Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Do you have to pay tax on incentives?

My friend is looking at a Silverado (yes I know this is a Camaro forum, but it could apply to a Camaro too).

The dealer have him a pricing breakdown. On it they listed the MSRP, selling price, etc. One of the lines was tax on the incentives, which came out for $348. They explained to him that because it is something that you don't have to pay for and you get the price off the of the vehicle, you have to pay tax on the incentives.

Is this true? I guess the real question here is whether the tax on a vehicle is applied before or after the incentives are applied. Technically if you have to pay tax on the incentives, and you apply the incentives to the vehicle price before you put tax on the vehicle price, then it comes out as the same, but I guess I thought that the incentives would be applied to the price before incentives.

Can anyone tell me how this should work exactly?

TIA!
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Maybe IL has a state income tax and it's considered miscellaneous income?

Didn't have to in WA last time I had an incentives in a deal. Then again, I better be quiet, they might add that tax here, too.

The other thing is that they may consider the incentive as money down, do you are paying a sales tax on the difference.
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I only paid tax on the after incentive price on my '10, and would assume its the same way now (in Texas). Not sure if it works the same way on a rebate, though...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
In IL I want to say you pay taxes on the total before any incentives are taken off. But I'm not 100% certain. In any case, it's not something the dealer would/could be doing to pocket extra money. If it's noted on the receipt as taxes, they are paying it somewhere. And as IL is broke anyway, I could see them taxing it for extra income.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
My friend is looking at a Silverado (yes I know this is a Camaro forum, but it could apply to a Camaro too).

The dealer have him a pricing breakdown. On it they listed the MSRP, selling price, etc. One of the lines was tax on the incentives, which came out for $348. They explained to him that because it is something that you don't have to pay for and you get the price off the of the vehicle, you have to pay tax on the incentives.

Is this true? I guess the real question here is whether the tax on a vehicle is applied before or after the incentives are applied. Technically if you have to pay tax on the incentives, and you apply the incentives to the vehicle price before you put tax on the vehicle price, then it comes out as the same, but I guess I thought that the incentives would be applied to the price before incentives.

Can anyone tell me how this should work exactly?

TIA!
Taxes are run after incentives. These are no different than cash down. In fact, an incentive is cash from the someone, usually manufacturer. They come off the sales price before taxes, licenses and fees.

RUN to another dealership, these guys are crooks.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
EnjoyLife

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Vert bought 9/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post
Taxes are run after incentives. These are no different than cash down. In fact, an incentive is cash from the someone, usually manufacturer. They come off the sales price before taxes, licenses and fees.

RUN to another dealership, these guys are crooks.
If they are no different than cash down, that would mean I would pay no taxes if I bought the car outright.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Here in Michigan you have to buy something before you can get a rebate. Rebates and incentives are always taxed here.
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
DD7

Drives: It goes.
Ditto here in NY. Sales tax is always applied before rebates are deducted, but it varies from state to state. Here is a link to an great article on the topic. Scroll down towards the bottom and it will tell you the info. for each state.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...d-you-pay.html
DD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBear@SpartaChevy View Post
Here in Michigan you have to buy something before you can get a rebate. Rebates and incentives are always taxed here.
ca too...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
In PA. you pay taxes on the total after all rebates and incentives are taken off.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
STuRTzz

Drives: '12 Summit White 2ls W/Black Stripe
I had a $1000 private offer and it was considered as down payment so it was still taxed. California btw.
STuRTzz is offline   Reply With Quote