Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #113
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROndrey View Post
I just got the following response from their Twitter account

@TheReal_OnStar - "@TROndrey Hi Timothy, our 2011 vehicles are equipped with the OnStar Gen 9 hardware which is needed for mobile app functionality."

I replied and pointed them to this thread.
As an IT person myself, this doesn't make much sence. I can not see how 'hardware' would make a difference since they can already do all this with the current 'hardware' in the vehicle. From a PC prospect this is and appears to mainly be a software / firmware upgrade... but yet they deny and say needs new hardware...? I'm curious as to what 'hardware' changes and why.

In the PC world it would be like changing a mobo for newer chipset drivers when all you needed to do was install the newest chipset drivers. lol...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #114
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Don't hold your breath. I hear 2010 models have a slightly different version of OnStar that isn't compatible with the new OnStar App. Unless you want to change out your whole OnStar hardware system....
Or at least that's what us Cadillac owners were told...
You were fed a line of crap. Yes, the hardware is slightly different, but any function that OnStar can do when you press the blue button or phone in to their toll free number is a function that can and SHOULD be available to a smartphone. It would also be TRIVIAL to have access to those functions via the OnStar Website you log into with your account.

They simply chose not to offer these features for people with existing vehicles of prior model years. It can be argued that they do this intentionally to encourage trade-ins.

They have offered NO other explanation and some very weak excuses, which have been universally debunked on their social media comment sections.

I await a real answer.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #115
Hotrod6464

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Just downloaded way cool
Hotrod6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #116
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
You were fed a line of crap. Yes, the hardware is slightly different, but any function that OnStar can do when you press the blue button or phone in to their toll free number is a function that can and SHOULD be available to a smartphone. It would also be TRIVIAL to have access to those functions via the OnStar Website you log into with your account.

They simply chose not to offer these features for people with existing vehicles of prior model years. It can be argued that they do this intentionally to encourage trade-ins.

They have offered NO other explanation and some very weak excuses, which have been universally debunked on their social media comment sections.

I await a real answer.
WTF is with onstar, do they all drive mustangs or something? all they have to do is give us a shitty version of the app with whatever is on the website if that's the best they can do...
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #117
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
WTF is with onstar, do they all drive mustangs or something? all they have to do is give us a shitty version of the app with whatever is on the website if that's the best they can do...
We all know what OnStar can do with the 2010 because we get those email status reports once a month. Even if there was some feature (like remote start) that was physically hardware limited from working on OnStar, the rest of the things we already do should be easily performed.

A few other things I would suggest they add would be an alert if the security system goes off ot the car is moved. Maybe a "find my car" thing with google maps. The latter should be possible with the 2010 model, since they have "turn by turn" navigation.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #118
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
I just tried the app and can confirm that it DOES work with the car in a parking garage! Good for me because my car is in a parking garage 90% of the time!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #119
Jeremeymt

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2LT
Not compatible with 2010 = FAIL
Jeremeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #120
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
+1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #121
charwoods3

Drives: 2011 1LT Red
I can't seem to find it in the marketplace on my Droid X. Did they take it out or am I the only person having this problem?
charwoods3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #122
Bobbyosto

Drives: 2013 Camaro & 2012 Corvette GS
Maybe I'm dumb, but can I start YOUR car with MY phone?
Bobbyosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #123
asmith10

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyosto View Post
Maybe I'm dumb, but can I start YOUR car with MY phone?
I suppose its possible if you had the persons account information haha now that would be one way to surprise your friend!
asmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #124
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
I sent this message to OnStar feel free to reuse, I think that its fair but firm:

Dear OnStar,

I am sad to say that I won't be renewing my subscription to your service at the end of my trial period. Today, as I am sure you are aware, you released a mobile application that is not compatible with my vehicle because it is a 2010 model. I know that you will undoubtedly anticipate a great deal of response to this, so I will keep my message short. Thanks for making it an easier decision! Now, I'll be forced to feel unsafe, but at least I'll retain some semblance of dignity. No 2010? Slap in the face... Onstar, why? What would be so hard? Just so you know, this is BAD. A BAD THING IS HAPPENING. We, the loyal early buyers and rescuers are being cheated out of our lunch money by our overbearing illegitimate parents, namely, ONSTAR. What 2011 would there be to drive if none of us bought 2010s to begin with!? OnStar employees ALL wear mink coats and drive DODGES.

How dare you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #125
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

I just wanted to THANK OnStar for their helpful app...

I just installed the app to confirm it DOES NOT work with my car. In the process I noticed when I logged into their website that my subscription reverted to the "Directions and Connections" plan when it expired last month. Since I don't feel like giving them any more money than I have to, it alerted me to the fact that I can change to the "safe and sound" plan, which is $10 less per month.

Had I not attempted to use their so-called "App", I would have inadvertently continuted to pay for the more expensive service. Their failed app alerted me to an opportunity to punish them for their bad support.

Thanks OnStar!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #126
DavidCigam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS A6
I DLed and tested the app out today, it's pretty sweet, but it took awhile for my car to start using it.
DavidCigam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, app, chevrolet, iphone, onstar