots, running, etc. it would appear from the look of things that you did not let the paint cure/dry between applications; which would have the same effect of adding one really heavy coat. Sorry if their directions did not tell you to let each coat cure, but it's common sense. Sanding and a couple of coats, allowing for drying between, should fix the problem.
Ding, ding, ding!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
I used the G2 system with very good results. I applied the product with a brush and found the paint to have great leveling qualities. It takes a little care and you need to be patient.

Before I started, I divided each Part A and Part B in half. This is important, because by doing so, you can apply two coats and allow it to cure between coats.

Alfie
Attached Images

Last edited by alfie43; 01-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
dammit i just bought this kit off ebay(blue that is) and then i see this review. so whats the time to doing another coat?
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Did not have to many issues with mine. Prep in cleaning Calipers is key. Temp will factor in also. It was 75+ outside when I did mine. I paid a bit extra to color match my abm.
I agree powder coat is better option if you can wait for turnaround time.
CRUZN-SS VIA tapatalk
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I have half that in mine but more time. I didn't use G2, it's actually painted.

VERY time consuming and removal/prep is key.

Clean clean clean
Light sand
Wash
Dry overnight
3 coats of high heat red with 20 minutes between costs per instruction.
Install decals
2 costs high heat clear with 20 minutes between coats per instructions
7 days cure time off the car per the instructions

15,000 miles and still flawless.

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
I have no interest in supporting G2 other than stating my positive experience with their product. With that said, it may be of interest to some to note that they can now custom mix to match any color you specify.

http://www.g2usa.com/g2-volume-1-issue-1.html

Alfie
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Lightbulb

Ive used it twice and no issues at all. Love it!