Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Tonka00

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
2010 CAMARO LOVE/HATE BLOWN ENGINE

Hi! my fellow 5th gen brothers. First time poster felt this would be the right spot to post it in. So I will keep this story short and detailed as possible. I bought my 5th gen Camaro last year around August from a buddy of mine. Its a 2010 SS 6mt with 22k miles on it, he was going to sell it but with those miles I said that is a good buy. It was boosted with turbonetic system but I had declined to keep the boost. We went back to stock. As it was going to be a daily driver. Not a garage queen. lol jk (More like a shop queen now lol) So in Oct the OIL pump went bad and broke something internally. (I'm not a mechanic, just like driving fast) So I Parked the car saved some money, my initial route was to get a wrecked auction Camaro. Rip the heart out for mine.

The heart never came in the auction cars were going for way to much out of my budget. Come Jan 2018 I had seen a LS3 for sale on my local offer up for 3600 hundred. It was from a trophy truck and only used for 1k. I said might well get this engine. (oh how I wish I could go back) Got the engine had someone slap it in. When it started up it was running so bad I knew it needed professional help. I started looking for performance shops. I found one. Took it in asked what we could do. They told me the lifters were failing and slapping the Cam. We worked out a deal to do the Lifters with mild btr cam. I was so exited this was 2 weeks ago.

This morning I get call from the shop. Well they finished they started up the car last night had base file on it. Car drove for 15 mins and starting banging internally they tore it down this morning piston shot. All I hear in my head is get an LS they said it be fun they said. lol Ow well the shop it as working on quote to either do a forged internal bottom end or stroker kit. Even after all the money I spent I still feel like going down the Rabbit hole. What do you guys think what would you do. I hemorrhaging money so I'm thinking lightly at the moment. Do think I should just put stock internals again?

thanks for reading any Ideas or question your pondering I will answer the best that I can. I will keep you posted on my decision.
Tonka00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Find a reputable shop and have them build it right the first time
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Tonka00

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SSCamaro View Post
Find a reputable shop and have them build it right the first time
getting a full rebuild with btr CAM could not afford the forged internals. She getting done right the first time.
Tonka00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 camaro