Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Nope, and unless it's a true wideband o2 it really is useless.
Surprised by this. Mustang and Challenger both include it and yes it is a wide band. Disappointed to hear this.

Have there ever been software updates in previous models that enable additional features like this?

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Surprised by this. Mustang and Challenger both include it and yes it is a wide band. Disappointed to hear this.

Have there ever been software updates in previous models that enable additional features like this?

I'm pretty sure those are not wideband o2s they are reading from but I could be wrong. In reality, they aren't very useful gauges anyways since you really only need them for tuning. And for tuning you are going to want to data log to make best use.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #17
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure those are not wideband o2s they are reading from but I could be wrong. In reality, they aren't very useful gauges anyways since you really only need them for tuning. And for tuning you are going to want to data log to make best use.
True on the tuning, but I have one hard mounted in my supercharged Challenger to keep an eye on things when giving it the loud pedal. Invaluable for me.

Yes I know for sure the one in the Challenger is a WB. I presume the Mustang is as well. Those can also feed data loggers through the OBDII port. Saves about a grand in "stuff" if the car comes with it.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #18
SuperSound

Quote:
True on the tuning, but I have one hard mounted in my supercharged Challenger to keep an eye on things when giving it the loud pedal. Invaluable for me.

Yes I know for sure the one in the Challenger is a WB. I presume the Mustang is as well. Those can also feed data loggers through the OBDII port. Saves about a grand in "stuff" if the car comes with it.
Yea I can see keeping an eye on it on a FI setup. I'm sure the Camaro has a WB sensor, just no display.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Yea I can see keeping an eye on it on a FI setup. I'm sure the Camaro has a WB sensor, just no display.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Yep, and I'm betting it can be displayed through the OBDII port. Saves a WB and the headache of wiring it up. I need to test that on a 2016 model. I've got a bluetooth OBD Link MX that's pretty bad ass when paired with the Torque app.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Yep, and I'm betting it can be displayed through the OBDII port. Saves a WB and the headache of wiring it up. I need to test that on a 2016 model. I've got a bluetooth OBD Link MX that's pretty bad ass when paired with the Torque app.
Went and seriously played with a 2SS on Saturday. The first test drive was just to see if I liked the car, and I do. This one was to see if I could "live" with the car in terms of owning it. I played with all the gizmos.

I hooked up my OBDII bluetooth scanner and fed it to Torque app on my Droid phone to scan to see what could be displayed. Most everything is there EXCEPT AIR FUEL RATIO!!! What is Chevy thinking?? Even my 2002 4Runner and my 2009 370Z have this through OBDII and the new Challenger AND Mustang display it on the dash! That is critical for a performance enthusiast like myself. Now I didn't get time to go dig and see if there is some other PID that will display it as the sales girl looked at me like I had a third arm growing from my forehead when I started hooking up to their car

You do get timing advance, intake air temp, and a bunch of other stuff though, but AFR...c'mon GM!

I was a bit disappointed in only 3 options for the display. I believe in the Challenger and Mustang they are customizable. Not the case here.

MyLink seems elementary as well compared to Uconnect.

All of that aside, I now have my 2009 370Z up for sale and when I sell it will place an order for a 2SS. The driving experience over comes the technical limitations for me.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #21
SuperSound

Quote:
Went and seriously played with a 2SS on Saturday. The first test drive was just to see if I liked the car, and I do. This one was to see if I could "live" with the car in terms of owning it. I played with all the gizmos.

I hooked up my OBDII bluetooth scanner and fed it to Torque app on my Droid phone to scan to see what could be displayed. Most everything is there EXCEPT AIR FUEL RATIO!!! What is Chevy thinking?? Even my 2002 4Runner and my 2009 370Z have this through OBDII and the new Challenger AND Mustang display it on the dash! That is critical for a performance enthusiast like myself. Now I didn't get time to go dig and see if there is some other PID that will display it as the sales girl looked at me like I had a third arm growing from my forehead when I started hooking up to their car

You do get timing advance, intake air temp, and a bunch of other stuff though, but AFR...c'mon GM!

