Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #379
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I don't mind actually because I am confident that anyone considering either car, will see the value in the Camaro. You have to remember that it is not us enthusiasts who will determine the success or failure of this car - it will be the consumer who has no loyalty to either make. This site should be a useful tool for them as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #380
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I don't mind actually because I am confident that anyone considering either car, will see the value in the Camaro. You have to remember that it is not us enthusiasts who will determine the success or failure of this car - it will be the consumer who has no loyalty to either make. This site should be a useful tool for them as well.
Hylton
p.s. I sent GM Canada a message about updating their website, now that CDN pricing is out, have you heard anything about it?...I'm waiting for a response on any possible info.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #381
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Hylton
p.s. I sent GM Canada a message about updating their website, now that CDN pricing is out, have you heard anything about it?...I'm waiting for a response on any possible info.
I believe the official release date is next Monday.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #382
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
2 points I'd like to make:

1. The reason it is being discounted is because that model is about to reach the end of it's lifecycle. Please compare a 2010 Camaro to a 2010 Mustang. There are a few new pics on this website for you to look at.

2. Have you actually seen a V6 Mustang with a 28K starting MSRP? It looks barebones and anyone driving one looks like they can't afford anything better. At least a Camaro has plenty of toys in it for 30K. Nothing worse out there than a convertible with no options.

Im not here to talk about mustangs but I have actually seen PLENTY V6 mustang convertible under 24 k. They have been running full pages add in the paper for weeks around here 23995$.

Thats not going to make me buy one i dont like Ford at all but for the average customer thats one hell of a deal
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #383
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Im not here to talk about mustangs but I have actually seen PLENTY V6 mustang convertible under 24 k. They have been running full pages add in the paper for weeks around here 23995$.
You should go buy one!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #384
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
This is getting a little hostile. The new mustang pricing seems to be close to our pricing, which is retarded, im not sure how true this is, we have to wait until mustang pricing is officially out to decide. But reguardless the camaro is a way better car and deal, but 24 for a v6 convert, will be appealing to the average customer seeing as that is almost a 10k save. Im sure the new mustang is going to have alot of sales seeing as they are the only convertable pony car, so they own one part of the segmant....for now. The new design of the mustang is very nice, except the back, the interior is beautiful, and so is the exterior. Obvously the camaro has a better engine and IRS plus alll the other goodies and design. If the pricing stays the same for the stang, (apparently its close to the camaro now) but if its pricing stayed the same, they willl have a real winner, if the pricing is close to Camaro pricing, they are not going to do very well with those base engines. I wouldnt pay 24 k for a retiring model. My brother has an 05 that he got in 05, just to let you know that im not biased.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #385
fredi91
chevrolet dealer

Drives: 08 Hybrid Tahoe; 11 Camaro 2SS Conv
how orders work...in canada

here's how the ordering works...from a dealership perspective...(these are not actual numbers, but examples)

GM decides that in the month of March the plant will build 1,000 camaros. 800of them are SS and 200 are LT

From that number, they determine that Canada will get a certain % based on demand from dealer orders and market size. SO Canada will get 100 camaros in total - 70 SS and 30 LT built for the month of march. then they break it down even further into weeks; in the first week 30 camaros, second 30, third 30 and the fourth week 10.

Then based on dealerships allotment (which is based on sales rate, current inventory, and some politics), their orders are slotted into those scheduled camaros for canada.

so for example, my dealership has been alloted 8 camaros for the first 6 months of production. here's the break down... 0 in the first month, 2 in the second, 1 in the third, 2 in the fourth, 2 in the fifth and 1 in the sixth.

what this means is that for the first month of production (march in this example) my dealership gets no camaros built. the second month of production, i will get 2; in the third i get 1, etc. As long as all my allotment are SS Camaros, i will get all 8 of my customers orders filled - if i have only allotment for 6 SS camaros, then i have to fill the other 2 with LT's or risk loosing that allotment to another dealer that does have orders for LT's.

so for the 8 orders that i have taken from customers, i've had to prioritze them based on 'whatever' my criteriea is so that all 8 are spread out among the first 6 months of production.

this process happens at EVERY dealership across canada and the USA and every car/truck line is the exact same process. everything is boiled down into weekly schedules that the plants have to fill. so whatever the pland figures it can build in a week, will determine how many camaros will get built. from there it's all about percentages for who gets them - and YES, the USA demand for camaros is much larger than that of canada (i mentioned that in an earlier post about canadas market being smaller than that of california, texas and florida, etc).

as of now every canadian dealership should know how many camaros they are to get in the first 6 months of production (they may not know the exact monthly breakdown, but should know the total number - for us that's 8). once production is up and running, they will then know which weeks they will get those monthly allotments built.

clear as mud???
fredi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #386
Jspeed

Drives: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
I can't believe ALL the comparisons being made with the Mustang on this so-called "Camaro5 forum".
Actually let's compare this way. You can get a 300-HP Camaro, or spend $7000 more to get a 300-HP Mustang that doesn't have IRS and doesn't look as good inside and out. It's a no brainer. Camaro FTW.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #387
Hebe4

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS M6
Fredi91, thanks for explaining. How many of your 8 cars are SS?
Hebe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #388
TJ91

hey fredi91, my dealer said that they didnt have alottment numbers, how do i get them to check? i was the first to order the day of ordering, but there were two poeple who had put a 5k deposit over the summer, so technically i was third. I asked them about what number i was and alottment, they said that it didnt matter who ordered first because it depends on the way the plant builds v8s to v6, so it would be different from me the LT2 and the SS guy, i also havnt gotten any confirmation number or gm workbench forms/photocopies, i did see him building my car on workbench however. Im a bit confused so it would be great if you can help me out
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #389
fredi91
chevrolet dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebe4 View Post
Fredi91, thanks for explaining. How many of your 8 cars are SS?
i have 10 SS orders (so two are going to be waiting). and at this point GM has NOT told me that there will be a restriction on SS vs LT vs LS orders... meaning all 8 of my orders can be SS's.

i'm hoping that when the second half of the year's allotment is given to me, i'll be able to fill out the rest of my customer's orders, but more importantly, get some for stock to be able to show prospective buyers how great the car is.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #390
fredi91
chevrolet dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
hey fredi91, my dealer said that they didnt have alottment numbers, how do i get them to check? i was the first to order the day of ordering, but there were two poeple who had put a 5k deposit over the summer, so technically i was third. I asked them about what number i was and alottment, they said that it didnt matter who ordered first because it depends on the way the plant builds v8s to v6, so it would be different from me the LT2 and the SS guy, i also havnt gotten any confirmation number or gm workbench forms/photocopies, i did see him building my car on workbench however. Im a bit confused so it would be great if you can help me out
they know how many they are getting...their DSM should have told given them that info back in october.

that is correct about the V8 to V6 ratio and what will get ordered first; but at this time, GM has not released their build restrictions. I'm sure they are waiting until they get a better idea from all these 'pre-orders' on what the restriction will be - if there is one at all. So, if there is no restriction, then it won't matter what your order is compared to the other two ahead of you...if you are #3, then you should get the 3rd camaro allotted to that dealership.

yes the dealer can build the car on workbench, but it just sits there in limbo until the monthly/weekly ordering process begins; and we know that's not happening for another month or so. all sold orders entered into the workbench system are tagged priority 1; so this will make it harder for dealers to prioritize...but that will be each of the dealers issues to deal with.

so it is a confusing situation that gets more and more confusing with all the misinformation out there. dealers do know (or should know) their allottment for the first 6 months of production. no dealer can actually order the cars into the plants. no dealer knows the restrictions on v8 vs v6 or any of the other possible restrictions.

all in all... your dealer does know much of the info, but not all the info...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #391
TJ91

wow that made alot of sense, thanks for the reply, im going to head into my dealer tomorow and ask. Would you happen to have a good guess on what the finance rate would be?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #392
fredi91
chevrolet dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
wow that made alot of sense, thanks for the reply, im going to head into my dealer tomorow and ask. Would you happen to have a good guess on what the finance rate would be?
no... and for two reasons:

new calender year (instability of GMAC's credit standing with GM)

brand new model (with tonnes of hype)

becuase of those two factors (ignoring the obvious 'bankruptcy' talks) i wouldn't want to mislead any of my customers into thinking that there's a chance to see 2.9% or 3.9% or anything that low. When they introduced the all new 'award winning' malibu, they did have 2.9% over 60...so there's hope.