Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
Much better, it definitely exposes the slop in the factory 2 piece. TQ curve definitely moved left in the SOTP dyno
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Camaro View Post
Much better, it definitely exposes the slop in the factory 2 piece. TQ curve definitely moved left in the SOTP dyno
I gotta throw this out there. I have the Carbon Fiber V6 driveshaft and had it installed about two months ago. Through research and personal experience with the one piece DS's there are virbration harmonics to deal with. A one piece definitely transmits more vibration through it. So if you are expecting to get more theoretical TQ/HP back to the rear wheels with no additional noise/vibration you are incorrect. I will say it is not a lot of noise, but it is noticable. Search drive shaft harmonics on google. There is a lot of great info out there and some of the info is not stipulated on vendor websites like "you may experience more noise/vibration with a one piece driveshaft".

Secondly the carbon fiber shaft is not lighter than the stock. The shaft itself maybe but with all the other stuff attached, the carbon fiber actually weighs 2.45 Lbs heavier. I meaured it with a digital scale and that is what the scale measured. So as far a rotational mass you are actually adding some. Stock V6 DS 20.50 Lbs... CF driveshaft 22.95 LBS.

Just trying to get accurate info out to the general public. I have spent "x" amount of dollars to find the source of the vibrations and don't want to see anyone else chase those same issues or believe lower rotational mass exists. Maybe the aluminium DS is what it claims but the CF is not.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 07-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

elsololobo- That's weird that you are getting more vibes with the 1 piece, yes they do take more to balance because of the harmonics which is why GM uses a 2 piece from the factory to save money and time on balancing. However in my 1994, 1999, and now my 2011 Camaro all actually benefited from changing to the 1 piece. I am not sure who did your install but are you sure they lined the shaft up with the trans adapter correctly? Also might want to have the torques checked on the hardware. A properly balanced 1 piece driveshaft should be smooth.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
elsololobo02

"elsololobo- That's weird that you are getting more vibes with the 1 piece, yes they do take more to balance because of the harmonics which is why GM uses a 2 piece from the factory to save money and time on balancing. However in my 1994, 1999, and now my 2011 Camaro all actually benefited from changing to the 1 piece. I am not sure who did your install but are you sure they lined the shaft up with the trans adapter correctly? Also might want to have the torques checked on the hardware. A properly balanced 1 piece driveshaft should be smooth".

Yes I am assuming that the install shop did in fact install it correctly. There are no instrcutions included with what the torque settings are supposed to be and or showing proper alignemt with the trans adapter. Assuming stock settings will work???
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #33
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Camaro View Post
elsololobo- That's weird that you are getting more vibes with the 1 piece, yes they do take more to balance because of the harmonics which is why GM uses a 2 piece from the factory to save money and time on balancing. However in my 1994, 1999, and now my 2011 Camaro all actually benefited from changing to the 1 piece. I am not sure who did your install but are you sure they lined the shaft up with the trans adapter correctly? Also might want to have the torques checked on the hardware. A properly balanced 1 piece driveshaft should be smooth.

yes it should, i have sent a PM

p.s. torque specs are on a sticker right on the Driveshaft
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

elsolobo- there should have been a line marked on the driveshaft and on the adapter where they line up. also as DSS said there is a sticker on the shaft stating torque to 57 ft/lb.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #35
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Any updates on this? How is the driveshaft doing and how does it feel?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #36
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Still holding strong and smooth, absolutely not one complaint from my corner!
VEESIKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #37
elsololobo02

Well not so good from my end. I had the LPE 3.70 gears, Pfadt Diff bushings, LPW diff cover and milled billet end caps installed this past Tuesday.

The shop I had install the aformentioned parts made sure all the bolts to my Carbon Fiber DS were torqed to spec according to the sticker on the DS.

DSS had also suggested to rotate the flange 180 degrees to cancel out the harmonics. The install shop did that too and I still have some very loud vibrations/harmonics. I'll be taking some pics to send to DSS to see if they can see what is wrong. It really sounds like it it rubbing against the gas tank somehwere.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #38
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Could you please update with what they tell you?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #39
elsololobo02

Will do.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #40
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
I know we have PM'd a few times on this and i will help you out as i always do.Ill even send a new shaft out for an exchange. I'm still unsure about this as your last PM stated

As the RPM increases so does the MPH. The only time I don't get any vibration is when I engage the clutch at any MPH/RPM. Once the clutch is engaged the vibrations are gone.

I should correct myself from my last statement... the vibrations are at their worst from 4000-5200 RPM no matter what the speed.

The driveshaft is connected to the diff so its metered by MPH, RPM will not affect the shaft as its RPM doesn't change with the motor only the speed of the car.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #41
elsololobo02

Ok, so I put my car up on ramps and took a look underneath. So from a visual inspection is that the blue flange is rubbing against the gas tank heat shield. I am getting some work done next week and will have my speed shop remove the heat shield to confirm this is where the vibrations are comming from. There are rub marks along the radius of the blue flange and they match up with the marks along the radius of the heat shield, micro shavings are also present that match up with the rub marks.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #42
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
If it rubbed, it would rub on the diagonal points, not the flat spot on the flange since that isnt the outward most point. Use some common sense here. 99.9% that's just axle grease (they ARE greased) and road gravel sticking to the heat shield. I just had mine out today, and it looked exactly like your picture. No rubs at all
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive shaft, dss