Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Help!....I'm changing my oil on my 2012 V6

Hey folks I am a do it yourselfer, and I went out and bought my mobile 500 oil and fram filter, I noticed that the filter is like I have not seen since I used to have this old fifties car where you pull a cannister off and remove the oil filter from the inside, but this one is a smaller version of it. Is this the right filter? I havent even popped the hood yet to get to work on it because the wifey just used it and I want it to cool off and besides that the Talladega race is on, I hope someone answers this post before I get to work on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
It sounds like you have the correct filter. The housing is on the right side of the motor as you're looking from the front. Just make sure to get the gasket from the old filter out; sometimes it can get stuck when removing the old filter.
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
And as a fellow diy'er I would recommend not using FRAM. Go to autozone or advanced auto parts, or orielly's and get a Purolator Pureone filter.

Too many bad stories about FRAM.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I would not use mobile 500 oil....use only a good full synthetic to avoid timing chain wear issues...
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Ditto on Fram. IMHO, poor design/material choice on the anti-drain-back valves. Besides PureOne, look at NAPA Gold filters.

Mobil 1 synthetic for me. I have (and have had) many high mileage vehicles, have never suffered an oil-related failure and the engines are clean when taken apart. I'm sold.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Napa filters are made by Wix.....no better out there. We will NOT use Fram on our race motors.....have had them collapse under high volumne.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Well folks thanks for all the great information, however I got right on to changing my oil before I got all this advice, I will run it for a few thousand miles and then change up to the synthetic oil you all are recommending, and I also will use a different oil filter as well, even though I have never had an issue with fram oil filters.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Did that void your warranty because the Dealer is not keeping record of the oil change??? If is like that, I can work on mine...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

I dont know if it voids warranty if you are doing preventive maintenance on your own, in fact I have never heard of it voiding warranty. I imagine if you screw up and break something or if something breaks directly related to the work you just did then it voids warranty. It says in the owners manual that you can do it yourself and it recommends certain materials to use so I guess you can do it.
This is definitely not the first car I have ever owned under warranty and I have always changed my own oil, and without screwing up my car.....ever.
I just cannot bring myself to pay the outrageous amount of money these dealers charge for something as simple as changing my oil that I can get for a good price at walmart. Changing oil in this car is the easiest I have EVER done in any car.
Think about it- you are going to unscrew a bolt, drain oil, replace bolt, unscrew top of filter housing, pull old filter out, put some oil on the rubber parts of the filter with your finger, drop filter in housing, replace O-ring, screw filter housing cap back on and tighten, fill with correct amount of oil, and Whalla! you are done!,
With enough bananas you could teach a chimp to do it.........IT'S THAT EASY!!!! Why should you pay some high priced mechanic to do it in a dealership and wait for several hours to get you car back, only to find they either forgot the bolt or use the right oil?
Ya they probably have insurance if such a thing might happen, but why mess with it, just do it yourself
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Did that void your warranty because the Dealer is not keeping record of the oil change??? If is like that, I can work on mine...
NO! Doing your own maintenance does NOT void your warranty. That being said, document your service work in the spaces provided in the owner's manual and keep the receipts.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
45anni-gen5
Chevy 4 Life

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Ditto on Fram. IMHO, poor design/material choice on the anti-drain-back valves. Besides PureOne, look at NAPA Gold filters.

Mobil 1 synthetic for me. I have (and have had) many high mileage vehicles, have never suffered an oil-related failure and the engines are clean when taken apart. I'm sold.

John B.

Hate to pop that DIY'er cherry but there is no valves in the filter for the LFX engine...its not a canister filter but an insert for a permanant filter housing. Fram are garbage i always use mobil 1, Bosch or KN filters on my vehicles and you cant go wrong with a good old jug of Quakerstate or mobil 1 synthetic...we can agree on that
Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
SHERIFFJP

Drives: 2012 2LS
I'm also doing my first oil change and I going to go with full synthetic but my dad wants me to put in 20w50 not what the manual says. I dont know if that will mess up the engine
SHERIFFJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
JJPlace1

Drives: 2010 2LT Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFJP View Post
I'm also doing my first oil change and I going to go with full synthetic but my dad wants me to put in 20w50 not what the manual says. I dont know if that will mess up the engine
No , use what GM says to use 5W30 . I once did that with a vehicle before that called for 10W30 but used 20W50 instead and ended up with early oil pump failure( maybe because of the thicker oil used ? ) . Also the newer engines have tighter tolerances and require the lighter weight oils .
JJPlace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFJP View Post
Your dad must be a truck driver... I am too. I've gone with 0w-30 Mobil 1 in my RS. I think it's supposed to save fuel.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote