Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #29
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Um, the automatics are generally quicker than the Manuals, remember the SRTs aren't neutered of 26 HP like the auto Camaro. Truth i the current R/T automatic Challenger is a good race for a L99 Camaro.
Noo...not at all. I am not sure on the weight ratio between the Charger and Challenger, but I walked, and yes I'm using that word harshly, on a R/T Charger badly when I only had an axle-back exhaust on my car. R/T had full exhaust and intake, both of us were automatics. I'm not hating on the car, I love how they are...but SRT's are still the best match up for the SS, not an R/T.

The Charger's and Challenger's have the same motor right?
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Driver weight matters more in lighter cars than heavier cars so it would hurt the Camaro more than it would hurt the Challenger.
I don't get what you mean by that...adding extra weight is adding extra weight no matter how light/heavy the car is.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #31
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Noo...not at all. I am not sure on the weight ratio between the Charger and Challenger, but I walked, and yes I'm using that word harshly, on a R/T Charger badly when I only had an axle-back exhaust on my car. R/T had full exhaust and intake, both of us were automatics. I'm not hating on the car, I love how they are...but SRT's are still the best match up for the SS, not an R/T.

The Charger's and Challenger's have the same motor right?
No.

Depending on the year the HP rating can be between 35(06-08) and 5 (09-10). The Charger is also less aggressively geared as standard, weighs more and is less aggressively tuned. The exhaust is also more restrictive.

Charger and Challenger are two different animals.

My car runs, on average, 13.3/4's in 1900+ foot DA. Adjusted for sea level I run 13 flat to 13.2's. I only have a CAI, stock tune, tires, exhaust, everything except the intake.

That Charger was likely only putting down 290ish HP to the wheels. I put down 335 HP to the wheels.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #32
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
The LS3 is only faster if you have a good enough driver, with autos the times r more solid and stay in the same range but with a manual you can have a larger range of times
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
I don't get what you mean by that...adding extra weight is adding extra weight no matter how light/heavy the car is.
180 lbs added to a 3900 lb car changes the power/weight ratio more than 180 lbs added to a 4200 lb car. Its just like adding 20 hp does more to help a lighter car than a heavier one, adding a fixed amount of weight hurts a lighter car more than it hurts a heavier one.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #34
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthknight72 View Post
I just hope we dont get to the point where we are putting V-6's in our Camaro's.
But we already are, and now more than ever they run very well, thank you.

The V-6s re getting better and better all the time, too, especially Ford's Ecoboost and GM's answer they're giving to Cadillac. Outside America, well, who'd want to run their SS against a Porsche 911? Yes, it's 3-4 times the cost of an SS, double what the Z28 is expected to be and is comparably light-weight, but technology will make these engines much more affordable and widespread in time, sooner rather than later if this green movement keeps up. If this car is to stay around, we can't be afraid to face the possibility of someday buying a twin-turbo six-cylinder Camaro that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds just because it doesn't have a V8. Certainly I think the performance has to be up to expectations for that to happen, but if it does, I for one will welcome it. Maybe they can add speakers in the engine bay to pump out a V8 roar for the old-timer purists to enjoy, as well.

As for not comparing the SRT-8 to the SS over its price, I don't get that at all. Maybe it is or will be a bit faster than the SS, but its horsepower ratings and track performance are way closer to those of the SS and Mustang GT than the GT500 and Z28. I'm sure there's plenty of people who push out their chests saying "look at me!" when their SS beats a car as expensive as a SRT-8, so how is it fair to exclude competition when they best us?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
No.

Depending on the year the HP rating can be between 35(06-08) and 5 (09-10). The Charger is also less aggressively geared as standard, weighs more and is less aggressively tuned. The exhaust is also more restrictive.

Charger and Challenger are two different animals.

My car runs, on average, 13.3/4's in 1900+ foot DA. Adjusted for sea level I run 13 flat to 13.2's. I only have a CAI, stock tune, tires, exhaust, everything except the intake.

That Charger was likely only putting down 290ish HP to the wheels. I put down 335 HP to the wheels.
Yes, so modded you're running what a STOCK L99 is running. Throw those mods onto an L99 and hello mid 12s.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #36
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
But we already are, and now more than ever they run very well, thank you.

The V-6s re getting better and better all the time, too, especially Ford's Ecoboost and GM's answer they're giving to Cadillac. Outside America, well, who'd want to run their SS against a Porsche 911? Yes, it's 3-4 times the cost of an SS, double what the Z28 is expected to be and is comparably light-weight, but technology will make these engines much more affordable and widespread in time, sooner rather than later if this green movement keeps up. If this car is to stay around, we can't be afraid to face the possibility of someday buying a twin-turbo six-cylinder Camaro that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds just because it doesn't have a V8. Certainly I think the performance has to be up to expectations for that to happen, but if it does, I for one will welcome it. Maybe they can add speakers in the engine bay to pump out a V8 roar for the old-timer purists to enjoy, as well.

As for not comparing the SRT-8 to the SS over its price, I don't get that at all. Maybe it is or will be a bit faster than the SS, but its horsepower ratings and track performance are way closer to those of the SS and Mustang GT than the GT500 and Z28. I'm sure there's plenty of people who push out their chests saying "look at me!" when their SS beats a car as expensive as a SRT-8, so how is it fair to exclude competition when they best us?
He's not discrediting the v6. It's just a common view that v6s don't belong in iconic muscle cars and I believe this is what he meant.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
He's not discrediting the v6. It's just a common view that v6s don't belong in iconic muscle cars and I believe this is what he meant.
Right, they should have straight 6's just like they had back in the day, or are we supposed to forget about that?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #38
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
No.
You sure about that?

Dodge's site says they have the same engine. As a matter of fact it has the Charger R/T rated a few hp higher than the Challenger R/T. The SRTs are rated identical.

Of course I agree with you there are weight and gearing differences between the two models, but he asked about the motor.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #39
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Yes, so modded you're running what a STOCK L99 is running. Throw those mods onto an L99 and hello mid 12s.
Throw a CAI without a tune onto a L99 and hello mid 12's? What the hell are you smoking?

My Challenger reduce 200 pounds from my Challenger and it would be in the high 12's also at sea level.

Again, all I have is a untuned CAI with a stock exhaust and everything else. Best time, in 1500 foot DA was 13.266.

Intake= K&N Series 63 CAI, the rest of my car is bone stock, right to the tires, from when I bought it on October 20th 2009.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #40
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
You sure about that?

Dodge's site says they have the same engine. As a matter of fact it has the Charger R/T rated a few hp higher than the Challenger R/T. The SRTs are rated identical.

Of course I agree with you there are weight and gearing differences between the two models, but he asked about the motor.
Yep, pretty sure:

2010 Challenger R/T w/ Auto= Dodge rated 372 HP

2010 Charger R/T w/ Auto=368 HP
Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #41
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Quote:
Throw a CAI without a tune onto a L99 and hello mid 12's? What the hell are you smoking?

My Challenger reduce 200 pounds from my Challenger and it would be in the high 12's also at sea level.

Again, all I have is a untuned CAI with a stock exhaust and everything else. Best time, in 1500 foot DA was 13.266.

Intake= K&N Series 63 CAI, the rest of my car is bone stock, right to the tires, from when I bought it on October 20th 2009.
lol I read that wrong. I thought you were saying you had cai tires exhaust. I didn't see the "stock" part :P My bad.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #42
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
lol I read that wrong. I thought you were saying you had cai tires exhaust. I didn't see the "stock" part :P My bad.
Nope, I am stock except for the CAI.

Tags
6.4 hemi, dodge, srt8