Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Aren't we all so damn lucky! It is gettin' really good! All these awesome American Muscle Cars to choose from! Not only they can go straight in a hurry, now they can hold their own in bendy tracks. Sweet!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Not to side track but latest motor trend did a laguna seca run on a Corvettte, Gt500 and a Nissan GTR the nissan smoked them all 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. ZL1 or Boss will have a hard time with it.
That race was at Willow Springs, not Laguna Seca...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Well i personaly expected nothing but PERFECTION out of the boss at laguna. Was the car not built on that track. i rember watching the show on speed about the creation of the new boss 302 and it was doing all of its testing on laguna seca.
on a short track like laguna the boss has the ZL1 beat. but bring the boss to the nuribergring where the ZL1 was built i a can see the ZL1 killing the boss.

but we wont see any reviews about the ZL1 till 2012.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #32
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
I'd really like to see what numbers the SSX puts down seeing as it would be pretty much a direct competitor to the Boss LS. It would interesting to compare the two.
Maybe the Boss 302S would be a better compro.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/12/09...ready-to-race/

or the 302R

BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #33
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
Well i personaly expected nothing but PERFECTION out of the boss at laguna. Was the car not built on that track. i rember watching the show on speed about the creation of the new boss 302 and it was doing all of its testing on laguna seca.
on a short track like laguna the boss has the ZL1 beat. but bring the boss to the nuribergring where the ZL1 was built i a can see the ZL1 killing the boss.

but we wont see any reviews about the ZL1 till 2012.
You're probably right, its gonna take a driver with balls of steel behind the wheel of the Boss 302 just to keep up with a ZL1 around the ring due to IRS and magnetic dampers being far superior on uneven surfaces like the ring. I would love to see a Boss 302 Nürburgring edition with IRS and then it shouldn't have a problem on the surface changes. I guess Ford figured more of its target market would be visiting tracks like the 3.2 mile VIR, 2.2 Laguna Seca, 2.5 mile Infineon Raceway and 2.5 mile Willow Springs versus the 13-15 mile Nürburgring that's on the other side of the planet.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #34
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'm confident the ZL1 will best the 2011 GT500 in just about all performance areas (who knows what the 2012 version will bring....too bad by the time the ZL1 is out, the 2012 will be just around the corner).
The 2012 GT500 is already shipping and should start showing up at dealers anytime, same with the 2012 Boss 302. The 2013 MY GT500(if there is one)will be out around the time the 2012 ZL1 hits the street.
Fun times!!
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Remember when American cars couldnt handle for shit? Especially mustangs and camaros?

Looks like the stereotype is gone imo.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #36
BigDan

Yes isnt the future great.

There's even parts now to turn those old POS Mustangs and I think Camaros into Porsche and BMW killers on the track.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #37
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Yes isnt the future great.

There's even parts now to turn those old POS Mustangs and I think Camaros into Porsche and BMW killers on the track.
Absolutely. Imo american cars in general are walking all over imports in the performance category. To me thats a big deal because for the last 10 years almost there were a lot of imports that were faster for the price than american cars. Now American cars are just about the fastest in almost all price categories.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arent the base model v6 camaros and mustangs the fastest new cars for the money? ~22k

the ss and 5.0 gts are also about the fastest new cars for the money too?

A now with this Boss Mustang and probably the Z28 that will be similar I believe they too are fastest?

Good stuff
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #38
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Absolutely. Imo american cars in general are walking all over imports in the performance category. To me thats a big deal because for the last 10 years almost there were a lot of imports that were faster for the price than american cars. Now American cars are just about the fastest in almost all price categories.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arent the base model v6 camaros and mustangs the fastest new cars for the money? ~22k

the ss and 5.0 gts are also about the fastest new cars for the money too?

A now with this Boss Mustang and probably the Z28 that will be similar I believe they too are fastest?

Good stuff
Hey now there's still the 285-hp Dodge Caliber SRT4, mid-13/0-60 in 4s WRX, and umm.... Mazdaspeed3 maybe ? Hmm... yeah that's about it.... But those are fwd or awd(which could be a good thing ?) so depends...

Anyhow if I was looking for just a flat out fun car(not necessarily the fastest) I would personally rather have a 300-hp fwd car. With awd it's not that fun, with rwd the only thing going for it is donuts in the fun factor....
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #39
BigDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
I would personally rather have a 300-hp fwd car.

You have to be joking, if not I believe you sir are the only person on C5 that would rather have a 300hp FWD vs RWD or AWD. I don't even think you could get a 300whp SRT-4 owner to agree with you
Old 03-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #40
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post

You have to be joking, if not I believe you sir are the only person on C5 that would rather have a 300hp FWD vs RWD or AWD. I don't even think you could get a 300whp SRT-4 owner to agree with you
Seriously. In order of fun, I would consider fwd dead last. It's the worst handling and traction in any kind of performance.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #41
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Let a pro driver with some seat time have at it in a ZL1 and I bet you'd be surprised at how well it does. Actually, do that for any car on that list and the times will likely improve, unless it was already intended to be a record setting run (like the Dodge Viper) in which case, improvements will be minimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Couldn't have said that better myself, The SVT Cobra would use a Twin Turbo forged Boss engine using twin Garrett's in the valley. Unless Ford wants to go out with a bang and bring the Cobra out for its 20th anniversary in 2013. Ford will have to cut production of the V6's and GT's anyway so thats more room for special models that will obviously sell.
Ford won't have to cut production, they have extra capacity. And special models hardly ever squeeze out regular production cars. Their purpose is to draw attention to the car & brand in order to boost sales. If you have to cut production to do that, you're being stupid. And Ford isn't stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Remember when American cars couldnt handle for shit? Especially mustangs and camaros?

Looks like the stereotype is gone imo.
I disagree. If anything, Camaros and Mustangs have been among the best handling domestics, particularly if you look at models like the Boss 302 or the Z28. They weren't straight line bruisers like their big block bretheren. There were designed for road courses. Plus, the cars themselves were a bit smaller than most of the muscle cars of the day, making them a bit more nimble and responsive than say a Dodge Charger. This is what seperated the pony cars from the muscle cars, the ability to handle and probably a big part of why their names are still around when others like the Chevelle are long gone.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #42
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Not to side track but latest motor trend did a laguna seca run on a Corvettte, Gt500 and a Nissan GTR the nissan smoked them all 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. ZL1 or Boss will have a hard time with it.
The GTR is $90,000. I don't think Ford & GM have to worry about Nissan stealing their ZL1/Z28/Boss/GT500 customers over that car. If anything it would be the 370z(lol), and here are the sales for the previous 2 years.

2009 - 13,117
2010 - 10,215

Don't forget maintenance costs on Godzilla, so over the course of a year(if you were to DD it), it ends up costing more than a ZR1 (correct me if I'm wrong).

The Oil, Transmission Fluid, Differential Fluid, etc... is insanely expensive. Don't forget labor hours.

Last edited by Epitaph; 03-09-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote