Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
To be fair, the Camaro is over 5 years old now without any major improvements other than a face lift, so it doesn't surprise me. I'd wait and see how that list pans out when the 6th gen comes out.
Agreed. It is far less impressive today as it was in 2010.

I expect the 2016 to be there, though. Assuming Chevy doesn't screw up.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEotcch View Post
Yeah but you know what I mean. Even GM advertises the car as something that should be used on the track. While it is street legal it's not the most daily driver friendly car. Something like a golf can go either way.

But no matter how many ways we slice it, street legal is street legal. It's not a purpose-built racing car. It meets standards for street-legal operation for ridiculous things like the weight of the seats, theft protection, etc. It's a factory street/track use car, not a factory race-only car, as impressive as it is. It's a more capable track car than a 1LE certainly but when I start peeling the onion, it's just a very strongly track-oriented car. And here's why-

I can compare and contrast this car and another one as a benchmark for 'race car': as evidence I submit for your review a recent vehicle for comparison, from Chevrolet, and even in the Camaro family- the recent COPO, non-DOT approved track car. That car is a real factory race car and the 'wink-wink-nudge-nudge' routine from Chevy is dropped for this car. It cannot be registered, and it carries no VIN.

Levels of comfort aside, the new z/28 is built to in fact to be adequate for daily use. Better choices for a daily driver simply means you'd prefer not to use it daily.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
z28 won it in '82.

Although the '82 edition was not a 'race car' in and of itself
That is an understatement LOL The Pace Car I owed in '82 had 145hp 305 and a very weak Tranny and Rearend. Man loved that car to death. T-tops and all and wish still had it. Have come along way. Just wonder how the 6th Gen will turn out. When the '82 came out, many people hated the change of the front end and said it would never sell. Didn't like it at first however it grew on a lot on people.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
BEEotcch

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
But no matter how many ways we slice it, street legal is street legal. It's not a purpose-built racing car. It meets standards for street-legal operation for ridiculous things like the weight of the seats, theft protection, etc. It's a factory street/track use car, not a factory race-only car, as impressive as it is. It's a more capable track car than a 1LE certainly but when I start peeling the onion, it's just a very strongly track-oriented car. And here's why-

I can compare and contrast this car and another one as a benchmark for 'race car': as evidence I submit for your review a recent vehicle for comparison, from Chevrolet, and even in the Camaro family- the recent COPO, non-DOT approved track car. That car is a real factory race car and the 'wink-wink-nudge-nudge' routine from Chevy is dropped for this car. It cannot be registered, and it carries no VIN.

Levels of comfort aside, the new z/28 is built to in fact to be adequate for daily use. Better choices for a daily driver simply means you'd prefer not to use it daily.

I agree with you 100% but those are probably all of the reasons that they did not select it as a car of the year candidate. That's why I'm road & track has a performance car of the year category. Fact of the matter is the Camaro model has gone largely unchanged for five years.