Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #589
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
That oil blow-by annoys me. Searching other threads you will see some LLT's (FI or not) are consuming oil, its coming up the breather, and a couple cars have even run low enough to pop the motor. (whether that is a human error or not remains to be unseen) But I personally have had to add oil to the motor before a 3000-mi-interval oil change, which I was very annoyed about.
I also will be installing a catch can soon.

But either way this problem needs to be addressed if we have aspirations of motors making power on FI.
After noticing my oil pressure gage seemed to be reading low I checked my oil and it was so low that I had to add 3 qts. 2 of our motors have popped thus far but we think it is due to sabotage. Haters draining the oil out. It only happened to 2 cars. The 2 cars that were in a dark lot every thursday night for a soft ball game. After one motor had been replaced my brother took it back to the dealer complaining that there was no oil on the dipstick and they noticed the drain plug which was brand new had rounded edges-haters gonna hate I guess. Check ur oil regularly guys. Now back to the regularly scheduled thread....
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #590
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Quoting pretty old post, but it's relavent to my concern.

The oil pump is LOUD. I never imagined it would be as loud as it is. If i have my stero at a normal volume (not loud), I can still hear the oil pump. I am thinking about wrapping the pump with sound deading material, lots of it!

Does anyone know if the oil pump actually needs airflow at all. I don't think it does, because currently it is sealed behind a panel in my front right wheel well. I just want to get other people's thought before I encase the oil pump in a mass of sound deadening material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Actually, its pretty loud in the cabin. Particularly the oil pump. At idle, the oil pump is very noticeable. When driving, the turbo is quite noticible from in the car, particularly the spooling and the wastegate but its actually pretty cool. My stereo has been pretty much off while I am still in the test and tune process, but I don't think you would mind hearing that turbo spooling under load!

And I agree with SCRMING, heat not an issue since Turbo is in the rear. We don't have FAR to drive on the island but do spend a bit of time in stop and go traffic. Plan to do an around the island cruise on Sunday so will let you know if heat is an issue. If you are driving on the freeway between NC and FL, can't see heat from the Turbo as an issue unless you are boosting at 7 psi the whole way, but then you probably have other "heat" issues to worry about.
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #591
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Shouldnt be an issue yes the pump is loud. Is it solidly mounted? making rubber bushings may help.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #592
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
Shouldnt be an issue yes the pump is loud. Is it solidly mounted? making rubber bushings may help.
The pump comes with rubber mounts. Its not the vibration being the issue, its the pumping running is what you are hearing. I would think maybe building a small box around it and insulating the box so you are keeping the pump cool, thats what we are going to do.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #593
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Yeah, building a little box sounds like the best bet.
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #594
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
there are other pumps that should be much more quite. i'm looking into alternatives.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #595
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
there are other pumps that should be much more quite. i'm looking into alternatives.

This is interesting, I have not heard my oil pump. I hear the "clicking" noise that comes from the fuel rail, but not the oil pump.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #596
Z Madness

Quote:
This is interesting, I have not heard my oil pump. I hear the "clicking" noise that comes from the fuel rail, but not the oil pump.
This is for the oil pump returning the oil from the turbo back to the motor.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #597
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Quote:
This is for the oil pump returning the oil from the turbo back to the motor.
Ahh, I didnt know MyWorld was turbo'd. Makes sense now.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #598
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Z, do you have another thread started up showing alot of pictures of your car?

All of us in this thread need to push on the moderators to make your car COTW. Call me a hater, but every week it seems like COTW is always a supercharged SS with 1 or 2 unique things, but I'm a little irked this week because the car is just a Callaway. bought as is. I dont get tired of seeing supercharged SS's as COTW (while they all seem pretty vanilla to me at this point due to how similar each one is to the other), but Im not sure I see the reason to award COTW to someone who just buys something.

I feel a sooped-up v6 is overdue anyways as COTW. Z, you're our man. Plus I just want to see all the things done to your car anyway.

just my $0.02
Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #599
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Z, do you have another thread started up showing alot of pictures of your car?

All of us in this thread need to push on the moderators to make your car COTW. Call me a hater, but every week it seems like COTW is always a supercharged SS with 1 or 2 unique things, but I'm a little irked this week because the car is just a Callaway. bought as is. I dont get tired of seeing supercharged SS's as COTW (while they all seem pretty vanilla to me at this point due to how similar each one is to the other), but Im not sure I see the reason to award COTW to someone who just buys something.

I feel a sooped-up v6 is overdue anyways as COTW. Z, you're our man. Plus I just want to see all the things done to your car anyway.

just my $0.02
I agree!

I think Z needs to create a thread in the Member Journals section so we can bug the mods about it. If everyone that has contributed to this thread give his journal a 5-star rating it would be hard to ignore.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #600
Z Madness

Is that how you get a COTW? I never though to start a build thread. I have one last major piece to mount, my front facia, then the car will look really sharp. Too be honest, I stopped looking at the COTW long ago as it seemed like same cars over and over. I'd vote for Gretchen once it actually runs..... oh the anticipation is killing me!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #601
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Is that how you get a COTW? I never though to start a build thread. I have one last major piece to mount, my front facia, then the car will look really sharp. Too be honest, I stopped looking at the COTW long ago as it seemed like same cars over and over. I'd vote for Gretchen once it actually runs..... oh the anticipation is killing me!
You think it's killing you...

Yours looks cooler than mine. However, watch out for phase 2 (suspension and appearance modes here I come).

Try to post something in the journal section over the holiday weekend and we can all vote for it. Then we can but the mods to get them to make it the COTW for 12/5/2010. That would be ..I think the first V6!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #602
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
i think both of you should get it. Z for starting this whole thing and Gretchen for the twin setup. good work both of you so mods wherever you are make it happen!!

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote