Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
"Trackdays" and Z/28's

I am opening this new thread with a quote from another poster in a different thread who brought up a good point that some of you may not know about or understand: "Trackdays". If you have never participated in one, you cannot comprehend why the Z/28 was developed as it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Because not all track driving is wheel to wheel competition and fighting for position/coaxing the other guy into making a mistake that lets you get past him, and the not-racing side of it seems to be growing. For example, NJMP here in NJ has been sending out direct advertising via email about driving your street car on their tracks with several dates planned. Approaching/entering Turn 7 on the 1.9 mile Lightning course shown below. Not all of the cars are street legal.

Think "run what you brung" open-tracking at slightly/somewhat less than 10/10ths, "point-by" passing on straights only, and where the cars out on the track during any given session would very likely never fit into the same competition class anyway. And although there generally isn't any official lap timing, most folks do like to pick up the pace as they gain experience.

Not everybody cares to then have to own a truck (that they'd at most rarely use otherwise), plus the trailer (ditto), and then find a place to park all three vehicles, which is what you'd be facing with operating a non street-legal track car.

Norm
Good stuff for those who do not know.

Out west you can look up some of the following groups who will be glad to get you on track:

HOD Hooked on Driving
Speed Ventures
Porsche/Audi/BMW/Mini/Shelby/Lotus/etc Clubs
NASA
NCRC
Trackmaster
SCCA

I have instructed/TT/PDX'd with SCCA for several years, they have a great program to get you on a track in your car. PDX-"Performance Driving Experience", from there you can go into a TT- "Time Trials" group if you like where you run for best times while on track with other cars but you are not door to door racing.

Another good introduction is either the Corvette school at Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV or Porsche Sport Driving School outside of Birmingham AL. Both are awesome sport driving schools. Attend one if you really want to learn how to drive.

Track days are like crack cocaine, only legal, healthier and more fun. I think crack might be cheaper though.

If you have any thought to buy a Z/28 and not track it, that's like marrying the person of your dreams and not having sex with them. It would be ridiculous and there is simply no good excuse for it.

It is a purpose built car to do this sort of thing, engine power is at least fourth on the list of what's important behind 1. Your skill 2. Brakes 3. Handling/Suspension.

For those who decide to explore trackdays it'll be the most fun hobby you ever have.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
If you have never participated in one, you cannot comprehend why the Z/28 was developed as it was.

:high five: You are the torch bearer, my man.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
HPDEs are salve for the soul...

For you NorEasterners, don't forget the track Ron Fellows has an interest in and is in the midst of redoing for a Craftsman Truck race, later this year: Mosport
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Agreed, track days are addicting. I'm heading back to Sebring Saturday for one. Where else can you go as fast as can or feel comfortable doing and not get arrested. I'm usually the only one or one of a couple Camaros out there. Come on guys. Sad part is I don't think the Z28 is going to change that.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Track days are a blast. I have done a few at Road Atlanta with Chin Motorsports, one at Roebling Road with MTI Racing, and one at Atlanta Motorsports Park with MTI. Words can't describe how much fun it is, and how much you progress each time out. Of course with improvement comes more and more mods! I just wish I could get to more of them, and hope to get in a few more this year.

It is a shame that more Camaro owners are not taking advantage of tracking their cars at these events. At Road Atlanta there has only been one more Camaro there, and sometimes none.

We are putting on a Camaro Corral at Road Atlanta next weekend (19th & 20) at the Grand Am race and I am hoping this will inspire few more Camaros around here to come have some fun. We have a parade lap on Friday and Grand Am is working on some hot lap passes as well. Hopefully it will leave a few guys and girls wanting more.
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
...If you have any thought to buy a Z/28 and not track it, that's like marrying the person of your dreams and not having sex with them. It would be ridiculous and there is simply no good excuse for it....
Current favorite for "Line Of The Year"...
Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:

If you have any thought to buy a Z/28 and not track it, that's like marrying the person of your dreams and not having sex with them. It would be ridiculous and there is simply no good excuse for it.
Very well put!

I simply cannot understand how someone would buy this car and not take it to the track. That's what it's made for. Would you buy golf clubs and never play golf? Install a swimming pool and not swim? Buy an airplane and never fly it? This is a track car. Take it to the track!
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

...although I do have a neighbor with a DD '12 Porsche GT3 RS...and it hasn't been on a track...

Some folks just wanna enjoy their vehicles THEIR way. Sinatra/Anka made a fortune from a song along those lines.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...although I do have a neighbor with a DD '12 Porsche GT3 RS...and it hasn't been on a track...
Considering Zfatuated's analogy perhaps you should go see if his wife needs some attention
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:

Track days are like crack cocaine, only legal, healthier and more fun. I think crack might be cheaper though.

I actually think both of these are good lines. The first actually dovetails nicely with my sig.

One nice thing about the new Z/28 is that it will be street legal so we could drive it to the track without the need to trailer it, major bonus.

As one who tracks here in the Midwest at Autobahn CC and Road America I can not wait to see this thing hit the track. Personally I would like a test drive on the track and I am sure some of you would too. I started a thread to this extent and if you agree please chime in.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286856

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Considering Zfatuated's analogy perhaps you should go see if his wife needs some attention
Well...there WAS that marriage of Anna Nicole and the old guy...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Very well put!

I simply cannot understand how someone would buy this car and not take it to the track. That's what it's made for. Would you buy golf clubs and never play golf? Install a swimming pool and not swim? Buy an airplane and never fly it? This is a track car. Take it to the track!

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Well...there WAS that marriage of Anna Nicole and the old guy...
He kept her in perfect condition, she had to be passed down to his grandchildren...
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote