Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 06-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Just had someone try and scam me out of my Camaro...

My Camaro is up for sale on Craigslist. I love the car, don't get me wrong, but the wife and I are trying to buy a house and getting back that monthly payment would help. As soon as I put the car up, I get a text from a 720 area code (Central Colorado). I'm in Texas, so it's not like it's real close.

Anyway he asked a few questions, like if it was still in good condition (this was my first red flag. It says right on the ad that the car is in excellent condition) and if it was still for sale. He then asked me if I had a PayPal account set up (I do, but I told him I didn't). I had read just last week that someone right on these forums tried to send a fake PayPal receipt to them to have their car shipped.

I told the guy no, I didn't have a PayPal account. He told me he preferred to use it because it was secure and sent a couple more texts trying to convince me to set one up (second red flag). I told him that's all well and good but I'd rather stick to cash or a cashier's check. And then he dropped off the face of the Earth. He's not responding anymore and I doubt I'll hear from him again. And you know what, he may genuinely have wanted to use PayPal as a means to pay, but I just had a bad feeling the whole time. I'm wondering if anyone else has used PayPal for something like this or if you prefer cash/cashier's checks as well?

Last edited by RubberChicken; 06-16-2014 at 03:03 PM.
RubberChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'd definitely advise against posting your cell or even home number on Craigslist. Plenty of bots out there that will pick up the number and you'll get sales calls as a result. And probably a lot of calls from Autotrader ad sales reps, car buying services, and other people.

Use the Craigslist email relay feature (this protects your email address as well) and only give out your number to people that you've validated to be local and (not) scammers.
Evergreen6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Trust your instincts and unfortunately this is now a world that we live in. Glad that you didn't get scammed.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Any Craig's List ad you place is going to generate a lot of scam attempts. That's just the nature of Craig's List. Never accept PayPal for something that large - the PP fee's alone will kill you.

CASH ONLY... in person only.
I even do it the other way around. I bought a 1968 El Camino a few months ago from a gentleman who lives across town (about a 30 minute drive). I went a few times looking at the car before I decided to go ahead and purchase. I then had him drive it up to my bank, where we met. I borrowed an office from my banker and sat down with the guy, did the paperwork (title, required TX forms for registration, etc.) and then I counted him out the cash. He followed me from there to my home where we left the car and I drove him back home in one of my daily driver vehicles.

IN PERSON
IN CASH

I don't give my phone number out on Craig's List either.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
People do not commonly use PayPal for big ticket items like cars. Be wary of anyone who offers to bump up the price to cover your PayPal fee.

In person is the way to go for car sales...if not cash then meet the buyer at their bank and have the check drawn in your presence. Lots of fake bank checks out there.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I only sell local when I am trying to sell a car. Local ads only if I use an ad at all.
Most if the time I can park it in my front yard with a for sale sign on it and be sold in just a few days.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
My favorite are the autotrader sales of cars that are 5-10k less than they should be. They're always listed as being in some rural zip code. By chance a few years ago one of them was near me. I emailed and emailed them to see if I could come see the car. No replies.

They're hoping to get someone eager to send them money for a 'great deal' on the car (which doesn't exist).
Old 06-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Good call, I would never make an exchange with a person that does not adhere to my contingencies, nice catch.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
That's a common scam on CL.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
never accept paypal for a car or high priced item...trust me..I got screwed..paypal still "thinks" I owe them 3500..lol..not in this day.
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
My favorite are the autotrader sales of cars that are 5-10k less than they should be. They're always listed as being in some rural zip code. By chance a few years ago one of them was near me. I emailed and emailed them to see if I could come see the car. No replies.

They're hoping to get someone eager to send them money for a 'great deal' on the car (which doesn't exist).
I saw a car just recently on EBay like one I owned back in the 70's and the sellers location was my town. I sent him a message asking if I could come inspect the car before placing a bid, mainly because some of the pictures did not match his description. He never contacted me back and his car did not sell for his reserve.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
I wouldn't trust paypal offers. I prefer cash and cash only! Seen too many members on here get screwed by some scumbag!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
No Excuses
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I sold a car on craigslist had a guy come look at it and wanted to buy it instantly. He gave me cash up front, but for extra security I had him go with me to the bank give me the money and I deposited into my account making sure they werent fake 100's. Can never trust people nowadays.
No Excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
I've googled a bunch of scam stuff and saved the conversations and emails. When I realize I'm being scammed I just start sending their own junk back at them. Funny thing is, half the time they follow along with it, for a little while at least.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote