Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
Anyone run native e85?

Besides a couple of sensors , an fittings, and hptuners to unlock the e85 parameters;

Would my stock fuel pump and injectors be adequate?

Thank you
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
DKT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
Besides a couple of sensors , an fittings, and hptuners to unlock the e85 parameters;

Would my stock fuel pump and injectors be adequate?

Thank you
We run e85 on pretty much everything.

As far as the stock fuel system components nothing needs to be changed to run e85.

You will need a tune, we use hptuners.

On a stock SS fuel pump and e85 we have done 500whp and thats just were we stopped. I can not answer how much further it will go.

Stock injectors will work for a stock engine and e85. After that we have never had a problem with Injector Dynamics and e85.

You can install a Flex Fuel sensor and have it run gasoline or e85 or any combinations of either.

My personal 2013 Camaro 1LE will always run e85.

Last edited by DKT; 12-28-2013 at 03:39 PM.
DKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
As I understand it, ethanol tends to eat gaskets and various rubber components of the fuel system. Are you sure nothing else needs to be modified for long-term E85 exposure?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As I understand it, ethanol tends to eat gaskets and various rubber components of the fuel system. Are you sure nothing else needs to be modified for long-term E85 exposure?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
ethanol being a corn based alcohol fuel is very drying to gaskets and trashes the gaskets of just 2% mixed oil small engines with just the 15% ethanol in the gas.. and yes people hate it being in the gas........... It has also been known to give issues even in its 15% mix to cars. BTW the USA someday has to get off its ethanol as its trashing the environment a lot more than the rewards if you keep on the news its due to get the ax someday as EPA is stupid and the undeveloped natural grass lands have been raped to try to grow corn to make fuel thus turning the soil and making tons of co2 by rot of the soil and disturbing natural grasslands that help the environment. They estimate it will take over 40 years of non ethanol fuel now if they completely stop with the ground turned back to natural grasslands to repair the damage done. Needless to say many of us knew the liberals were idiots when it came to this...... Now for Obamacare...........
Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jered@DKT View Post
Easiest way to look at it is if it is ok for 15% ethanol, its ok for 85% because there is ethanol in both.
You are correct 10 - 15% is fine, however 85% is not for engines that were not equipped for 85%.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Here we go again. I've had zero issues running E85 in my '02 WS6 for years and none in the Bee either. Everytime this subject comes up all the nay sayers come out.

OP, do what you want but to do it correctly you will need more fueling and larger injectors.

E85 requires ~30% more fuel than E10 and as was posted by Jered, 500 whp is about it on the stock fuel system, maybe a bit less.

More benefits FI than NA though. NA you will only see a ~5% power bump with a proper tune for it.

DSX Tuning has a flex fuel sensor kit for the Camaro's, parameters are available for flexfuel in the E38 ECU with HPTuners. DSteck posts regularly in the HPTuners forums.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 12-28-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Iam Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
ethanol being a corn based alcohol fuel is very drying to gaskets and trashes the gaskets of just 2% mixed oil small engines with just the 15% ethanol in the gas.. and yes people hate it being in the gas........... It has also been known to give issues even in its 15% mix to cars. BTW the USA someday has to get off its ethanol as its trashing the environment a lot more than the rewards if you keep on the news its due to get the ax someday as EPA is stupid and the undeveloped natural grass lands have been raped to try to grow corn to make fuel thus turning the soil and making tons of co2 by rot of the soil and disturbing natural grasslands that help the environment. They estimate it will take over 40 years of non ethanol fuel now if they completely stop with the ground turned back to natural grasslands to repair the damage done. Needless to say many of us knew the liberals were idiots when it came to this...... Now for Obamacare...........
I would like to see some data behind the broad statements about ethanol being worse for the environment than other fueling options. Why should USA get off a renewable source of fuel? I grow corn..turn it into ethanol...you put it your car. Rinse and repeat. We should be more interested in getting off of fossil fuels and keeping are energy dollars here. Sure there will be growing pains along the way, but they should be worked on. Not just say ethnol is bad. There may be some poor farming choices made by some, but the farming community takes very good care of their farmland. As not only does it support my family and many others. It feeds millions!

Typed on mobile device. ..not responsible for any errors!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
I wanted to convert my car to have the flex fuel capabilities. I want to Run e85 when I want, 93 pump gas when e85 is not available. I'm aware of the benefits, I'm just not sure if I need a boost a pump, or if the stock pump is sufficient. 42lb injectors should be suffice.

I don't give a **** about the environment or the politics behind it. I run no cats and proud of it.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Synner

Drives: cars
There's been a lot about why ethanol is worse to include higher food prices, water runoff issues, life cycle greenhouse gas emissions, etc. Watch the movie King Corn. Or search for scientific journal articles about ethanol being worse for the environment, there's been a number of them. Deciding on a fuel source that directly competes with our food supply isn't a good idea. And it only became a "good" idea when lobbyists got involved with large subsidies and legally mandating it. Hell even Al Gore admitted it was a bad choice and he's the biggest tree hugger of them all.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Taken from Fox News......

on August 13, the nation's petroleum industry formally asked the Environmental Protection Agency to reduce federal requirements on the amount of ethanol that refiners must blend with gasoline. The request claimed that existing ethanol standards hurt the economy and damage car engines.

That critique has been around for years. But it doesn't jibe with the facts. Indeed, Big Oil's call to loosen the nation's ethanol requirements is misguided.

Corn-based fuel has proven to be a clean-burning energy source. Its production creates jobs and reduces American dependence on foreign oil.

With carbon emissions at an all-time high, ethanol still offers one of the few workable and economically sound strategies for meeting the nation's environmental goals.

Last year, the ethanol industry supported nearly 400,000 jobs and contributed $30.2 billion to Americans' household income.
Because we are now seeing a flagging demand for gasoline and an unexpected surplus in ethanol supplies, the current ethanol requirement will require refiners to produce fuel containing more than 10 percent ethanol -- a blend known as "E10."

Big Oil industry groups argue that a higher ratio of ethanol will harm most automobile engines and force drivers to bear new costs for repair and maintenance.

This claim is flat-out false. The EPA has conducted exhaustive testing and found that blends as high as "E15" -- 15 percent ethanol -- are safe for all vehicles made in the last eleven years. In fact, E15 is such a high-performing fuel that it has been used to power the precision engines in NASCAR racecars.

Critics have also argued that ethanol production has driven up global food prices by cutting into the supply of corn. But the facts tell a different story.

As a sixth-generation Iowa farmer, I can tell you that corn is in plentiful supply in the United States and the world -- so much so that some farmers actually hold over excess corn from year to year.

Today, my husband, our two sons, and their families grow corn and soybeans and manage a seed business. Our families have farmed in Iowa for 7 generations. We are especially aware of the vicissitudes of our changing planet.

We also understand more than most the importance of living sustainably. It's for this reason that we take great pride in contributing to our nation's supply of grain for food, feed, and fuel.

The supposed problems with ethanol are non-existent.

Most of the money spent on food goes towards packaging, marketing, and fuel costs-agricultural products represent only a small fraction. In fact, a recent report from the World Bank shows that the rise in global food prices over the last few years was driven primarily by crude oil prices-not by homegrown ethanol.

However, ethanol's benefits are very real.

Ethanol contributes to the nation's energy security by easing our reliance on foreign oil. Thanks in large part to expanded ethanol use, America's crude oil imports dropped by about 12 percent in 2012. Since 2005, petroleum imports have fallen by about a third.

Meanwhile, money that would otherwise enrich dangerous nations abroad is creating jobs here in the United States and bolstering our country's agriculture sector.

Last year, the ethanol industry supported nearly 400,000 jobs and contributed $30.2 billion to Americans' household income. Many of those jobs were on family farms, like mine.

It's not surprising that the petroleum industry is fighting with all its might to discredit ethanol. According to just-released government data, global CO2 emissions hit an all-time high in 2011 -- and they're rising.

Fossil-fuel combustion is largely to blame, so the fossil-fuel industry has recognized that its very survival depends on demonizing those that offer greener alternatives.

Regardless of one's position on climate change, pressure is mounting to reduce the amount of carbon we emit into the atmosphere. Blending ethanol with our gasoline supply helps to significantly limit pollutants from combustion. Compared to gasoline, ethanol emits between 48 and 59 percent fewer greenhouse gases emissions, according to researchers at the University of Nebraska.

Ethanol isn't a dream for the future. It's proven now.

Ethanol presents a serious threat to petroleum firms' dominance and monopoly in the energy sector. That's why they've ramped up their anti-ethanol crusade.

Thanks to ethanol, America has a chance to reduce emissions and create jobs while sending fewer dollars to oil-rich -- and often hostile -- foreign countries.

Ethanol enables our country to thrive, keeping jobs in our rural communities, and enables the U.S. to utilize the resources we have here at home. That the petroleum lobby has been so relentless in vilifying this fuel is only more evidence of its value.

The above was taken from Foxnews.com

There are going to be many articles going both ways. Ethonal creates jobs and keeps more cash at home. It's big oil I would be more concerned with. Ethonal helps keep gas prices down.

Ethonal supports many small family farms and helps keep family farms alive. You kill ethonal and slowly strangle out small family farms...wait and see where gas prices and Food prices are then. Many people forget that this country was built around farming and now it's a dying resource.

No Farms..No Food

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
SlowTurtle

Drives: camaro turtle
'higher food prices' ethanol isnt made from the corn parts you eat. lol...
Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars

Last edited by Synner; 12-30-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel, gasoline is not.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote