Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #15
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
Fixed it and
Would it take a extremely built motor to outrun a ZR1, for example? I mean it has 638 HP. A whole engine rebuild huh? Heads, increase stroke, stall, rear end, supercharger/turbo, exaust, nitrous? Excuse my noob-ness, I'm guessing.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Would it take a extremely built motor to outrun a ZR1, for example? I mean it has 638 HP. A whole engine rebuild huh? Heads, increase stroke, stall, rear end, supercharger/turbo, exaust, nitrous? Excuse my noob-ness, I'm guessing.
no such thing as a stupid question. Depends on what kind of engine you're trying to build. And if you want to take a ZR1, it is actually pretty simple. Get a better hp/tq per vehicle lb and put it to the ground with traction.

You can beat a zr1 with 100hp if the vehicle is light enough(i.e. street bike).

If you're talking about an ls3. I'm sure it can be done all motor, but I'd imagine some nice suspension work on that vehicle.

Hell I could get away with a cam swap in my stock ls1 and add a 9in rear end and some slicks and either be scary close to a Z on the strip or possibly beat it if it is stock.

What engine and vehicle are you talking about?

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
MrCool

Quote:
What engine and vehicle are you talking about?
I had in mind a standard F-Body engine (LT1 or LS1), particularly the LT1.

It would be really cool if you could stay street legal and still be able to keep up with a ZR1 on the highway or soemthign.

But I did some HW:
outlawz is running 5.882@120mph in the 1/8th mile, I found a Lingenfelter ZR1 time (from here) and it read 6.539@111.420.

(BTW, I hope he doesn't mind me using his Camaro as an example...) :(

So you probably can, but street legal?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
To those saying instant damage isn't likely... that's complete crap. When I accelerate hard, especially several times in a row, my wallet gets damaged... it's small but it's cumulative. Be warned!
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
7CAMARO7

Quote:

It would be really cool if you could stay street legal and still be able to keep up with a ZR1 on the highway or soemthign.

But I did some HW:
outlawz is running 5.882@120mph in the 1/8th mile, I found a Lingenfelter ZR1 time (from here) and it read 6.539@111.420.

Street legal is not a matter of how much hp you've got. Its a matter of having a working horn, headlights, tail lights, wind shield, and whatever else they can give you a ticket for not having.

Too much hp? Never been an issue. There are guys with over 1000rwhp that drive their cars on the street.

btw, I've seen a Nova that would wax a zr1 on the 8th based on the time you gave. The thing is the nova is a purpose built race car. I doubt it had a horn(like the cops will tell you to honk your horn anyway), but the head lights and tail lights work on it. It runs like 4s I heard once it got in the 3s. I've seen 4s with my own eyes.

Trust me stay away from lt1s... Very difficult to work on, out dated, and they have some pretty jacked up design issues such as when the water pump goes out it WILL leak on the optispark which is not cheap.

They can be made fast just like anything else, but a much better engine is the ls1.

The ls1 is much more simple to me. Both are pretty cheap.

To put things into perspective... A buddy of mine had an lt1 and he had full boltons on it already and a cam planned. I told him my full bolton dyno numbers on my ls1 and he told me his with a cam would put out about the same. Then he bought an ls1 and cammed it

An important rule to remember is anything can be made fast.

2 of the fastest cars I've ridden in were a I think '68 roadrunner(reminds me of Vin Diesel's car at the end of Fast n Furious 1) and a I think '95 front wheel drive eclipse.

A 440CI roadrunner and a 4cyl eclipse... Think about that... lol

The road runner's power was breath taking from a dead stop. It was like you're sitting still and boom... FLIGHT! The most hauling ass I've done in my life from a dig lol.

My other buddy had an eclipse which had a built engine and turbo and who knows what all else. Well we were going around a curve at about 85mph and he decides to downshift to 3rd and softly lay into the pedal. This mfer started blowing the tires off at 85mph on a curve and had me about shitting my self. We were out in the country and I saw nothing but trees lol Guy could drive. He said he has stuck to Viper before...

anyways, built can be better than bought. Street legal is not decided by hp.

Get an ls1,6,3,7,9 and you'll be in good shape lol

Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

You know, like

Just Curious...
you cant usually spot the damage (ie wear and tear) that gets put on the car during hard accelleration. that is, until something breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhawk View Post
and a case of permagrin.

If you take care of you Camaro properly this shouldn't be a problem. My 95 Z/28 has been to the track plenty of time and so far the only thing with a problem is the rear end.
the rear end was a problem before you took it to the track.

damn 10 bolts....

Quote:

But I did some HW:

1/8 mile times are one thing, but what are those two cars running in the 1/4? LS series engines have some stupid rediculous top end power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
To those saying instant damage isn't likely... that's complete crap. When I accelerate hard, especially several times in a row, my wallet gets damaged... it's small but it's cumulative. Be warned!

its not always small. my trans shit the bed on a hard launch. well, 2nd and 4th gear did anyway. 1st gear let go a month ago doing a burnout. lmao.

Quote:
Street legal is not a matter of how much hp you've got. Its a matter of having a working horn, headlights, tail lights, wind shield, and whatever else they can give you a ticket for not having.

Too much hp? Never been an issue. There are guys with over 1000rwhp that drive their cars on the street.

btw, I've seen a Nova that would wax a zr1 on the 8th based on the time you gave. The thing is the nova is a purpose built race car. I doubt it had a horn(like the cops will tell you to honk your horn anyway), but the head lights and tail lights work on it. It runs like 4s I heard once it got in the 3s. I've seen 4s with my own eyes.

Trust me stay away from lt1s... Very difficult to work on, out dated, and they have some pretty jacked up design issues such as when the water pump goes out it WILL leak on the optispark which is not cheap.

how are LT1s any harder to work on than any other engine? their "jacked up" design issues are where the LS1 takes its roots. the optispark mounting location was not the best choice when they designed this motor, but the water pump weep hole can be taken care of by a small piece of hose. not to mention, the water pump on the LT1 is not belt driven. meaning if your belt snaps, you can still drive a good distance without worrying about overheating the engine. the opti... when it works, it works. ive seen 1000+hp combos running a stock GM optispark without fail. and ive seen optis crap out from morning mist. not to mention the reverse flow cooling that allows higher stock cr.

but ive never seen an LT1 with piston slap like an LS1.

They can be made fast just like anything else, but a much better engine is the ls1.

The ls1 is much more simple to me. Both are pretty cheap.
depending on how you look at it, the LT1 is more simple. but its personal opinion on that point. both engines have their high and low points. both engines were the top dogs of the day in their time.

To put things into perspective... A buddy of mine had an lt1 and he had full boltons on it already and a cam planned. I told him my full bolton dyno numbers on my ls1 and he told me his with a cam would put out about the same. Then he bought an ls1 and cammed it
dyno numbers dont mean squat if you cant put that power to the ground.
I respect the LS1, but my LT1 has handed many an LS car their ass.

An important rule to remember is anything can be made fast.

2 of the fastest cars I've ridden in were a I think '68 roadrunner(reminds me of Vin Diesel's car at the end of Fast n Furious 1) and a I think '95 front wheel drive eclipse.

A 440CI roadrunner and a 4cyl eclipse... Think about that... lol

The road runner's power was breath taking from a dead stop. It was like you're sitting still and boom... FLIGHT! The most hauling ass I've done in my life from a dig lol.

My other buddy had an eclipse which had a built engine and turbo and who knows what all else. Well we were going around a curve at about 85mph and he decides to downshift to 3rd and softly lay into the pedal. This mfer started blowing the tires off at 85mph on a curve and had me about shitting my self. We were out in the country and I saw nothing but trees lol Guy could drive. He said he has stuck to Viper before...

Get an ls1,6,3,7,9 and you'll be in good shape lol

LS motors are the future, but you cant progress forward without remembering the past and what got you to where you are.

like I said before, I respect the LS1, but I love the LT1.

LS1s are smooth, easy power.
LT1s are hard, rough power. and I like it rough.

both engines have their benefits, the LS architecture uses 6 bolt mains, aluminum blocks, composite intake manifold, coil on cylinder ignition, plus many other great benefits.

the LT architecture (save for the LT5's), are a mix of 2 and 4 bolt mains, cast iron blocks (good for racing), gear driven water pump, reverse flow cooling, lightweight rotating assy (pink rods. lol), dry intake, and other things.

its chevy v8 architecture. just like the LS1 being compared to the LS3. the LS3 is a superior engine. it was designed to be a superior engine to the LS1 the same way the LS1 was designed to be superior to the LT1. I cant wait till the Gen V motors start making their way into production and the LS3 will be outdated.

all that being said. back to the main point of this thread.

what kind of damage can be caused by hard accelleration.

that really depends on if you spin or hook.
if you dead hook, you are putting a strain on the drivetrain and suspension. the stock rear end in these cars is one of the weakest links in the car.
now, if you spin, you are still putting some strain on the same parts, but not as much as dead hooking 3700lbs. and part of that is just due to the way the car is built. stamped steel control arms, non-welded axle tubes, torque arm mounted to the transmission tailshaft, etc.

things can break at any power level. however, unless you are running slicks or some damn good tires, you more than likely wont be dead hooking often.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
outlawz

Drives: 1995 Camaro Z28 Drag car
Quote:
1/8 mile times are one thing, but what are those two cars running in the 1/4? LS series engines have some stupid rediculous top end power
I don't know what the ZR1 runs in the 1/4.. With a 6.5 in the 1/8th it's probably around 10.7 or so.....

I ran a 9.20@151mph on that 5.88 1/8th mile pass so ridiculous top end power i have covered.... LS motors are just like anything else when it comes to top end power. They have great head flow and make good power in the upper RPM band which is where you need it past the 1/8th mile....

Having an LS vs LT discussion isn't that smart. The LT was a 5 year run in the F-body while they were developing the LS series of motors. It's truly a red headed step child if you will.... Aftermarket parts availability was not bad but once the LS1 motor came out all the companies started producing parts for it and not the LT motors. Which is why there is NO aftermarket block availability for LTx motors which would allow us to produce ALOT more power.

HOWEVER, the caveat to that is that the LT1 is basically a 23 degree headed reverse cooled small block chevy. Take away the funky front mount distributor and cam driven water pump and you have a 2 bolt main small block from the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc... There are ups to that fact. Alot of parts that work for SBC's will work for LT1's. Cranks, rods, pistons are pretty much the same and can make for a killer bottom end. 4 bolt conversions are available with a good machine shop. Reverse cooled 23 degree heads from AFR flow very well and allow you to run quite a bit of compression since the heads and combustion chambers stay cool. The manifold on the LT is where you run into issues. At RPM levels above 6500 the manifold is complete garbage. Air reversion and turbulence cuts power at those levels and above. So you have to convert to a single plane fuel injected manifold which can be costly. Yes the LT1 stock vs stock is not as good as the LS motor. The LS has a better aftermarket, heads flow better, bottom end is strong, aluminum blocks are a plus, etc..... However if you pour 10K into an LS1 and put 10K into an LT1 you'll find that the LT is not very far behind in performance.....

My motor for example. Custom built 4 bolt main stock block LT1. Stroked to 383 cubic inches, 6" rod, JE nitrous pistons. AFR 227cc reverse cooled heads (stock is 190cc), single plane edelbrock manifold with accufab 1250cfm throttle body.... it's QUITE a serious piece and the price tag is not for the faint of heart. But in my 3400 lb car it will run 10.6@127 on motor (which is about on par with a stock ZR1 which is lighter AND supercharged) and on nitrous which is what it was built for it has the power to run in the 8.90's full tilt on everything we can throw at it.... My motor was built to run up to about a 500hp shot of nitrous oxide. currently we have only sprayed it with a 325 shot (which resulted in the 9.20@151).... So the point of this post was to show that it doesn't matter what engine you have. LT, LS, LX, TQ, PS... doesn't matter. you throw enough money at a small block chevy and it'll run. It's all in your COMBINATION of parts and having smart people around you to help you make the decisions about what will work and what won't. I've been lucky to have guys like that around me along the way....
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
how are LT1s any harder to work on than any other engine? their "jacked up" design issues are where the LS1 takes its roots. the optispark mounting location was not the best choice when they designed this motor, but the water pump weep hole can be taken care of by a small piece of hose. not to mention, the water pump on the LT1 is not belt driven. meaning if your belt snaps, you can still drive a good distance without worrying about overheating the engine. the opti... when it works, it works. ive seen 1000+hp combos running a stock GM optispark without fail. and ive seen optis crap out from morning mist. not to mention the reverse flow cooling that allows higher stock cr.

but ive never seen an LT1 with piston slap like an LS1.

lt1s are harder to work on becaust they take up more space in the engine bay.

opti spark placement sucks and its good to know theres a fix for it

SPEAKING OF OVERHEATING an if an lt1 loses its coolant or if the water pump fails, the engine WILL overheat and possibly kill its self. Ls1s and the 3800s around those years will both shut down if the temp gets too high and save the engine from further damage...

I respect the lt1 also, but I wouldn't touch one due to the fact that there are other cheap and more efficient ways to go.

and yea, I agree anything can be made fast.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
7CAMARO7

Quote:
you cant usually spot the damage (ie wear and tear) that gets put on the car during hard accelleration. that is, until something breaks.
Yes you can... You get an oil analysis

They tell you averages on wear for your kind of engine and where your engine stands. They look at all the different elements inside your engine and tell you if excess iron is showing up in your oil for instance. That would mean your crank is probably wearing away faster than it should as well as all the other parts.

I got one and they told me that my oil, engine wear, oil filter, and air filter are all doing a great job. This lab told me I can do 8000 oil changes as long as I keep using the stuff I'm using

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
lt1s are harder to work on becaust they take up more space in the engine bay.

opti spark placement sucks and its good to know theres a fix for it

SPEAKING OF OVERHEATING an if an lt1 loses its coolant or if the water pump fails, the engine WILL overheat and possibly kill its self. Ls1s and the 3800s around those years will both shut down if the temp gets too high and save the engine from further damage...

I respect the lt1 also, but I wouldn't touch one due to the fact that there are other cheap and more efficient ways to go.

and yea, I agree anything can be made fast.
both engines fill up the engine bay.

as for the overheating... if you arent smart enough to shut your car down when you are overheating, you deserve to blow a head gasket. lol
my point was that if you snap your belt with an LS1, (unless you have an electric w/p), you can drive till the car overheats and shuts itself down. with an LT1, you can continue to drive till the battery is completely dead.

Quote:
Yes you can... You get an oil analysis

They tell you averages on wear for your kind of engine and where your engine stands. They look at all the different elements inside your engine and tell you if excess iron is showing up in your oil for instance. That would mean your crank is probably wearing away faster than it should as well as all the other parts.

I got one and they told me that my oil, engine wear, oil filter, and air filter are all doing a great job. This lab told me I can do 8000 oil changes as long as I keep using the stuff I'm using

but then YOU arent seeing the wear and tear. and say you changed the oil 2k ago, and you went out and dead hooked and twisted the crank just slightly, you wouldnt be able to notice that right away. maybe at the next oil change you might see some shavings or your oil analysis might show something, but you wont know then and there unless something breaks.

I do recommend people send their oil off for analysis at every other oil change or so depending on the age and mileage on the vehicle.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #25
7CAMARO7

Who twists the cranks in lt1s and ls1s? Not normal people with less than 1000rwhp I'm guessing.

and I think the ls1 takes up less space in the engine bay. I've worked around both and I'd seriously hate to long tube an lt car. They were bad enough on my ls1 but doable.

and the overheating lt1 shutdown thing has nothing to do with how smart you are. Everybody doesn't know what their car will do if it doesn't usually happen everyday.

