Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
camaro10

Drives: 2012 45TH Anniversary SS
Well, I did my part!

My newest edition, Chevy V8 Power!
camaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
Mustang numbers were probably up because of the $3,000 cash allowance. Think how much the Camaro numbers would jump with that kind discount. Maybe with that kind of price break they would finally have good lease numbers for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Wow, crazy. That's the first time in a long time Mustang has been ahead.
bought mine Feb 27th, so don't blame me
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
bought mine Feb 27th, so don't blame me
It's your fault sir!
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbtwilli View Post
Mustang numbers were probably up because of the $3,000 cash allowance. Think how much the Camaro numbers would jump with that kind discount. Maybe with that kind of price break they would finally have good lease numbers for me.
Yup! That's it. I checked; here in Michigan, FoMoCo is offering $3000 cash back on Mustang. That's significant money, or as they say in the car business, "That's real money".

Alfie
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Manufacturers offering better deals is some kind of "cheating" ? lol
they should ALL do that!
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
To answer a question or two:

Sales figures represent sales of all model years within the timeframe. thus, if a dealer, for some reason still had a "new" 2010 Camaro in stock and reported the sale in February - it would reflect in the numbers.

the numbers you see, I believe, are total sales - as opposed to 'retail' sales.....meaning that it would include any deliveries to fleets - which would usually include businesses that purchase 10 or more new cars and trucks a year -- daily rentals - etc. These are sales within the United States only. Canada would keep separate records.

Sales numbers are double-checked by 'registration' data 60 days later. Registrations are provided to R.L. Polk Company by each state...and this is what keeps everyone 'honest' --

Someone mentioned that Mustang does, indeed offer $3,000 cash back - or Zero percent financing for 60 months.

Camaro is at $1,000 cash back or 3.9 percent financing for 60 months on 2011 models - and there's a lease offer in select states on 2012s.

I would suspect that this is why Mustang got a boost in sales this past month......

Sales do NOT include 'orders' that have not been produced - or ZL1s, SSs, and LS/LTs sitting at the assembly plant - or, in the case of SS/LS/LT - cars in transit or sitting on dealer lots. They do not include any GM 'internal cars'

Sales are exactly that: A sale where title has passed from dealer to owner(simply put).

Now -- some would say: "WELL! why don't you match the Mustang in terms of incentives?" - and there's a reason. Manufacturers are in the business to make money. Mustang has been outspending Camaro for quite some time now in terms of incentives - and it really wasn't working. Zero percent financing isn't inexpensive. (even with interest rates low) We constantly monitor the competition - we look at excruciatingly precise numbers that go for pages.....and when it's felt that we'll need to perhaps 'enrich' incentives, we'll do so with care.

(keep in mind that when we put big incentives on a 'new' car - the 'used' car of the same model drops in value....which means your Camaro's value would drop.....so it DOES impact you...)
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Still pretty strong sales for February. In fact if you look back it's the strongest February in the 5th gens 3 years. I call that a win. It just shows that the market is healthy and competition is strong. Go Camaro!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
To answer a question or two:

Sales figures represent sales of all model years within the timeframe. thus, if a dealer, for some reason still had a "new" 2010 Camaro in stock and reported the sale in February - it would reflect in the numbers.

the numbers you see, I believe, are total sales - as opposed to 'retail' sales.....meaning that it would include any deliveries to fleets - which would usually include businesses that purchase 10 or more new cars and trucks a year -- daily rentals - etc. These are sales within the United States only. Canada would keep separate records.

Sales numbers are double-checked by 'registration' data 60 days later. Registrations are provided to R.L. Polk Company by each state...and this is what keeps everyone 'honest' --

Someone mentioned that Mustang does, indeed offer $3,000 cash back - or Zero percent financing for 60 months.

Camaro is at $1,000 cash back or 3.9 percent financing for 60 months on 2011 models - and there's a lease offer in select states on 2012s.

I would suspect that this is why Mustang got a boost in sales this past month......

Sales do NOT include 'orders' that have not been produced - or ZL1s, SSs, and LS/LTs sitting at the assembly plant - or, in the case of SS/LS/LT - cars in transit or sitting on dealer lots. They do not include any GM 'internal cars'

Sales are exactly that: A sale where title has passed from dealer to owner(simply put).

Now -- some would say: "WELL! why don't you match the Mustang in terms of incentives?" - and there's a reason. Manufacturers are in the business to make money. Mustang has been outspending Camaro for quite some time now in terms of incentives - and it really wasn't working. Zero percent financing isn't inexpensive. (even with interest rates low) We constantly monitor the competition - we look at excruciatingly precise numbers that go for pages.....and when it's felt that we'll need to perhaps 'enrich' incentives, we'll do so with care.

(keep in mind that when we put big incentives on a 'new' car - the 'used' car of the same model drops in value....which means your Camaro's value would drop.....so it DOES impact you...)
Thank you, Scott!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #24
MI2010Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I'll venture that if you fly into Florida, Arizona or California from this date on and wanted to rent a convertible, I'd bet it would be a brand new "zero miles" Mustang! Various web sites (like Forbes, True Car) peg Ford's February 2012 fleet business as high as 32% of the total months sales. Nothing wrong with selling to fleets but they do dilute the value of the car to the retail customer. Ford also had to do something at its Flat Rock Michigan plant as they have lost (or about to loose) Mazda 6 production there. Some times it is less expensive for a manufacturer to keep a plant running (to build cars/trucks for a future loss) than it is to bring the plant down and send workers home, most of whom continue to collect pay/benefits. Just my .02
#143575 Delivered 9/14/09
MI2010Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
Manufacturers offering better deals is some kind of "cheating" ? lol
they should ALL do that!
No. That's stupid. Having to offer high incentives to move product is indicative of one or both of two things: 1) The product isn't good enough to sell on its own merits or 2) The manufacturer desperately needs to clear inventory to make room for a new or updated model.

Nobody wants to offer incentives unless they have to.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
No. That's stupid. Having to offer high incentives to move product is indicative of one or both of two things: 1) The product isn't good enough to sell on its own merits or 2) The manufacturer desperately needs to clear inventory to make room for a new or updated model.

That may be true, but a lot of folks know that some incentives for a car they are interested in shows up sooner or later anyways...so why not just wait for it...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

If you think giving the consumer a better deal so they will come back to you for more is stupid to each his own.

You should give your dealer extra money for your next new car since you care so much about their profits lol.
I am a consumer I am in it FOR ME.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
If you think giving the consumer a better deal so they will come back to you for more is stupid to each his own.

You should give your dealer extra money for your next new car since you care so much about their profits lol.
I am a consumer I am in it FOR ME.

This is high school level economics. You set a price for your product. If sales are high, you either maintain that price or raise it to make a larger profit. If sales are low, your only option is to lower the price somehow to build sales volume. It's not a matter of "giving customers a better deal," the better deal should already have been reflected in the initial pricing by offering a better product than your competitors for around the same price. If you have to offer incentives to move product then consumers obviously found a better value elsewhere.

You're fighting a losing battle on this. Ask anybody in the industry and they'll tell you that high incentives = problems.