Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #701
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I like it just the way it is, like a fine scotch.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #702
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
not a fan of the ls7. me want thicker walls. . .
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I like it just the way it is, like a fine scotch.
Why?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #703
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Why?

Why?
505 HP in a high revving light weight package. Premium materials. And to top it off the nostalgia of 427 CI.

What's not to love
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #704
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
505 HP in a high revving light weight package. Premium materials. And to top it off the nostalgia of 427 CI.

What's not to love
oh, I thought you were refering to not wanting thicker walls.... just curious as to both of your guys reasons
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #705
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
not a fan of the ls7. me want thicker walls. . .
If you want forced induction, why not just by a ZL1?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #706
flopjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not really.

The LS376 has a bit more power in the midrange, but the LS7 beats it both down low and up top. Plus, we know that the LS7 meets all of GM's durability & emissions requirements for passenger car applications. Can't say the same thing for the LS376.
Dang, I really thought I saw a side by side comparison that had a significant difference in the mid-range. Oh well. The emissions was a good point tho. The thing I don't want to see is a de-tuned LS7. A Z28 owner should not feel like their engine is intentionally held back, and I'm afraid that might be what we see so that its not the same as the Z06.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #707
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopjack View Post
The thing I don't want to see is a de-tuned LS7. A Z28 owner should not feel like their engine is intentionally held back, and I'm afraid that might be what we see so that its not the same as the Z06.
I think the 600 lb. weight difference, Z/28 to Z06, will look after any hierarchical issues...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #708
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I think the 600 lb. weight difference, Z/28 to Z06, will look after any hierarchical issues...
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #709
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
No doubt. The LS7 would and should be left alone (other than putting it in a Z28).
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #710
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Article is entitled the 10 Greatest Muscle Cars of All Time. 5 of them are GM products. Of the 5 GM products none are made today. Yet the other 5 are still made. And you guessed it the Z28 is in the top 3.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slide...0689&GT1=22017

Anybody on the inside listening?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #711
TLSTWIN

Quote:
You kinda knew where I was headed huh

thicker walls, more weight, etc; no longer that much lighter than the LSA
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #712
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Why?
if I ever did want to go FI. I could push higher boost. but it goes back to experience i've already had. I hear and see how thin the walls are on the ls7 it makes me wonder how long it would last with over 1000 horses. don't get me wrong I respect and like what the ls7 is. I just don't want it for my car.

thicker walls also give you the option to bore out more later on. if the engine is producing close to 500 hp at 6.2. . .with the right parts and a better bore and stroke could produce so much more. if you're worried that much about weight then you probably shouldn't even be looking at this car period. you will save how much in weight from a 6.2 to 7.0 ls7? I can't imagine it being more the a few lbs. which could be made up for some where else.

Quote:
I want NA. but with the possibility to go FI in the future. if I ever go FI it will be to push high amounts of boost because I can't get to where I want via NA.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #713
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
You kinda knew where I was headed huh

thicker walls, more weight, etc; no longer that much lighter than the LSA
Well, about the only thing I can think of that thicker walls are good for are forced induction.

As for the weight ... we're talking about 2 or 3 lbs of aluminum going from a 4.125 bore to 4.06, vs ~100 to supercharge it.

Quote:
if I ever did want to go FI. I could push higher boost. but it goes back to experience i've already had. I hear and see how thin the walls are on the ls7 it makes me wonder how long it would last with over 1000 horses. don't get me wrong I respect and like what the ls7 is. I just don't want it for my car.

thicker walls also give you the option to bore out more later on. if the engine is producing close to 500 hp at 6.2. . .with the right parts and a better bore and stroke could produce so much more. if you're worried that much about weight then you probably shouldn't even be looking at this car period. you will save how much in weight from a 6.2 to 7.0 ls7? I can't imagine it being more the a few lbs. which could be made up for some where else.

I want NA. but with the possibility to go FI in the future. if I ever go FI it will be to push high amounts of boost because I can't get to where I want via NA.
Well in that case ... while I don't know what the limits would be for the Z28, but I'm pretty sure they'll be south of 1000 hp. And if you have to rebuild (or replace) the engine, swap the tranny, and so on ... why not save $10k up front and go with an SS?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #714
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:

Weight really isn't a key factor as some think it is. Many factory produced Road course cars do not lose weight but gain. Its all about making the weight work with you through the correct suspension setup and keeping that weight on the move. This is why we want the LS7. The LS7 is a higher reving motor then the LS3, and its those higher revs not so much the higher horse power that gets you out of the corners faster. No factory motor is made to maintain high revs with FI for an extended period of time. Also the 100lbs added over the nose for FI means more suspension improvements to counteract the tremendous push the car would have.

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro