Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Leather Scented Cleaner/Conditioner? Matte Stripe Care? Hand Wax?

I'm looking for a few cosmetic products.

First, a leather cleaner and/or conditioner that really smells like leather. I know they exist, but from your experience which actually smell like leather? Also products that will be safe for the orange leather in my camaro. I'm tired of applying fruity smelling products to my interior lol.

Second, what products are you guys using on your Matte Black stripes to protect them, and possibly help conceal small scratches, while still keeping the Matte look. I know Adams used to make a product called "Clear" or something like that, it was pretty highly recommended but I don't think they make that anymore.

Last, a good hand wax for the IOM. I want something that leaves no or minor residue, and really makes the orange pop if possible. I prefer to wax by hand.

Ready, set, go!! for your suggestions.

Thank you.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
First, a leather cleaner and/or conditioner that really smells like leather. I know they exist, but from your experience which actually smell like leather?
Both ours Leather & Interior Cleaner and Leather Conditioner are 'leather scented' but by design the scent does not last. Its more to be subtle after the clean and then fade. As far as how accurately the conditioner smells like real leather... I think its close, but I'll let others chime in to give you their opinions.

Quote:
Also products that will be safe for the orange leather in my camaro. I'm tired of applying fruity smelling products to my interior lol.
In all honesty the color doesn't matter... a quality product designed for 'modern' leathers is going to work on any color just fine. Todd from Autopia has an excellent graphic that shows the differences between leathers that I'm sure he'll jump in here with, but in the end the thing to understand is that though your seats are leather, they're coated. So the leather actually sits under a synthetic coating that keeps the finish consistent and durable (real raw leather does not wear well) so you don't necessarily need a leather specific product.

Many of them on the market contain oils and lanolin and tout the ability to 'feed' and 'nourish' the hides... fact of the matter is they won't actually ever come into contact with the leather, just the coating on top. Thats why our leather products don't contain lanolin (animal fat) and feature more protective and conditioning agents designed to work on the type of surfaces you have inside your car.

Quote:
Second, what products are you guys using on your Matte Black stripes to protect them, and possibly help conceal small scratches, while still keeping the Matte look.
Check this out: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151434

Quote:
I know Adams used to make a product called "Clear" or something like that, it was pretty highly recommended but I don't think they make that anymore.
Clear Polish and Clear Spray were actually more designed for protective films than they were for the matte stripes. You are right though, they were discontinued, mostly due to lack of interest. The Super VRT, as demo'd in the video - works GREAT.

Quote:
Last, a good hand wax for the IOM. I want something that leaves no or minor residue, and really makes the orange pop if possible. I prefer to wax by hand.
Really a hard question to answer, bc in all honesty the shine and "pop" come more from your prep stages than they do the LSP's (last step products). A wax only serves to enhance what is already there, spreading great wax over a poorly prepped surface will only lead to disappointment.

You'll want to first make sure you're claying to decontaminate, polishing to address imperfections in the clear coat and getting the paint shined up to your liking. Once you're there, then a good wax will work to further enhance that.

Whats your current detail process like? Are you using any wax currently? What about claying and paint correction?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy.

I'm down with trying your leather products even if the scent doesn't stick, it doesn't stick with other leather products anyways, so that is fine.

I might look into car air freshers that are leather scented if I want the smell to stick around, almost everyone loves to get in a car with leather that smells like leather.

I can't comment on the video yet, its taking forever to download right now. But I'll be sure to watch it.

Also, right now I'm just washing with Turtlewax ICE, sometimes detail spray with Ice or similar. But I haven't clayed, waxed, or anything, I guess I need to look into all this. I had no idea that you weren't supposed to just wax and go, there is a lot more to it than that.

I'm looking to to a complete detail in a few weeks, and I really appreciate your help and suggestions.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote