Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Drives: 2012 Twin Turbo Super Sport
Exclamation 102mm tpis TB worth it with twin turbos?

A quick question (maybe a dumb question) but upon research, typically I see these expensive throttle bodies with PD Superchargers vs Twin Turbo's. Im wondering does it even make sense purchasing? I was going to buy the FAST LSXr Intake Manifold and add a TPIS 102mm TB. I just dont want to waste any money if its not really need with a twin turbo set up.
I know FAST LSXr's intake could be considered a waste based off the gains but im mainly purchasing for looks since I found a good deal.

Thanks

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
fab410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
This imo is a yes/no question
it will pick up power but you might lose some driveability as the bigger tb's can be a pita to get right. You have twin turbo's helping you shove air in so why risk a loss in driveability for some hp that you probably won't feel.
on a pd blower car they pick up a good amount because they need to take in as much air as possible to make the power.
If your car was mine I would leave the stock tb/manifold on it you can port it if you want but i wouldn't do a fast setup.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Thanks man, thats what I figured but I wanted to assure myself

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
Old 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I agree with Joe above....

I still run the stock throttle body and intake manifold and make well, WELL in excess of 1000 RWHP... There are much better areas to spend your money and efforts....

Porting the factory manifold may net you some minor gains, but to me the only reason to change from the factory intake is if you are looking for substantially higher RPM power.... In that case, a large plenum, short runner sheet metal or billet intake is the way to go.... And by higher RPM,s I'm talking shift points well over 7000 rpm... 7500~~~+

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Agreed upgrading intake manifold and throttle body on a TT car is money best spent elsewhere. Since you already have the lsxr manifold make sure that the bolts are torqued evenly on it.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Drivetrain, clutch, tires, meth, suspension, boost controller, etc. So many other things to spend money on. Like others have said, stock intake/tb has made 1600+rwhp so once you get to that level you can start thinking about how to get more power from a better intake/tb.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Thanks fellas, i kinda figured but just needed some clarity! Appreciate it

Old 11-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
I ran NW102mm on my set up. I can't tell what the difference is between stock and this one, because I went with 102mm with my new engine.
Took a while to tune the drivability, but drives nice now.
My set up is north of 1000RWHP.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I've tuned 3 NW102s, and they all drove better than stock once done. Better throttle response, and better idle with big cams. Yes they take some adjustment but once done it was better than stock. The original ones that used c5 electronics were a bitch but the newer ones have no issues in my experience.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I've tuned 3 NW102s, and they all drove better than stock once done. Better throttle response, and better idle with big cams. Yes they take some adjustment but once done it was better than stock. The original ones that used c5 electronics were a bitch but the newer ones have no issues in my experience.
Cool!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
I say just go for it and give us feedback.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab410 View Post
A quick question (maybe a dumb question) but upon research, typically I see these expensive throttle bodies with PD Superchargers vs Twin Turbo's. Im wondering does it even make sense purchasing? I was going to buy the FAST LSXr Intake Manifold and add a TPIS 102mm TB. I just dont want to waste any money if its not really need with a twin turbo set up.
I know FAST LSXr's intake could be considered a waste based off the gains but im mainly purchasing for looks since I found a good deal.

Thanks
PD blowers you are sucking through the TB with only atmospheric pressure helping, so bigger usually can offer more power

With a blow through...save your money for something that will actually help power, and not have a negative effect on low end driveability

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=619667
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote