Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Here is the vid of the LL for the Z. The driver is doing a fantastic job but honestly, I think he could have possibly got even a little bit more out of it if he would have got on the power a little earlier out of each of the turns. His shifting is flawless, especially the down shifts. But, who knows... darned incredible regardless.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-hot-lap-video
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
DavidCorsaro
Hamfist Racing

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Don't forget, 150 more hp helped that 5 sec difference...

-Don
Don't forget -3.x° of front camber. That in itself makes a huge difference on turn-in.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi all,

The inevitable tide of new technology will aways produce a new car...or motorcycle, or jet or ?????? that will supercede the previous leader in that field. I believe it just human nature to always attempt to "beat the best."

I've always been of the mindset that you buy a performance car for a combination of the things it does for your soul. The very day you buy your latest, greatest idea of a car, there is another one out there that is faster, sleeker, more equipped or whatever.

I love the looks, drivabilty, and overall performance of our 14 & 15's, and nothing will change that for me. Since I use my Z/28 as a weekend, fun to drive car, and will never race it, I'm always going to be satisfied with its performance. Even the wealthy folks who just bought an exotic Italian (or whatever) import, will find that the next day, someone bought (or created) something better or faster or ??????.

To me, it's all a matter of love and desire, and I really do love my '15 Z/28.

Take care,

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
Hi all,

The inevitable tide of new technology will aways produce a new car...or motorcycle, or jet or ?????? that will supercede the previous leader in that field. I believe it just human nature to always attempt to "beat the best."

I've always been of the mindset that you buy a performance car for a combination of the things it does for your soul. The very day you buy your latest, greatest idea of a car, there is another one out there that is faster, sleeker, more equipped or whatever.

I love the looks, drivabilty, and overall performance of our 14 & 15's, and nothing will change that for me. Since I use my Z/28 as a weekend, fun to drive car, and will never race it, I'm always going to be satisfied with its performance. Even the wealthy folks who just bought an exotic Italian (or whatever) import, will find that the next day, someone bought (or created) something better or faster or ??????.

Take care,

JJ
^^THIS^^ Excellent post.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #19
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Don't forget to factor in that VIR was repaved (really well) after last years LL. It was repaved a couple years before that (really poorly). Unfortunately the 2015 & 2016 LL's suffered with a very poor track surface. Exactly how much this years better track surface benefitted the 2017 LL hard to guess.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 09-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #20
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
I wish they'd take all the American cars from the past 10 years that are on that list and run them again, same day, same driver. That would make for some great reading.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #21
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
Hi all,

Take care,

JJ
So true! Great cars of any era still stand tall years and years down the road. Take a Countach for example... our cars will blow them away in all facets except one.. it is still one of the coolest cars ever built. I believe the combination of several factors will make ours continue to stand tall for many generations to come.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
I wish they'd take all the American cars from the past 10 years that are on that list and run them again, same day, same driver. That would make for some great reading.

Agree....so hard to compare w/ all the different drivers, weather conditions, etc. They should take the top 5 best performers from each year and run them w/ one driver and as similar weather conditions as possible.

Note to all -- this is not to suggest that the Z/28 would fare better. For all we know, it may fare worse. Regardless, would be fun to see how things turn out.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #23
chip4

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Silver #713
More CD Lightning lap Legends
Camaro vs Mustang:
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...s-ford-mustang

Corvette vs 911
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...vs-porsche-911
chip4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #24
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
A few of you have stated that "new technology" is the reason for the ZL1 1LE running the time it did. Sorry, but it simply comes down to the big aero, period. As stated, a new base model ZL1 (with 150 extra horse) is under a second faster than a Z/28, thats potatoes.
Our Z/28s run with the top dogs with an otherwise mundane aero package, and big inch high reving motor with super car brakes. The new ZL1 1LE is very good at what it does, im just not buying th whole new tech argument.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #25
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
A few of you have stated that "new technology" is the reason for the ZL1 1LE running the time it did. Sorry, but it simply comes down to the big aero, period. As stated, a new base model ZL1 (with 150 extra horse) is under a second faster than a Z/28, thats potatoes.
Our Z/28s run with the top dogs with an otherwise mundane aero package, and big inch high reving motor with super car brakes. The new ZL1 1LE is very good at what it does, im just not buying th whole new tech argument.
Big aero + adjustable camber and what appear to be even more aggressive tires (saw the car in person yesterday).
Old 09-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #26
Z28pex

Drives: 2015 Z28
Nothing new or advanced, but look at the difference it makes just attaching a wickerbill on the z/28 spoiler.
Z28pex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #27
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
I'm not so sure everyone is talking about technology on the car itself, so much as manufacturing tech. The new chasis on the 6th gen is manufactured with weight reduction, stiffness, and strength in mind. You cannot compare the base ZL1 to a Z/28. That is a straight apples to watermelon comparison. The 5th gen ZL1 is a fair comparison. Same equipment, one is manufactured under the very good, but extremely dated Zeta chasis. The other is underpinned by the brand new alpha. The difference in lap time is staggering across any track! Thats not just because it has 70 more hp either.

Please go and look under the hood of a new ZL1 and tell us what you think. While overall the space is tighter, I found it fascinating how they formed the frame rails and the tubular cross bar built into the fire wall. You can actually see where the cars chasis was strengthened. So much so, they don't have a conventional Strut tower brace. It isn't needed like a 5th gen. I'm stoked that the new ZL1 1LE is running faster than the likes of the the C6 ZR1 corvette! It's badass to see a car defy physics on the scale the camaro does. Any sane auto enthusiast would say a 3837lbs car shouldn't do what the ZL1 1LE does. They said the same about our 3856lbs Z/28. It's one reason why I bought a Z/28 instead of a Z06/Z07 Corvette. The denial and look on people's faces when they see what one of these cars can do is priceless.
2014 Red Hot Z/28, CTF car #39/69. HCI, Supercharged, boltons.
2006 SRM GTO, exhaust, VMR V701 wheels (SOLD)
2002 Bright Red Trans Am WS6: HCI, exhaust, tune, Konis, UMI sways, LCAs, Track bar, STB, 2" boxed steel SFCs (SOLD)
YOLO Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote