Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
1000rwhp fuel systems?

well im wondering what are the high horsepower STREET guys using on their cars, im asking because I have an Aeromotive Eliminator with the pump speed controller which sounds like morse code when it changes the pumps duty cycle but on to my disappointment my car actually vaporlocks for lack of a better word after say a 30minute drive. Fuel pressure starts dropping, pump gets louder fuel trims go positive until they get as high as 20%+ correction or 25%+ cant remember then the motor takes a dump.

I have the pump speed as low as possible at low rpms but this didn't cure my problem. Aeromotive recommended I run a fuel cooler on the return line and use a larger return a -8 instead of the current -6.

So im wondering what are you guys using and did anyone ever face a vapor lock issue driving on the street?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Squash Return System... Put it in and forget about it.

No vapor lock issues, no pressure drop issues, no need for a speed controller.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I got the triple pumper system from Lonnie's performance but now that Squash is out I would go with them. Andy is very knowledgeable and has a great product and customer service. I have been using his stuff on other builds.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
+1 for Squash Dual fuel pumps system for the Camaro. I just installed mine with the car on jack stands. Nice kit options. You can hear it running but its really quiet compared to what I have ran in my drag car.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Squash. Andy's setup has been proven over 1k rwhp.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
I run Aeromotive Eliminator in tank pump without speed controller.
After fixing stock tank vent issue with that pump, it can support around 1050RWHP with pump gas in my application, put is right on the edge and looses couple of pounds of fuel pressure at high rpm's.

1100RWHP level pump is clearly out of juice. Also need to keep the tank at least 1/2 full all the time.

Has anybody maxed out the squash system yet? I'm thinking of making sump tank with Weldon pump and have aeromotive to pump in It. I hate to put fuel cell in my trunk, i'd like to keep it stock looking. When I upgrade my fuel system, it needs to support 1800-2000 off the crank.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
Squash

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost6924 View Post
After fixing stock tank vent issue with that pump, it can support around 1050RWHP with pump gas in my application, put is right on the edge and looses couple of pounds of fuel pressure at high rpm's.

1100RWHP level pump is clearly out of juice. Also need to keep the tank at least 1/2 full all the time.

Has anybody maxed out the squash system yet? I'm thinking of making sump tank with Weldon pump and have aeromotive to pump in It. I hate to put fuel cell in my trunk, i'd like to keep it stock looking. When I upgrade my fuel system, it needs to support 1800-2000 off the crank.
I have this set up without a tank in the trunk.... We cut out the wheel well and plated over it. We use the space in the trunk for the parachute frame, and built a frame in the space left over for a sump. I run the Lingenfelters into the sump and then the Weldon pulls from the sump.... I've yet to run into any fuel issues... We moved the battery up into the trunk and forward.... It works well and leaves tons of room for the dual 15 lb nitrous bottles...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:

If you use the Squash 450lph pumps (e85 version) with gasoline, I think they will support ~1500rwhp. tmayer made almost 1400rwhp with the e85 pumps on e85 (at least I think he was running e85) with his 1LE.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
ayousef

Quote:

this doesn't sound right are you running a return? or do you have the regulator BEFORE the rails? Also im expecting the regulator is boost referenced and if so what is your base fuel pressure?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Squash Return System... Put it in and forget about it.

No vapor lock issues, no pressure drop issues, no need for a speed controller.
im wondering why wouldn't it vaporlock, the reason im asking is because im running the aeromotive at a very low duty cycle at low rpms and even a cruise on the highway without using the pump at high DC will still cause the fuel system to vaporlock, im hoping a fuel cooler solves the issue since im trying not to change my entire setup.

I was always against dual pump setups which is why I went with a big single.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
ayousef

guys how good is the Weldon big pump compared to the eliminator? noise levels, reliability and such?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
guys how good is the Weldon big pump compared to the eliminator? noise levels, reliability and such?
Noise is slightly better, not much, but it works for me... My aero motive big boy only lasted six or seven hours of total run time, with the FPC. No problems with the Weldon.. Note...me hop carefully for the one rated for continuous use... With the design we use, of the sump dumping back to tank, I've had no overheating issues... Drove it seven hours one way and back...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
Jordan I
Mil-spec wiring/elec!

Drives: LSx swapped FD RX7, '02 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to Jordan I
There are a few people running around with multiple Walbro's 400+lph in-tanks now (I think you can fit three in the stock Camaro hat, which is a retarded amount of fuel) and they're not a bad way to go.

If you wanted to stay single, Fuelab's got a new setup (190gph, 1800hp crank) that I'm running in our 415ci YSi LSA (e85). The pumps have a speed controller built in, and the regulator has a pressure transducer built into the return side - start bypassing a ton of fuel, slows the pump down (without sounding like Morse code haha), and when you stomp it the return side closes and steps up the pump duty. Very simple, very smooth, and idiot-proof - if there's a problem, it defaults to full speed. I'm running a Bosch 044 to feed a surge tank, but Fuelab has all the mounts and a 'sock'-type filter to run it in-tank if you want for a truly 'stock'-like install.

Food for thought. The Weldon's will be noisier than the Eliminator (especially if your Eliminator is in-tank right now), but are very reliable.
Jordan I is offline   Reply With Quote