Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It won't be limited in the sense that 'we shall only build 280 units and stop there' type of limit. But there is no way they can build 28,000 of them either. Too many logistical issues get in the way.

Also, I don't believe the engines are 'left overs' from Wixom. There are differences between the Z/28 LS7 and the one in the Z06, namely the A/C being optional. Even though its a slight change, I can't see them running around pulling apart the front end of the engine to remove A/C and swap in a dummy pulley every time a Z/28 gets ordered.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It won't be limited in the sense that 'we shall only build 280 units and stop there' type of limit. But there is no way they can build 28,000 of them either. Too many logistical issues get in the way.

Also, I don't believe the engines are 'left overs' from Wixom. There are differences between the Z/28 LS7 and the one in the Z06, namely the A/C being optional. Even though its a slight change, I can't see them running around pulling apart the front end of the engine to remove A/C and swap in a dummy pulley every time a Z/28 gets ordered.
I haven't seen the LS7 line in Wixom, but there is generally an engine dress line in most vehicle assembly plants where the FAD is installed and the engine is mated to the appropriate transmission.

Just watched an LS9 build video and they racked the finished engine without the front accessories intalled.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
They are still building LS7 crate engines to sell...so would have to believe they are building them as required not pulling them off the shelf.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
They are still building LS7 crate engines to sell...so would have to believe they are building them as required not pulling them off the shelf.
Is that confirmed? Or are crate engines feeding both GMPP and Z/28? Just haven't seen anything on what they are building in Bowling Green.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I asked the question in another thread a while ago and there were a few comments that they are still building them. They could of been lying to me, but I doubt it.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Its only a mater of some time till the LS7 is done, look for a new LT1 in a years time to replace the LS7, so i think we are looking at some where between 1K to 2 K run on the Z/28 at most.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
FRIDAY1313
I AM JASON #1

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to FRIDAY1313
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Its only a mater of some time till the LS7 is done, look for a new LT1 in a years time to replace the LS7, so i think we are looking at some where between 1K to 2 K run on the Z/28 at most.
FRIDAY1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Is that confirmed? Or are crate engines feeding both GMPP and Z/28? Just haven't seen anything on what they are building in Bowling Green.
When are they supposed to begin building at bowling green? Because the Z/28 isn't expected until 1st quarter of next year, that has to be pretty close to when the specialty engines line should start up over there.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Corvette Stingray is scheduled to start regular production the first Monday in August.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Corvette Stingray is scheduled to start regular production the first Monday in August.

Laborsmith
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was refering to the relocating of the performance build centre from Wixom to Bowling Green, where they do the special hand built high performance engines.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
carman II

Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was refering to the relocating of the performance build centre from Wixom to Bowling Green, where they do the special hand built high performance engines.

I recall reading that the PBC will start up in Bowling Green early in 2014.
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman II View Post
I recall reading that the PBC will start up in Bowling Green early in 2014.
Then they will be starting there at almost the exact the same time the Z/28 is scheduled to go into production. That doesn't feel like a coincidence.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Then they will be starting there at almost the exact the same time the Z/28 is scheduled to go into production. That doesn't feel like a coincidence.
Things that make you go hmmmmm...
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
No. There will be more. If you want one, you will
Be able to purchase one provided you have the funds. If needed there will be as many as the zl1.
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote