Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
Mmmm, two different ways to respond: 1. Yes, you can put the same size tires and same size rims on the 2LT/RS, changing rims in the process. 2. Yes, you can physically put the same size tire on the existing rims, but incur tire wear and potential tire damage if you stretch a smaller tire to fit on the larger rim.

Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Only you can answer. I wouldn't on my 2012 2LT/RS.
Thanks for the info. I was more curious than anything but it's good info to know.

Not sure if the previous year models had the Pirelli tires that the 2014's have but if they do, what's the typical tread life on them? Internet search didn't yield anything conclusive, even on the Pirelli website. I don't do any racing or hard driving. About 50/50 highway to city miles. I heard replacing these tires can get expensive so I sort of want to budget for it.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #16
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was more curious than anything but it's good info to know.

Not sure if the previous year models had the Pirelli tires that the 2014's have but if they do, what's the typical tread life on them? Internet search didn't yield anything conclusive, even on the Pirelli website. I don't do any racing or hard driving. About 50/50 highway to city miles. I heard replacing these tires can get expensive so I sort of want to budget for it.
I would think you'd be able to get 40K out of them. Regular tire rotation will help extend tread life. I rotate mine when I change my oil... about every 5K miles.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I agree with Palmer. I've got 25K on mine now, and anticipate approx another 10K before replacement. Unfortunately, I listened to my dealer when they told me side-to-side rotation was of no value; my first rotation was at 18K. I probably lost several thousand miles by following dealer's advice.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneflyenyceguy View Post
Yes 19's I believe
I also own a 2012 1ls, I am curious how you got 19's when stock is 18's?
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
It's very simple... They have pictures in your Owner's Manual under the "Tire Rotation" section.

If you have directional tires, there will be an arrow on the sidewall of the tire, indicating the direction of tire rotation. DO NOT ROTATE DIRECTIONAL TIRES!

If you have Unidirectional tires (like with most RS trim packages or the SSs have), they will say "Outside" on the sidewall of the tire. You should rotate them SIDE TO SIDE ONLY because the front and rear tires are different widths. Fronts stay on front. Rears stay on rear.

If you have tires that are (all four) identical sizes (like the standard LS tires), rotate them in the typical cross pattern. Rear to front on same side, front to rear to the opposite side.
Whelp you win it..I did not look far enough in the book it was right there.
Attached Images

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #20
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13umble13ee View Post
I also own a 2012 1ls, I am curious how you got 19's when stock is 18's?
I thought it was 19 my bad

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneflyenyceguy View Post
Whelp you win it..I did not look far enough in the book it was right there.
Ha! There's a really complete index in the very back of the manual...
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #22
AllBlackSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Will the side by side rotation help or will it be completely useless?
AllBlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #23
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmike View Post
Will the side by side rotation help or will it be completely useless?
Some people say it helps, some say it doesn't. You may get a little bit of extra life out of the tires if you notice that the inside of one tire has more tread than the outside, but it's not going to be a whole lot.
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduring View Post
Some people say it helps, some say it doesn't. You may get a little bit of extra life out of the tires if you notice that the inside of one tire has more tread than the outside, but it's not going to be a whole lot.
I'd recommend side to side if you do alot of Nascar GPS'in... left... left... left.... left...left

But ya - if you have proper alignment and balance its not super critcal to do side to side - but the car does wieght a couple hundred more pounds on the driver side, so... (less for the women.. hopefully!)

Sticklers do it, lazy folks wont. The only reason I do side to side with summer stocks is because im swapping out for winters every 6 months anyways - doesn't take any extra time if the rims are already coming off.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote