Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #15
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Look at the 1/4 times, speed. The 1/8th mile is off as well.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
All great comments my Camaro5 brethren. Shhh about the electric supercharger (actually, I using two Craftsman Model# 79481 gas leaf blowers).

I know I'm definitely not pulling 350 at the rear wheels. 350 at the crank? Probably not. More like 330 (crossing my fingers).

I'll be stopping in to see these guys tomorrow and see what they can tell me, and yes, I see another dyno run at a different shop very soon.

Thanks!!
Dude maybe you got a Wednesday car, a ringer! Woooooooooooot!
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Spicoli

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Must be a Wednesday car.

Talked to the speedshop this morning and they are standing by their numbers. "Well, it was a cool crisp morning, you've got a cold air intake, we were pushing fresh cool air in the front with a fan, every dyno is different, those other guys must have tested in third gear, etc., etc., etc."

So, I guess I have a 350 RWHP V6 Camaro. LOL!!!!!

It could have been the Shell 93 octane I filled up with that morning..... and I've heard that the gill decals are good for at least 15RWHP. And I know the pistol grip shifter I just installed a couple of weeks ago is good for at least 25RWHP - it looks that cool. At least I've got a piece of paper I can use in an argument with the local 16 year olds.

Do you think it would be too much to get a vanity plate that says "350HPV6"?

Next stop, another shop.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Hrrmmm...so apparantly on your car an intake and good gas adds 100HP.

SWEET!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Must be a Wednesday car.

Talked to the speedshop this morning and they are standing by their numbers. "Well, it was a cool crisp morning, you've got a cold air intake, we were pushing fresh cool air in the front with a fan, every dyno is different, those other guys must have tested in third gear, etc., etc., etc."

So, I guess I have a 350 RWHP V6 Camaro. LOL!!!!!

It could have been the Shell 93 octane I filled up with that morning..... and I've heard that the gill decals are good for at least 15RWHP. And I know the pistol grip shifter I just installed a couple of weeks ago is good for at least 25RWHP - it looks that cool. At least I've got a piece of paper I can use in an argument with the local 16 year olds.

Do you think it would be too much to get a vanity plate that says "350HPV6"?

Next stop, another shop.
Wow L99 don't even have 350 RWHP, I guess your VS is a SS killer
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianko View Post
There's quite a bit of misinformation here, almost don't know where to start. Since I do own a performance shop with a Mustang dyno, I figure I'm somewhat qualified to make some minor corrections to what you perceive as "facts".

I can't vouch for the DD dynos, but I can assure you the mass on the rollers of a Mustang dyno are tied to a 2000# flywheel to provide inertia to the system. The rollers themselves (at least on an MD250) provide 500# of mass to the system. I would hardly call 2500# "very little mass." In fact, IIRC, the mass of a DynoJet roller is close to the same as that on the MD250.

Actually, the term you're looking for is "load cell." All current Mustang dynos are eddy current dynos, meaning they have one or more PAUs. The purpose of the PAUs is to provide additional rolling resistance to simulate aerodynamic drag and the weight of the vehicle. While these PAUs are strong enough to stop the rolling mass of just about any vehicle (they are actually locomotive brakes), the software uses a feedback loop to hold the rollers in a steady state at a given RPM.

Actually, non-linearity for the S-beam style load cell used on the MD250 is on the order of 0.03%. For a 1000-lb load cell, that equates to 30 lbs at 1000 lbs perceived load. However, the "zero balance" on the load cell is calibrated to the nearest one-hundredth of a volt, using an iron weight stamped with a mass accurate to 0.005 lbs. So a typical calibration procedure would involve "zero balancing" the load cell so that the load cell reads within a certain range of the calibration weight multiplied by the moment arm on the PAU. IOW, calibration is accurate down to tenths of a pound.

You should ask your friendly Mustang dyno operator if he calibrates regularly, and if so when was the last time he calibrated. Typically, a "zero balance" is done prior to each vehicle running on the dyno. In the 6 years I've owned my dyno, I've never seen the load cell calibration out of range by more than a couple hundredths of a volt (equal to a few tenths of a pound mass).

So we get to the crux of the story: You really don't own a Mustang dyno. What makes you qualified then to comment on them?

I usually don't see more than 1-2 HP difference when performing sequential dyno runs with the same vehicle. Actually, your statement does hold some weight: Dyno numbers will be different from dyno to dyno *regardless* of whether it's a DynoJet, Mustang, DD, or whatever.

I'm not sure what you point is here, but if you're going to bash other dynos, you might as well get your so-called "facts" in line first. There is already so much misinformation out there that you really don't help the tuning community by continuing to spread your FUD.
Dude, hold ur horses there buddy. Why are u getting so personal? Oh nevermind, u own a mustang lol. Anyway, i am not here bashing anyone or trying to call u out or misinforming. I am simply trying to give my fellow v6ers the other side of mustang or dd that most of the avg joe do not know about. Alot of these peoples go spend there hard earned dollars and end up with the wrong results all simply because the op fail to setup properly. I am just trying to make a point here that it is very easy to manipulate the outcome of a mustang or dd than ur usual dynojet with just simple info u enter on the screen. but as long as its setup properly than the customer wont come out with a result that tell them they have 10 or 3000 hp when in reality is not even close. I can care less if u think i am giving false info. The mustang dyno results some folks walk out with speak for itself.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Dude your car is all ate up with motor. Admit it.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
Spicoli

Fellas, fellas, fellas. I posted to have a little fun. Yes, I got crazy results. Yes, it was a Mustang dyno. Yes, I think it was operator error on my setup. Do I think I could get similar results on a Dynojet with a bad setup? Yes!!! What's key here is I have a 350HP V6 SS killer. LOL!!!!

Going to get another dyno run in the future. Soon. At another shop. Might be a Mustang, might be a Dynojet. All that matters is that I'm having fun. :-)
Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
Spicoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Dude your car is all ate up with motor. Admit it.
Guilty as charged.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #24
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I admit my grammar, and spelling, are both poor, however, it is difficult to read u r ur and other texting as real words. But hey, I'm an old man.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #25
Spicoli

Ok. New dyno run today. A little more reasonable. I'll take 247/227.

Last edited by Spicoli; 08-27-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
brianko
Never enough time

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Alot of these peoples go spend there hard earned dollars and end up with the wrong results all simply because the op fail to setup properly. I am just trying to make a point here that it is very easy to manipulate the outcome of a mustang or dd than ur usual dynojet with just simple info u enter on the screen.
So now I'm curious: How does the 224xLC account for "real world" conditions (aerodynamic drag, vehicle weight, etc.) if it requires no operator input regarding the vehicle being tested?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Darn - I was hoping you found some magical motor setup that escaped gm proving grounds. The stuff of urban legend.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #28
Spicoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Darn - I was hoping you found some magical motor setup that escaped gm proving grounds. The stuff of urban legend.
I KNOW!!! You and me both. But I still have that piece of paper that says 351 hp.