I did my coolant flush on my car and everything went fine.

I helped my buddy do his on his lt1 and neither he or I know that while the radiator looked full that his car could still over heat. We were waiting for the coolant level to drop to add to the radiator and his car was just idling like normal the whole time. A few min later the coolant was still at the top and we looked at the temp and the mfer was like at 300*!!! it was idling perfect too, but we knew the guage was saying shut it down.

point is we had no other indication it was over heating besides the guage inside the car. It continued to run perfect.

an ls1 or l36 car will start missing badly and eventually turn itself off instead of screwing around with your head gaskets which can be costly to replace.

And back to the oil analysis. Yea an oil analysis will tell you of things that can be a problem down the road if you do not catch it soon enough. But when something is broken it is broken. And yes, you are seeing where and tear in an oil analysis as far as what is going on in the engine, otherwise it would be pointless to do.

If your engine is still stock, you've got nothing to worry about when getting on it... It'll take it. If you've got a 6spd just upgrade your pushrods, maintain excellent maintenance, and have a blast... you won't twist your crank, I promise... Even if you do dead hook with a stock engine.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #26
MrCool

Quote:
LS1s are smooth, easy power.
LT1s are hard, rough power. and I like it rough.
I like rough, raw MUSCLE! That why I've never like small little rubber band cars (ie. rice rockets). Just pure numbers.

Quote:
no such thing as a stupid question...You can beat a zr1 with 100hp if the vehicle is light enough(i.e. street bike).
I always forget about weight...it makes a big difference too.

wHEW! I hope you guys don't mind these, lol:

Quote:
cast iron blocks (good for racing)
Like drag strip racing, track racing, street racing, or...?

Quote:
that really depends on if you spin or hook.
if you dead hook, you are putting a strain on the drivetrain and suspension. the stock rear end in these cars is one of the weakest links in the car.
now, if you spin, you are still putting some strain on the same parts, but not as much as dead hooking 3700lbs. and part of that is just due to the way the car is built. stamped steel control arms, non-welded axle tubes, torque arm mounted to the transmission tailshaft, etc.
So what would be an example of Spinning/Hooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz View Post
Having an LS vs LT discussion isn't that smart. The LT was a 5 year run in the F-body while they were developing the LS series of motors. It's truly a red headed step child if you will.... Aftermarket parts availability was not bad but once the LS1 motor came out all the companies started producing parts for it and not the LT motors. Which is why there is NO aftermarket block availability for LTx motors which would allow us to produce ALOT more power.
Why would inavailability (i pulled that word outta my @$$), make us able to produce more power?

Quote:
I've always liked building things than just BUYING it, it's always more fun...

Quote:
Makes sence, until something breaks is probably what I had in mind.

Quote:
as for the overheating... if you arent smart enough to shut your car down when you are overheating, you deserve to blow a head gasket. lol...
The thing is, I know people who are like that...people who get their car info from Need For Speed.

That's a good thing to know too, you can drive 'till your battery dies if you snap a belt.

Quote:
Who twists the cranks in lt1s and ls1s?
What does it mean to twist a crank?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
7CAMARO7

you know the big pulley at the front center bottom of your engine? It is connected to a crank shaft that goes all the way through the engine to the back. The crank shaft makes the pistons go up and down and lubricates the cylinder walls with oil that it splashes up.

To twist the crank would be like twisting anything else I guess. Get a peice of paper roll it into a roll squeeze as hard as you can and twist it, something like that lol. But from what I remember, the crank and block on an ls1 is rated to 1000hp or rwhp. Either way it is only a couple more hp than what I have

Outlawz was saying there is not a ltx block which is truly badass like there is the lsx block. The lsx block is rated to like 2400-2500hp and the ltx just does not exist for those power levels

Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #28
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz View Post
I misread it...oops.

Tags
acceloration, camaro, ls1, lt1, z28