Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #15
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
What ethnicity were they? Did you get that AT THE LEAST? Yes, it matters because it's time to stop being "PC".
I don't think that's a PC issue in the first place, it matters to help identify people.

Sorry to hear about the ZL1, thieves suck. Hopefully insurance helps you out to get a new one, because I doubt it will be found in one piece. Professional enough to drive the car away that quick, they probably took the onstar out right away
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 AM   #16
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Sucks to hear it is still gone. GM really screwed up in where they located the onstar module, a lot of people rely on it to function, when it is easily removed during theft. Fortunately in the Bay Area the awareness is up, and people are creating their own solutions. I don't live near the bay, and don't bother to take my car near there. If you live anywhere near the bay and leave the car unattended, sadly it is just a matter of time. If you don't have an alternative disabling method, you need one NOW! These cars are stolen from places of work, quick stops at the store, off of dealer lots, and from driveways.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #17
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
This makes me think about wanting to drop the glove box and relocate or weld in a secure box over the Onstar unit.... A friend of mine just moved up to the bay area and I warned him about how often Camaros are stolen up there. Sorry to hear OP...
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balue View Post
This makes me think about wanting to drop the glove box and relocate or weld in a secure box over the Onstar unit.... A friend of mine just moved up to the bay area and I warned him about how often Camaros are stolen up there. Sorry to hear OP...
Kill switch is easier
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
DSSTER

Drives: Protoured 70 Nova & 70 Camaro
Thanks for all the comments guys.

The San Jose police athourity is no big help either since they couldn't even make a case out of it because it wasnt big enough since they are short of people, I totally understand but it's sucks for the people like me or everyone that had similar situation.

I forgot to mentioned that this is my second Camaro that got stolen in the San Jose area. It's a 2010 2SS summit white without the stripes. They stoled it at dgdg Chevy dealership in the parking lot at day time and followed with 3 or more new camaros at night time 8hrs later after they stoled mine. This happen around May 2014. Oakland police found my car strip to the metal but they left a lot of v6 parts inside the trunk though.

I don't think I'm ever going to buy a Camaro again, it's not meant to be I have 2 4th gen that I wrecked between 2003 and 2009 and followed with 2 5th gen that got stolen so it's all bad luck for me. I'm staying old school from this point on since both of my protouring car stays inside the garage.
DSSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #20
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSTER View Post

The San Jose police athourity is no big help either since they couldn't even make a case out of it because it wasnt big enough since they are short of people, I totally understand but it's sucks for the people like me or everyone that had similar situation.

I forgot to mentioned that this is my second Camaro that got stolen in the San Jose area. It's a 2010 2SS summit white without the stripes. They stoled it at dgdg Chevy dealership in the parking lot at day time and followed with 3 or more new camaros at night time 8hrs later after they stoled mine. This happen around May 2014. Oakland police found my car strip to the metal but they left a lot of v6 parts inside the trunk though.

I don't think I'm ever going to buy a Camaro again, it's not meant to be I have 2 4th gen that I wrecked between 2003 and 2009 and followed with 2 5th gen that got stolen so it's all bad luck for me. I'm staying old school from this point on since both of my protouring car stays inside the garage.
Unless someone's just trying to get you into a 6th gen

Or hey, 5th times the charm for a 5th gen? lol sorry situation sucks but gotta make the best of it, cant let thieves decide what you drive really
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #21
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
I would demand my money back from Onstar!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #22
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Kill switch is easier
Both!
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #23
Balasarius

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I dont think that was ever the case. You can't just plug in a new PCM and fire up the car. Too many things need to talk to one another and sync correctly when a new one is installed. Plus there are too many variables. Not every Camaro is the same. They would need to bring a trunk full off PCM's.
Well, that's how they do it, they replace the ECM with one they've hacked.
  • First they kick in the fog lights to get to the alarm horn wire, which they then cut
  • Break the door lock with a screwdriver.
  • Open door and pop the hood
  • Remove factory ECM and replace it
  • Go back into the driver's seat, rip off the plastic around the steering wheel and hotwire it. Once the ECM's been replaced there's hardly any security left.
I've spoken with a lead detective on the Alameda County Regional Auto Theft Task Force (ACRATT) to get this information.

Onstar is useless.
Balasarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #24
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
  • First they kick in the fog lights to get to the alarm horn wire, which they then cut
  • Go back into the driver's seat, rip off the plastic around the steering wheel and hotwire it. Once the ECM's been replaced there's hardly any security left.
I've spoken with a lead detective on the Alameda County Regional Auto Theft Task Force (ACRATT) to get this information.

Onstar is useless.
The security programming of the car isn't contained within the underhood ECM.

And yes, OnStar is useless.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #25
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post

Onstar is useless.
In the Bay Area you need to have Revelco. I work in hayward would not even trust parking my car at work with out it.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #26
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
In the Bay Area you need to have Revelco. I work in hayward would not even trust parking my car at work with out it.
You commute from Oakley to Hayward?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #27
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
You commute from Oakley to Hayward?
Yes everyday.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #28
eviltwin_1987

Drives: 15' SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSTER View Post

This is probably the most mature thing I have ever read after someone's vehicle was stolen. It sucks but the chances of your car showing up somewhere is little to none. Cheap Hondas will be found still driving around after being stolen but performance cars that are stolen by professionals are usually in pieces or headed to Mexico within hours of being stolen. Hope your insurance company takes care of you.