Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-10-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
sandiego74

Drives: 1974 Chevrolet Camaro,
Afternarket Upgrade to Factory NPP Exhaust?

I’ve already pulled the 10A fuse that controls the NPP valves, and I love the sound, but it’s still a bit too quiet for me. Are there any aftermarket exhaust kits that retain the ability to utilize the factory NPP connections? I’ve seen a few exhaust kits from Hooker and Borla that appear to have a vacuum line hookup for the factory NPP connections, but I’m not entirely sure. Here’s an example of the Hooker setup: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...maro/year/2014

If these do work with the NPP, can anyone chime in on how loud they are and if the drone is obnoxious? I know those two things are objective, and I’ve listened to many clips on YouTube of Borla and Hooker.

Also, I’m in CA, so as much as I would like to just get long-tube headers and get rid of the cats, I can’t, unfortunately.
sandiego74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Get a Corsa system from Phastek and call it day. You obviously don't care for NPP anyway.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Get a Corsa system from Phastek and call it day. You obviously don't care for NPP anyway.
If i didn’t want to retain the NPP, I would just cut the mufflers out and put on some Flowmaster Super 10 mufflers and, maybe, be happy. Corsa is the best, but there’s no way I’m spending that much money on an exhaust to lose the NPP.

If the Hooker or Borla kits have too much highway drone, that’s why the NPP hookups are desirable to keep.

Last edited by sandiego74; 03-11-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:35 AM   #4
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego74 View Post
I’ve already pulled the 10A fuse that controls the NPP valves, and I love the sound, but it’s still a bit too quiet for me. Are there any aftermarket exhaust kits that retain the ability to utilize the factory NPP connections? I’ve seen a few exhaust kits from Hooker and Borla that appear to have a vacuum line hookup for the factory NPP connections, but I’m not entirely sure. Here’s an example of the Hooker setup: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...maro/year/2014

If these do work with the NPP, can anyone chime in on how loud they are and if the drone is obnoxious? I know those two things are objective, and I’ve listened to many clips on YouTube of Borla and Hooker.

Also, I’m in CA, so as much as I would like to just get long-tube headers and get rid of the cats, I can’t, unfortunately.
Im in north county. I said **** it and got long tubes. It sounds amazing with the npp.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Totally agree here!! Corsa for me all day long!! Took me quite a while to finally come around, and wasted a lot of money on other setups where I should have just did the Corsa the first time. Live and learn. lol.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
If i didn’t want to retain the NPP, I would just cut the mufflers out and put on some Flowmaster Super 10 mufflers and, maybe, be happy. Corsa is the best, but there’s no way I’m spending that much money on an exhaust to lose the NPP.

If the Hooker or Borla kits have too much highway drone, that’s why the NPP hookups are desirable to keep.
You don't want to put any "dronemasters" in there, trust me on that one. I had the ZL1 3 inch Outlaw quad tip catback on there and the mufflers were chambered and the drone was so bad at cruising speeds I would end up with a headache after only 2 or so hours. Did the Corsa because they advertise "no drone", and there ISN'T any!! Super quiet cruising, but you get into it and wow!! Idling and throttling up she sounds just amazing!!
Old 03-13-2023, 07:55 PM   #7
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
You don't want to put any "dronemasters" in there, trust me on that one. I had the ZL1 3 inch Outlaw quad tip catback on there and the mufflers were chambered and the drone was so bad at cruising speeds I would end up with a headache after only 2 or so hours. Did the Corsa because they advertise "no drone", and there ISN'T any!! Super quiet cruising, but you get into it and wow!! Idling and throttling up she sounds just amazing!!
Okay, so the Flowmaster was a joke haha. However, I am coming around to shelling out the money for the Corsa. I know what it’s like to spend money multiple times to on exhaust when I know I should’ve just spent it all at once to begin with and would have been happy. Buy once, cry once.

So, with that being said, there is a $150 rebate on the Corsa Sport Quad Tip right now, which is what I would go with. Would this be significantly louder than the factory NPP? I’ve seen a few videos and read a few things elsewhere that seem to suggest the Sport isn’t much louder. I’d rather buy the Hooker, if that’s the case.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:10 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Okay, so the Flowmaster was a joke haha. However, I am coming around to shelling out the money for the Corsa. I know what it’s like to spend money multiple times to on exhaust when I know I should’ve just spent it all at once to begin with and would have been happy. Buy once, cry once.

So, with that being said, there is a $150 rebate on the Corsa Sport Quad Tip right now, which is what I would go with. Would this be significantly louder than the factory NPP? I’ve seen a few videos and read a few things elsewhere that seem to suggest the Sport isn’t much louder. I’d rather buy the Hooker, if that’s the case.
That is the same system I have on my Camaro. You will be please with the fit and finish and the quality of it, I was!! Mine is just as loud as the "extreme" system you can get, I think as I have heard them at the shows I attend on the vettes. I also have off road mids, no cats. The second video is my Camaro, it is the only video I have of it at the moment. And yea, it should be louder than the NPP, if you have headers, that helps with the loud factor.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cama...8562174322335/
Old 03-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #9
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
Im in north county. I said **** it and got long tubes. It sounds amazing with the npp.
How’d you pull that off? Getting the headers and getting the car smogged, I mean? I know some people who know some people that will pass a car for some extra funds, but still unsure of the idea.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #10
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
How’d you pull that off? Getting the headers and getting the car smogged, I mean? I know some people who know some people that will pass a car for some extra funds, but still unsure of the idea.
If you know some people that knows some people then might as well do it lol a vendor on here shipped it when they were running their sales/discounts.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #11
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Don't mess with the NPP, and add NOWEEDS! I have this setup and love it. Quiet/normal when needed and balls out loud anytime I want.

I also added a 3 way switch to the NPP so I can force the valves closed and run in stealth mode for all the HOA Karens in the neighborhood.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote