Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #57
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Not enough people are fighters these days. I respect you a lot for having that spirit.
This old airman is humbled by your comments, sir.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #58
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Bump for Chris.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #59
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
For a road SS, is the 1LE track pac with FE3-FE4 conversion a good mod or are there better options?
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #60
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
For a road SS, is the 1LE track pac with FE3-FE4 conversion a good mod or are there better options?
It is definitely a pretty significant improvement over your stock set up. Swapping to that geometry with upgrades components is obviously going to be a bigger improvement, but for the typical street application it is not completely necessary. However, none of that is directly related to the wheel hop issue.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #61
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Even the 1LE benefits from cradle bushings. The differential bushings have been debated if they are necessary but they will improve the situation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #62
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Even the 1LE benefits from cradle bushings. The differential bushings have been debated if they are necessary but they will improve the situation.
Rear cradle bushings are a good idea across the board. Differential bushings are tricky because of the potential for gear noise.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #63
Jerry7297

Drives: 2018 2SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Rear cradle bushings are a good idea across the board. Differential bushings are tricky because of the potential for gear noise.
I got a 3.91 GM Pumpkin from you. When I install this I have the BMR BK029 Pro version Differential bushings. Should I install those on a set of 3.91s?

I AutoX don't really drag race but may someday but not much.
Jerry7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #64
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry7297 View Post
I got a 3.91 GM Pumpkin from you. When I install this I have the BMR BK029 Pro version Differential bushings. Should I install those on a set of 3.91s?

I AutoX don't really drag race but may someday but not much.
From a performance stand point differential bushings are beneficial, the issue is that when you install them it can be a roll of the dice. Even from the factory there are is a pretty wide range in how the gears are set up. Some are quieter and some louder and the soft stock bushings do an incredibly good job of insulting the driver from any amount of gear noise that may exist. When you drop a stiffer set in there you lose some of that and suddenly you may hear it. That is when we get phone calls about how swapping the differential bushings caused gear noise. No, the noise was always there. You can just hear it now.

The differential bushings are one of those areas where you need to know what you are getting into. You may not notice much noise but then again you could. You just need to do the math for yourself as to whether it is worth it or not.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #65
SSeniorMoment

Quote:
It is definitely a pretty significant improvement over your stock set up. Swapping to that geometry with upgrades components is obviously going to be a bigger improvement, but for the typical street application it is not completely necessary. However, none of that is directly related to the wheel hop issue.
Thank you for your response, my question should have been written clearer. Given a 1LE track pac suspension upgrade, are there other options to prevent wheel hop for those infrequent trips to the strip? Motor will be 416ci with 500+rwhp, custom Lunati billet core VVT cam.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #66
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Thank you for your response, my question should have been written clearer. Given a 1LE track pac suspension upgrade, are there other options to prevent wheel hop for those infrequent trips to the strip? Motor will be 416ci with 500+rwhp, custom Lunati billet core VVT cam.
The 1LE package will improve cornering capability over a standard SS but it will not do much to stop wheel hop. Especially when you are making significantly more power than a stock SS. None of the parts that are responsible for wheel hop are addressed with the 1LE package. To prevent wheel hop you need to address the components mentioned in the opening post; rear cradle bushings, rear trailing arms and bushings, toe rods and bushings, and at your power level the control arm bushings as well.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #67
SSeniorMoment

Quote:
The 1LE package will improve cornering capability over a standard SS but it will not do much to stop wheel hop. Especially when you are making significantly more power than a stock SS. None of the parts that are responsible for wheel hop are addressed with the 1LE package. To prevent wheel hop you need to address the components mentioned in the opening post; rear cradle bushings, rear trailing arms and bushings, toe rods and bushings, and at your power level the control arm bushings as well.
Thank you, I had the Pfadt mods sorted out; now it looks like I'll need to go with BMR and get tech advice for my build.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #68
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Thank you, I had the Pfadt mods sorted out; now it looks like I'll need to go with BMR and get tech advice for my build.
You can't go wrong with BMR. They have pretty much all the bases covered and their stuff is rock solid. All of the suspension and chassis upgrades under my car are BMR.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #69
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
We're here for ya! Just give me a call or send me a PM, I can get you hooked up with the right stuff to get a handle on that wheel hop. Or give Chase a call, he knows his stuff!!!

Quote:
You can't go wrong with BMR. They have pretty much all the bases covered and their stuff is rock solid. All of the suspension and chassis upgrades under my car are BMR.
Thanks for the kind words Chase!!! We appreciate having you as one of our best vendors.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #70
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
From a performance stand point differential bushings are beneficial, the issue is that when you install them it can be a roll of the dice. Even from the factory there are is a pretty wide range in how the gears are set up. Some are quieter and some louder and the soft stock bushings do an incredibly good job of insulting the driver from any amount of gear noise that may exist. When you drop a stiffer set in there you lose some of that and suddenly you may hear it. That is when we get phone calls about how swapping the differential bushings caused gear noise. No, the noise was always there. You can just hear it now.

The differential bushings are one of those areas where you need to know what you are getting into. You may not notice much noise but then again you could. You just need to do the math for yourself as to whether it is worth it or not.
Amen to this Chase...
reminds me of when folks discuss how a muzzle brake reduced the recoil of their rifle. NO IT DID NOT, it simply reduced the FELT recoil by redirecting the energy somewhere else. Basic physics- Every actiona has an equal and opposite reaction.

Tags
60 foot, apex motorsports, drag racing, traction, wheel hop