Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Sport Mode?

When people say "i put the car in sport mode" are they referring to taking off traction control?
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Nope. Sport mode refers to moving your gear shift one click down from "drive." this is "manual" mode, where sport is not using the shifters on the back of the steering wheel, and "manual" is when you do use the buttons to shift.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Nope it means take the auto shift lever and put it in S for Sport Mode. Pull it back as far as it will go and that is Sport mode. At that time yuou can use the padel shifters to manually shift, or do not use the padel shifters and it will still shift like normal. If you are using the Sport mode and padel shifters to get it back into "S" just depress the Up Shift padel for about 2-3 sec and it will go back into Sport mode without moving the shifter from Sport to Drive, and back to Sport.

have fun.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
And I think sport mode is way more fun due to a more aggressive shift rate
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Scorpion6
To Honor with Dignity

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic SOLD
Only thing I dislike about this feature is the shifters are on the back of the steering wheel. In my wifes 2011 malibu the manual shifters are actual on the gear shift (center console)

I just hate driving with my hands at 10 and 2...
Scorpion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
oh thats cool. I bet manual is still more fun!
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

It is still fun as hell. Just have to watch taking a turn at higher speed as it is hard to hit the paddle to get it to up shift, but it can be done.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Ive never driven manual which is why I went with an automatic. How do I know when to shift!? When it redlines on each gear? Do I have to downshift to 1st everytime I come up onto a traffic light, stop sign, etc?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
TJ's MARO

Drives: Fully Loaded Black on Black 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Ive never driven manual which is why I went with an automatic. How do I know when to shift!? When it redlines on each gear? Do I have to downshift to 1st everytime I come up onto a traffic light, stop sign, etc?
i shift around 2 1/2 to 3 rpm's at the highest. i feel i get more performance if you let it go near 3, but it obviously takes longer to get there. as far as down shifting, the car WILL do that for you.. on your DIC as you slow down the gear numbers (M_) will go down.. although YES you can down shift if youd like too, i like it because it really throws the car, aggressively.

TJ's MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion6 View Post
Only thing I dislike about this feature is the shifters are on the back of the steering wheel. In my wifes 2011 malibu the manual shifters are actual on the gear shift (center console)

Thats where they're located on the lamborghini and if your shifting before 4000rpm then why even drive in manual? You have to get up in it
DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
To get the best power out of your car you should take a look at the torque curve for your motor (this can be obtained through a dyno). I don't have one handy for the camaro v6 but usually the peek power for a V6 is between 2500-5500 RPMs. Assuming 2500-5500 was the case you would want to take every gear up to 5500 RPMs and then shift and let it climb back up.

Sport mode doesn't necessarily do this for you, but it also doesn't try to downshift all the time like regular drive does (I miss not having a sport mode in my charger). Not downshifting allows you to stay near your peek power for more of the time, hence you get a more aggressive car.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:

The option of the buttons on the shifter is available for the Camaro as well.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
It really depends on what you are doing. If you want to go slow from the light I shift to 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, 4th at 40, etc.

Now if you are wanting to have fun well that is a different story. I will shift to 2nd at about 30-35, 3rd at about 45 or so etc.. You just have to watch the redline because it you get it there the engine will start to cut out as to not destroy itself, and it is embarassing, trust me.

If you are using the padle shifter and say are in 4th, when coming to a light it will automatically downshift to 1, but then you have to shift up manually.

Hope that helped.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:

You need one of these:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...fter+tap+shift

It's the best mod you can make to the automatic.