I was a bit disappointed in only 3 options for the display. I believe in the Challenger and Mustang they are customizable. Not the case here.

MyLink seems elementary as well compared to Uconnect.

All of that aside, I now have my 2009 370Z up for sale and when I sell it will place an order for a 2SS. The driving experience over comes the technical limitations for me.
I came away with the exact opposite view. There are tons of menus in the Camaro. The theme change the way info is displayed, but you can get to any display from each of the 3 themes. I was happy to see now only Track/Artist info display in the center screen, but album artwork does too. Uconnect doesn't even show any data except FM/XM channel number in the center display. What good is that? Then add in the fact Uconnect doesn't swipe, requiring you to touch the screen each time to flip pages and is generally slow. MyLink flipped through my iPod playlists and tracks much quicker.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
I came away with the exact opposite view. There are tons of menus in the Camaro. The theme change the way info is displayed, but you can get to any display from each of the 3 themes. I was happy to see now only Track/Artist info display in the center screen, but album artwork does too. Uconnect doesn't even show any data except FM/XM channel number in the center display. What good is that? Then add in the fact Uconnect doesn't swipe, requiring you to touch the screen each time to flip pages and is generally slow. MyLink flipped through my iPod playlists and tracks much quicker.
The last thing I would care about is cover art being displayed. Have you sat in a new Challenger and played with the performance pages system or the Mustang? They are light years ahead. The MyLink looks like a child's toy computer in comparison. I also wonder how future proof this system will be as phones get updated etc. Those things can date a vehicle real quick.

Here's some quick examples of what you get in the Challenger. Chevy could take lessons here.

Last edited by Speedy1975; 02-01-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
SuperSound

Honestly most of the Performances are more of a gimmick to me. I love the full time slips for 1/8 and 1/4 mile. MyLink has the same friction bubble, extra gauges(except A/F), 0-60 and 1/4 timer. But the rest is something the average person may look at once and never again. That and fact is takes like 10 secs to load almost everytime, it's cool but not something I'm going to use on a daily basis. Flipping through my 3000+ song iPod is something I do on every drive. So I'll gladly exchange one for the other. As for child's toy, simple is what you want to use with driving. Not a system with screens full of buttons and multiple presses to get to where you want to go. I agree MyLink could use some dressing up, but the simplicity means smaller learning curve and easy to use when driving.

Future proofing is what Android Auto and CarPlay are about. They are protocols developed by the phone manufactures. So right now this verison of Uconnect is more likely to be outdated than MyLink. FCA did announce they were going to add it, but no word if it will be a software update or new hardware only.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #24
Speedy1975
FASTER!

I agree on simple while driving. I just wish MyLink looked a little more whiz bang.

I'm glad to see manufacturers leaning on cell phones for the actual tech and just providing a comm interface for them. That is the real answer. Maybe one of these days I can display my Torque App on the touch screen. THAT would rock.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #25
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Yeah I am more concerned about how Android Auto works. I have heard every thing between it is open source to there is limitations to what can be done. Interested to see what it looks like in my next month. I would really love it if I could use all my google apps or just put my cell phone screen on the mylink.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #26
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Not to get to far off topic, but I prefer an EGT gauge to an o2 sensor gauge hands down. I had one drilled into one of the long tube header pipes on my 1999 SS and swore buy it for tuning and monitoring since i was spraying nitrous.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #27
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Yeah I am more concerned about how Android Auto works. I have heard every thing between it is open source to there is limitations to what can be done. Interested to see what it looks like in my next month. I would really love it if I could use all my google apps or just put my cell phone screen on the mylink.
I hope the screen looks better for android auto than Apple play does. The screen when I'm using the my link system looks to be like ipad quality, and then when you plug in Apple CarPlay it goes down to what looks like 320p.....It looks crude.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #28
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Yeah I hope it is not a let down like that either. Would really be a let down. Although time will probably change most of the first shortcomings of the systems.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote