Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HURST
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #43
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Just noticed A LOT of mustang guys are now all over this site. Not that you guys aren't welcome or anything...

Is is just that the Mustang forums are boring or something?

Anyhow, I'm really glad the reviews are all in our favor (everyone knew they would be). I also have a storng feeling that the Camaro will be puttin gup better numbers once it is broken in. The Corvettes are the same way. Put a couple thousand miles on it and it will be a different car.

As far as the competition goes...I agree that they are all great cars. It's awesome that we're even reading articles like this in this day and age.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #44
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
Wow,so much for the GT500-killing SS or the GT-killing V6. It's a great car though but i hope these comparos bring the hype and unreal expectations down to earth for some people.
I never expected either of those scenarios. A v6 car will never "kill" another similarly powered with a v8 w/ less weight and more torque. Period.

I'm not even going to touch the SS vs Gt500 comparo, have you seen what the Shelby does with intake/pulley/tune?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #45
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
Just noticed A LOT of mustang guys are now all over this site. Not that you guys aren't welcome or anything...
If you look around, most of the people posting, who just happen to be driving a Mustang at this point in time and not necessarily "Mustang" guys, have been around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
I'm not even going to touch the SS vs Gt500 comparo, have you seen what the Shelby does with intake/pulley/tune?
No, I skipped that part.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #46
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
Safety is a big consideration in buying any car with me, and the fact that Ford still doesn't have curtain airbags to protect occupants' heads is a BIG oversight. I would never buy one because of that.
They do have side curtain air bags that deploy from the top outside part of the front seats to protect occupants of the coupes as well as the convertible. The govt mandates these safety items so they are there and have been since 2007.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #47
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Hmmmm our CAMAROS need a track pack to make things even........ ohhh never mind no they dont!!! Just playin... Im actually just glad to see this rivalry come back to life!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #48
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
The only thing I would add to the Camaro that the Mustang has is an aluminum block to cut some weight, otherwise the Camaro rules !!!

The Camaro does have an aluminum block.
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #49
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post

Is is just that the Mustang forums are boring or something?

Anyhow, I'm really glad the reviews are all in our favor (everyone knew they would be). I also have a storng feeling that the Camaro will be puttin gup better numbers once it is broken in. The Corvettes are the same way. Put a couple thousand miles on it and it will be a different car.

As far as the competition goes...I agree that they are all great cars. It's awesome that we're even reading articles like this in this day and age.
I post of the Mustang forums too. I'm a GM guy from way back. My first two cars were 70 Chevelles, a Malibu and a 396SS(wish I still had both). I'm still trying to decide what my next car is going to be. I love the SS but I'm waiting to see the 2011 Mustang 5.0 before i buy.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #50
Outrun
Miss SS ;)

Drives: ...
Send a message via AIM to Outrun
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
I never expected either of those scenarios. A v6 car will never "kill" another similarly powered with a v8 w/ less weight and more torque. Period.

What do you think the SS would do with similar mods?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
well that's good they didn't get this car then

not like this is a suprise, but the camaro should win. the suprise i think, more for the camaro folk is how d--m close the mustang is, especially on a track

That pictures is actually quite meaningless. If it looks that way at Hendricks dealership, alright. But it was driven out to some enthusiasts then went right back behind the gate afterward. And that is only 1 picture, the one I took still shows it, but it is not as noticeable. Many of our trusted members representing GM essentially said that the car won't be delivered to us that way.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #52
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun View Post
It's called the LS9
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #53
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
That was a pretty decent reveiw, but I dont get the choices for the comparing. Why test a mustang with a purpose built package fore twisties with two other standard cars? I also thing the srt-8 should have been in their besides the r/t regardless of the price, since they were comparing chevy's top performer and fords purpose built twistie mustang.

As far as comparing a gt-500 to a ss thats pretty weak no matter if it comes off the ford assembly line or not. All that means is ford couldnt do it themselve and had some 3rd party do the work for them. A better comparison would be an SLP Camaro, gt-500, and mopar challanger. Which I think would be a killer review down the road so I hope they do one.
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #54
Outrun
Miss SS ;)

Drives: ...
Send a message via AIM to Outrun
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That pictures is actually quite meaningless. If it looks that way at Hendricks dealership, alright. But it was driven out to some enthusiasts then went right back behind the gate afterward. And that is only 1 picture, the one I took still shows it, but it is not as noticeable. Many of our trusted members representing GM essentially said that the car won't be delivered to us that way.
And what is sad is that I'm sure this particular pic will be shown for years to come. :(
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #55
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
They do have side curtain air bags that deploy from the top outside part of the front seats to protect occupants of the coupes as well as the convertible. The govt mandates these safety items so they are there and have been since 2007.
Those side airbags to protect the head and seem to do a decent job for the front seat passengers according to the IIHS, but curtain airbags, like the Camaro has, also extend to the backseat, which is important to people like me with a young son. The Mustang has no rear head protection.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #56
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
That's not really possible given the 500 is supercharged from the factory and the SS is not. Those dang SC'd Fords are friggin' knarly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoTToN View Post
That was a pretty decent reveiw, but I dont get the choices for the comparing. Why test a mustang with a purpose built package fore twisties with two other standard cars? I also thing the srt-8 should have been in their besides the r/t regardless of the price, since they were comparing chevy's top performer and fords purpose built twistie mustang.

As far as comparing a gt-500 to a ss thats pretty weak no matter if it comes off the ford assembly line or not. All that means is ford couldnt do it themselve and had some 3rd party do the work for them. A better comparison would be an SLP Camaro, gt-500, and mopar challanger. Which I think would be a killer review down the road so I hope they do one.
I think the review with the cars that was there was pretty fair. I can see your point on the Track Pack though. However, if there were an upgrade for the SS I think it would've been a better comparison. As long as that package is on the option sheet for the 'Stang, I have no problems. I don't, however, think the SRT8 would be appropriate for this test though. Although the SS is every bit comparable to that car, I think it's in a different price range. I think the R/T is though, though I don't think that price is necessarily the end-all-be-all. One can equip that SS into SRT8 territory, so I just didn't really think it was a true apples-to-apples test, in that way. I don't know that I completely agree with the GT500 statements, but I'll admit I'm not too knowledgable in that car - I just know it's bad@$$.

JMVHO.

Quote:
And what is sad is that I'm sure this particular pic will be shown for years to come. :(
I think it'll be gone (probably not forgotten) once cars start showing up on dealership lots that don't have a similar condition.
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote